Reno to YV on a Sun.???

  • kent.mclemore
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
      Two of us are aiming to hike SoBo from HI to WP next Sept. We've got that part dialed in. What we can't figure out is how to get from our homes in the midwest to YV!
      We had planned to arrive in Reno on the Sun. before Labor Day, catch ESTA to Lee Vining, spend Sunday night there then catch the morning YARTS to YV. Unfortunately, ESTA does not operate on Sundays or Labor Day. Are there alternatives to getting from Reno to YV on a Sun.? We can get a great deal on airfare, so we are amenable to incurring some additional expense. We'd rent a car one way if there was an agency near the Valley. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    • Kim Fishburn
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
        Yarts may not be running in September in that area. This is from their site. You might be better off flying to San Francisco and taking public transportation to Yosemite, and then the Crest bus to Reno.

        "During the summer, YARTS also runs along Highway 120 East/395 to Lee Vining, June Lake Loop, and Mammoth Lakes."

        On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 7:08 AM, <kent.mclemore@...> wrote:

        Two of us are aiming to hike SoBo from HI to WP next Sept. We've got that part dialed in. What we can't figure out is how to get from our homes in the midwest to YV!
        We had planned to arrive in Reno on the Sun. before Labor Day, catch ESTA to Lee Vining, spend Sunday night there then catch the morning YARTS to YV. Unfortunately, ESTA does not operate on Sundays or Labor Day. Are there alternatives to getting from Reno to YV on a Sun.? We can get a great deal on airfare, so we are amenable to incurring some additional expense. We'd rent a car one way if there was an agency near the Valley. Any advice greatly appreciated.

      • ravi_jmt2013
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013

          Can you fly into Oakland or San Francisco instead?  I took Amtrak and YARTS from San Francisco to Yosemite Valley and it was a smooth and  uneventful trip. The train/bus combination runs on weekends.  I did fly out of Reno back to the east coast.  Flying into the Bay Area was quite a bit cheaper than my return flight from Reno so maybe you could get an even better airfare to SF/Oakland compared to Reno on your inbound flight.

          It might also be possible to take Amtrak from Reno to Sacramento, connecting to Merced and then taking YARTS into the valley but that would be a long trip.

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
            Don't get a traditional return trip flight; get instead a multi-destination flight (traditionally called a "open jaw" ticket).  Fly into either SF/Merced/Fresno -- your pick.  Merced is the easiest but will cost a little more.  Return from Reno.  Make sure your arrival dates at Lone Pine are on the day before a bus leaves for Reno, and your arrival date/time at Tuolume Meadows coincides with Post Office times there.

            _

          • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
              "Don't get a traditional return trip flight; get instead a multi-destination flight (traditionally called a "open jaw" ticket)"

              This is a very expensive option, I believe it can be double a fixed destination flight.

              Ken.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013

                  I would suggest using Southwest if at all possible.  Not only are two one way tickets the same cost as a round trip making open jaws available at no added cost but the airline is the only one that allows you to keep the value of your airfare if plans have to be changed.  While last minute changes can end up costing more due to the fact that the airfare itself usually goes up close to departure, at least those annoying $150-200 "change fees" are avoided.

                  On a long backpacking trip, it is nice to be able to make a reservation for a return flight knowing that not all of the money will be lost if a change is necessary at the end.

                  On added bonus: 2 bags free. I never check bags normally but I have to check backpacking gear.  I saved $100 in baggage fees this year by taking SW on two backpacking trips.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
                    Just an aside: I remember when flying used to be fun, but no more, particularly since United (the worst airline in the world) took over Continental - which was a great airline.

                    For the past two years I have had to change my flights from SFA after leaving the trail and each time the cost was in the hundreds - and just for United to do paper work!

                    Ken.

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ravi@...> wrote:

                    > I would suggest using Southwest if at all possible. Not only are two one way tickets the same cost as a round trip making open jaws available at no added cost but the airline is the only one that allows you to keep the value of your airfare if plans have to be changed. While last minute changes can end up costing more due to the fact that the airfare itself usually goes up close to departure, at least those annoying $150-200 "change fees" are avoided.
                    >

                    > On a long backpacking trip, it is nice to be able to make a reservation for a return flight knowing that not all of the money will be lost if a change is necessary at the end.
                    >

                    > On added bonus: 2 bags free. I never check bags normally but I have to check backpacking gear. I saved $100 in baggage fees this year by taking SW on two backpacking trips.
                    >

                    > ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <kenjessett@> wrote:
                    >
                    > "Don't get a traditional return trip flight; get instead a multi-destination flight (traditionally called a "open jaw" ticket)"
                    >
                    > This is a very expensive option, I believe it can be double a fixed destination flight.
                    >
                    > Ken.

                  • don.amundson
                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013

                      "Are there alternatives to getting from Reno to YV on a Sun.?"

                      Yes but pricey.  I cab fare would really add up and one of the shuttle services wouldn't be too cheap either.

                      Personally I would fly into Mammoth through Los Angeles.  Alaska Air has flights 7 days a week into Mammoth and if you run the numbers the fare is likely to be cheaper than flying into Reno. The YARTS bus from Mammoth to YV runs on weekends only in Sept.

                    • kent.mclemore
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013

                        Thanks everyone. I would love to fly into SF (my hometown!) but currently the airfare is nearly double that of flying into Reno. I just checked Fresno, and its $150 less than SFO. I also just reviewed Roleigh's "Getting from Fresno to YV" file (Amtrak to Merced, Yarts to YV). It's looking better all the time, especially since the whole trip can be done on a Sun. and Labor Day.

                        I'd fly Southwest but 1) it entails a two hour drive to/from Tulsa; 2) Southwest also does not fly into Fresno; 3) it looks like I can't book a flight on Southwest until very close to or after my permit application date (March 18).

                        Re: the SFO option, can we get from the city to YV and pick up permits in the same day? And does anyone have info on the bus from Fisherman's Wharf to YV? Can I purchase just a one way ticket, or am I paying for a tour/return trip I won't use?

                        Thanks again for your help!

                      • Stephanie Johnson
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
                          I have been looking into my flights as well. Plan so far is to fly into SF and take the amtrak to Merced, Yarts to YV. Then at the end- WP- haven't looked into how to get out- probably amtrak to LA. We are going to fly out of LA. This option instead of a round trip to same place seemed to be same cost almost exactly. The amtrak bus ticket I looked at was around $26 or something like that for one way I believe.

                          Sent from my iPhone
                        • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
                            From the SFA; the BART, the AMTRAK and the YARTS all tie in very well, although I always break my journey in Oakland at the Washington Hotel and get the AMTRAK the next morning at 7:30.

                            Next year though, I'm thinking I might get an earlier flight from Houston and try to do it all in one day.

                            Ken.

                            --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Johnson <stephanie.johnson87@...> wrote:

                            > I have been looking into my flights as well. Plan so far is to fly into SF and take the amtrak to Merced, Yarts to YV. Then at the end- WP- haven't looked into how to get out- probably amtrak to LA. We are going to fly out of LA. This option instead of a round trip to same place seemed to be same cost almost exactly. The amtrak bus ticket I looked at was around $26 or something like that for one way I believe.
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone

                          • brucelem12
                            Message 13 of 30 , Dec 4, 2013
                              +1 re considering/checking into flights into Mammoth. This was the cheapest for me the last couple of years coming from Texas. ( Los Angeles connection). YARTS bus to Yos Valley from Mammoth.
                              Mammoth is awesome for tons of marvelous hike options of any length for pre or post hikes if acclimating, schedule buffering, or finish a JMT hike early.
                              Bruce
                            • groundhogsteve
                              Message 14 of 30 , Dec 6, 2013
                                Another alternative coming out of WP is taking ESTA to Mojave (depart Lone Pine 9:40 am MWF, arrive Mojave 12:05 pm; Amtrak bus from Mojave to Bakersfield (depart Mojave 1:50 pm, arrive Bakersfield 3:30 pm) then take the San Joaquin train departing at 3:45 pm towards Fresno and the Bay Area.  It is a long day, but you can get back to San Francisco on MWF in September when YARTS only runs the Tioga Pass route on weekends.
                              • kent.mclemore
                                Message 15 of 30 , Dec 6, 2013

                                  Thanks for all the great info. There are a lot moving parts.

                                  Looking hard at the Mammoth Lakes option. If we put our departure date off until Sept. 5 and our return to Sept. 27, round trip fare is $307. We can catch the weekend-only YARTS to YV and the weekday-only ESTA from Lone Pine back to Mammoth for less than $30 total. Not bad.

                                  My only concern: the shorter, colder days of late Sept.

                                  Thanks again for all for the responses.

                                • Paul Fretheim
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Dec 6, 2013

                                    I can shuttle you http:eastsidesierrashuttle.com but it's kind of expensive. From Reno it's $650.

                                    You can fly to Mammoth instead, but it's via LA. Then the shuttle fare is $600 to shuttle you from Mammoth to Happy Isles at the start and Whitney Portal back to Mammoth at the end.

                                    You can rent a car, one way to Merced, but I am not sure about a bus to the Valley from there, but I am pretty sure those buses will run labor day.

                                    Paul Fretheim
                                    East Side Sierra Shuttle

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Dec 6, 2013
                                      Ken, my recommendation adds very little cost to a flight -- I priced it out just now on Expedia:

                                      Return Flight:

                                      From: New York City, NY (JFK)
                                      To:   Merced, CA (MCE)
                                      Leave:  07/15/2014
                                      Return: 08/06/2014
                                      Low Price (Expedia, 12/6/2013 12:04:31 PM): 407.30

                                      Multiple Destination Flight:

                                      From: New York City, NY (JFK)
                                      To:   Merced, CA (MCE)
                                      Leave:  07/15/2014
                                      Return (from Reno, NV to NYC(JFK): 08/06/2014
                                      Low Price (Expedia, 12/6/2013 12:06:29 PM): 486.00

                                      $78.7 Difference in Cost -- How much would the bus and extra
                                      night at a motel cost to get back to Merced from Lone Pine?

                                      _

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Dec 7, 2013
                                        If you do opt for a Mammoth flight and need to overnight, Mammoth RV Park at the entry to town/across from the permit office/2 blocks from the bus stop, has tent sites and hot showers for roughly $30/night. Also cheaper public campgrounds across the street, but harder to get. Free shuttles to Mammoth Lakes Basin wilderness trail heads too (gotta love Mammoth), so I've just gone a couple miles in for a night before as another option to camp free (will need to get a permit). Lot's of hotels in the same few blocks as well...but of course more $.
                                        Bruce
                                      • brucelem12
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Dec 7, 2013
                                          I should also note that it's either a 7 mile walk or $15-$20 cab fare from the Mammoth airport to the edge of town,
                                          Bruce
                                        • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Dec 7, 2013
                                            Roleigh,

                                            I'll research the fares from my location - via United, unfortunately, - and report back.

                                            Ken.

                                            > Ken, my recommendation adds very little cost to a flight -- I priced it out
                                            > just now on Expedia:
                                            >
                                            > Return Flight:
                                            >
                                            > From: New York City, NY (JFK)
                                            > To: Merced, CA (MCE)
                                            > Leave: 07/15/2014
                                            > Return: 08/06/2014
                                            > Low Price (Expedia, 12/6/2013 12:04:31 PM): 407.30

                                            > Multiple Destination Flight:
                                            >
                                            > From: New York City, NY (JFK)
                                            > To: Merced, CA (MCE)
                                            > Leave: 07/15/2014
                                            > Return (from Reno, NV to NYC(JFK): 08/06/2014
                                            > Low Price (Expedia, 12/6/2013 12:06:29 PM): 486.00

                                            > $78.7 Difference in Cost -- How much would the bus and extra
                                            > night at a motel cost to get back to Merced from Lone Pine?

                                            > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
                                            > _
                                            >

                                            > On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM, kennethjessett@... <
                                            > kenjessett@...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            > > "Don't get a traditional return trip flight; get instead a
                                            > > multi-destination flight (traditionally called a "open jaw" ticket)"
                                            > >
                                            > > This is a very expensive option, I believe it can be double a fixed
                                            > > destination flight.
                                            > >
                                            > > Ken.

                                          • Chip
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Dec 7, 2013
                                              Check out this Trailjournal the guy missed the bus from Reno so he rented a car to Monmouth. It was a little more expensive than the bus but all worked out for him. If you are traveling in a group this could be an option.
                                            • Chip
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                Sorry I forgot to paste the link yesterday.

                                                Checkout this Trailjournal, the hikers rented a car in Reno and drove to Monmouth.

                                                http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=431060
                                              • Paul Fretheim
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                  Motel 6 in Mammoth would be my last choice.
                                                • Jim Seamans
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                    I stayed at motel 6 in mammoth two years ago.  It was just "ok".  Does anyone have info on airlines and cities flying into Mammoth  in July and August or is it only Alaska from LA? thanks   jim

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                      You know, if we want to keep the JMT and Sierras a secret so as not to overwhelm it (we do, don't we?), we wouldn't offer any more advice on how easy it is to get there. Just saying. ;-)
                                                    • Dittli-Goethals
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                        Easy to get to yes, but between the lions and bears one is unlikely to ever get out alive...

                                                        JD

                                                        --
                                                        John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                                                        John Dittli Photography

                                                        2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
                                                      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                          Good, that is the message we need to get out.

                                                          Ken.

                                                          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

                                                          > Easy to get to yes, but between the lions and bears one is unlikely to ever
                                                          > get out alive...
                                                          >
                                                          > JD
                                                          >

                                                          > On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM, kennethjessett@... <
                                                          > kenjessett@...> wrote:
                                                          >

                                                          > > You know, if we want to keep the JMT and Sierras a secret so as not to
                                                          > > overwhelm it (we do, don't we?), we wouldn't offer any more advice on how
                                                          > > easy it is to get there. Just saying. ;-)
                                                          > >

                                                          > --
                                                          > John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                                                          > John Dittli Photography
                                                          > www.johndittli.com
                                                          > 760-934-3505
                                                          >
                                                          > *Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail*
                                                          > *2010 IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner*
                                                          > http://johndittli.com/site/content/view/57/48/

                                                        • donbushek
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                            That surprises me.  When I did the JMT last year, I wasn't able to find any one-way car rentals to or from Mammouth.  I ended up flying to Mammouth from LAX.

                                                            Don
                                                          • Robert
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                              Or the hiker eating whale in LeConte Canyon. Don't go people...it's a jungle out there! LOL!

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Dec 8, 2013
                                                                http://eastsidesierrashuttle.com/mammoth_air.html

                                                                American, Alaska and Delta all fly
                                                                the de Havilland Dash 8-400 to Mammoth
                                                                It's kind of a funny deal, because all the airlines use the same airplane. When the 5:30 p.m. flight arrives, it is American, Alaska, and Delta all in one plane. You can buy a ticket from SFO to MMH, but you fly to LAX and change planes for the plane to MMH (Mammoth).