Permit pickup times

  • ac82dab07d4fb78d8a156ced8af452e0
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2013
      Hi everyone, I am new to the group and planning our JMT hike for June 2014 as well (I've seen a couple others mention this already!).  My plan so far is to take the amtrak to Merced and yart to Yosemite valley.  My question is in regards to the permit- but first am I missing a step here? Where do I pick up the permit if I get my first choice of happy isles?  And if I won't get to the permit office until the afternoon, do I have to wait to pick up the permit the next day? I can't figure out what day I choose the permit for- the day I am picking it up? Or the day I want to begin hiking? Or does this have to be the same day?

      Sorry for the newbie question, it's getting close to application time so trying to get the planning right!
    • Ray Rippel
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2013
        Good day, Stephanie,

        You would pick up your permit at the Wilderness Center in Yosemite Valley. The YART drops you very near the center. Also, it is within walking distance of the Lodge, Curry Village and the Ahwahnee. There is also a shuttle bus.

        If you get a permit, for example, for the 4th of July, you can pick up that permit whenever the center is open on the 3rd of July. You then spend one night in the valley (Camp Curry is very close to Happy Isles) before starting on your hike.

        Hope this helps.

        Good hiking, Ray

        Ray Rippel
        Author, Planning Your Thru-Hike of the John Muir Trail

      • Stephanie Johnson
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2013
          Thanks for all the help guys! I know I'll have more questions soon!!

          Sent from my iPhone