do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013
      Do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?  She is doing a movie adaptation of the book, Wild, which popularizes the PCT, and as we all know the JMT is the best part of the PCT.

      (nice picture)
      _

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013
        Another nice link on this forthcoming 2014 movie:

        http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2466420/Reese-Witherspoon-shares-picture-set-Wild-revealed-Laura-Dern-cast-mother.html

        _

        On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
        Do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?  She is doing a movie adaptation of the book, Wild, which popularizes the PCT, and as we all know the JMT is the best part of the PCT.

        (nice picture)
        _

      • robert shattuck
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013
          Yes, maybe as much as that guy, James Franco, did for getting yourself stuck in a canyon and chopping off your arm.

          I'm just a cynic, but I am calling it "strayed syndrome" and while I applaud anyone getting off their butt and getting out there, I hear the ringing of thousands of Spot devices.....

          Bob Shattuck
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Nov 20, 2013, at 4:17 PM, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...> wrote:

          Do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?  She is doing a movie adaptation of the book, Wild, which popularizes the PCT, and as we all know the JMT is the best part of the PCT.

          (nice picture)
          _

        • longritchie

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013
              ...and the whirring sound of rescue helicopters!!

              > Yes, maybe as much as that guy, James Franco, did for getting yourself stuck in a canyon and chopping off your arm.
              >
              > I'm just a cynic, but I am calling it "strayed syndrome" and while I applaud anyone getting off their butt and getting out there, I hear the ringing of thousands of Spot devices.....
              >
              > Bob Shattuck
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Nov 20, 2013, at 4:17 PM, "Roleigh Martin" <roleigh@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT? She is doing a movie adaptation of the book, Wild, which popularizes the PCT, and as we all know the JMT is the best part of the PCT.
              > >
              > > http://www.hollywood.com/news/movies/55020202/reese-witherspoon-wild-film-adaptation
              > >
              > > http://www.today.com/entertainment/reese-witherspoon-amuses-wild-author-film-photo-8C11433700
              > >
              > > http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2012/03/reese_witherspoon_buys_movie_r.html
              > >
              > > http://www.whosay.com/status/reesewitherspoon/620495
              > > (nice picture)
              > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)
              > > _

            • johndittli

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013

                  If she holds true to that lame story she won't be on the JMT because the author of Wild skipped the Sierra Nevada between Kennedy Meadows and Oregon.

                • ravi_jmt2013
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013

                     Didn't Cheryl Strayed skip the Sierra (and therefore the JMT) due to snow?

                    Haven't read the book but I remember reading about her trip in a review similar to this one:

                    http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/books/142848865.html

                    "When record snowfall in the Sierra Nevada forces her to change plans and skip ahead on the trail, Strayed elects to make up the miles by moving her destination to the Bridge of the Gods, which crosses the Columbia River to link Oregon and Washington.

                    Did she ever return to the Sierra?

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 20, 2013
                        As if we haven't done enough already;-)

                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                        From: roleigh@...
                        Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 19:17:20 -0500
                        Subject: [John Muir Trail] do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?

                        Do you think Reese Witherspoon is going to popularize the JMT?  She is doing a movie adaptation of the book, Wild, which popularizes the PCT, and as we all know the JMT is the best part of the PCT.

                        (nice picture)
                        _

                      • debrabrownbear
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013
                          Exactly. Which is the point in the book where I stopped reading (listening) and asked audible.com for a refund, which they gave me. My non-hiking reading pals couldn't understand why I didn't like the book. Seriously? She "hiked the PCT" but skipped the entire Sierra Nevada.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013
                            I agree with everybody's comments about the skip, I read (heard) the unabridged audiobook, Wild.  But she is going to popularize hiking on the PCT and for those who can take 2-4 weeks off but not 4-5 months off might want to hit the sweet spot of the PCT, which we all know is the JMT.

                            Somebody commented, was it John Dittli, that since the publication of Wild, that the permit applications of the JMT have nearly tripled, although I still wonder if the concurrent requirement of a permit to do Half Dome hasn't been as much of that increase.  It's probably both, for I believe John stated that the Ranger at Crabtree (I forget how to spell his Polish name, isn't his first name Rod?) has recognized a significant increase of JMT hikers making it all the way to Whitney.

                            And for sure, Jason's Mile, Mile and a Half JMT movie has definitely inspired many to do the JMT, we see applicants to this group give their movie the reason they joined the group.  Thanks, Jason!

                            Wild should be a fun movie to see though.  I've always liked Witherspoon's movies too.

                            _

                          • forgetwho
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013

                              Lol to all these comments.  A friend gave me a copy of Wild shortly after it was published, and I dutifully read all of it.  And I knew from the start of the book that she'd skipped the Sierras (either the Preface mentioned it or I'd looked closely at the map in the book, I forget which).  Since I knew I wouldn't have attempted the Sierras myself under those snow conditions, I didn't blame her for THAT.  But I detested the book for its confessional style and for her general idiocy - not once putting on her loaded pack until the morning that her hike began?  Losing one boot and then throwing the other one over a cliff?  If the message the movie conveys is that anyone can do it regardless of a lack of preparation and knowledge, then I agree with whoever said there'll be a thousand Spots ringing...

                              (I'll see the movie, though.  I mean, it was filmed 40 miles from me...)

                              Gail

                              ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

                              Exactly. Which is the point in the book where I stopped reading (listening) and asked audible.com for a refund, which they gave me. My non-hiking reading pals couldn't understand why I didn't like the book. Seriously? She "hiked the PCT" but skipped the entire Sierra Nevada.
                            • Ned Tibbits
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013
                                If anyone can bring attention to the healing aspects of wilderness stays or long-trail hikes, then this is good! If Cheryl’s book or movie can show people where to find solace and a little peace to help them deal with questions in life, it would really be no different than what Eric Ryback’s book did for the PCT.

                                Yes, “Wild” is about one woman’s journey along a part of a long trail, but it is much more about her inner dealings with pain and sorrow from her past and finding acceptance with who she is. The silence of the trail allows this stuff to come up and it is crucially important that it come out once and for all. Otherwise, we are just pretending and ignoring. Yes, she “ran” to the trail for answers, but who hasn’t?

                                We, of the “trail community,” need to realize that many who seek our mountain trails do so because of just this, though often cloaked in popularly accepted aspirations like thru-hiking. Cheryl never set out to go the whole way, especially when she started south of Kennedy Meadows, skipped the high sierra, bounced around in NorCal, then did much of the PCT through Oregon to Cascade Locks. But she went “the whole way” through her inner turmoil to discover herself. That, I believe, is the greater accomplishment in life.

                                So, let’s accept that this was not a “trail book” or movie and encourages people to hit the short and long trails to better themselves!

                                Ned Tibbits, Director
                                Mountain Education
                                www.mountaineducation.org

                                • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013
                                    It is a shame to see that celebrity obsession has now come to this forum.
                                  • Lori MacDonald
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013
                                      On Nov 21, 2013, at 8:48 AM, Ned Tibbits wrote:

                                      > Eric Ryback
                                    • gkahn21

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 21, 2013

                                          gkahn,

                                          People who want to do Half Dome, with an overnight camp sight will typically seek a first night camp site identical to a JMT hike.  Conversely, anyone who gets a JMT permit can ask for a Half Dome permit and get it.  John Dittli might be able to comment with more insight, but I would not be surprised to see some impact on permit applications.

                                          The quotas are based upon where one camps the first night on the trail, not based upon your JMT being the final destination.  It just so happens that the JMT is the same route for the first night as Half Dome hikers.

                                          Roleigh

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 22, 2013
                                                Totally agree with your review Ned. I liked the book. The beauty of Strayed's story is what an absolute mess she was in her life and how unprepared she was for the trail. She just knew she needed to do something and wasn't even sure the trail was the answer. Luckily she found herself on the trail before she got herself killed, on the trail or the path her life had been following.

                                                I think some of us old timers can relate how we used to hit the trail on a whim and stay out as long as our food held out or if the fish were biting good enough to feed us. All the planning to do the Jmt or the pct and the time will discourage most. There is still a lot of room in the Sierra if you take one of the off ramps off the freeway.
                                              • gkahn21
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 22, 2013

                                                  Roleigh,

                                                  I understand how the permits work, that's why I was wondering you thought half dome users were partly responsible for the reported increase of JMT hikers.

                                                  There is no JMT permit, just a wilderness permit, as I think you have mentioned before. What separates JMT hikers from other backpackers is their destination, not their entry point. While some half dome hikers want to start at similar trailheads as JMT hikers do, their destination is much different and as such would not be counted as a JMT hiker. Either way, as there is now a limit for people hiking to half dome, those numbers can't increase dramatically, as there is a limit. (Assuming that the quota is fully subscribed, which considering a quota was implemented in the first place is a safe assumption)

                                                  Ravi, I don't understand what your proposal is trying to accomplish. Do you want split the quota, so for instance 5 for Sunrise pass through and 5 for merced pass-through, or add an additional merced pass-through of say 10? In the first scenario overall use would be the same, the Sunrise pass through permit would be more difficult to get, while a little bit of use is diverted for ~20 miles, or 10% of the JMT. The second scenario would probably make it easier to get a permit, but would just increase use overall, while diverting use for 10% of the trail. If you wanted to increase use, just increase one of the happy isles trailheads. I really doubt that the NPS is going to increase trailhead quotas, especially for the JMT or Half Dome.

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 22, 2013
                                                    "Ravi, I don't understand what your proposal is trying to accomplish. Do you want split the quota, so for instance 5 for Sunrise pass through and 5 for merced pass-through, or add an additional merced pass-through of say 10?"

                                                    I don't have enough information to know whether the permit quotas could be increased or not, but to me it seems logical to have separate quotas for hikers heading toward Sunrise and those heading toward Merced Lake.  It would be interesting to know what percentage of HI>>Sunrise/Merced passthrough permit holders head toward Sunrise vs. Merced currently.  It would also be interesting to know how many HI>>LYV permit holders go beyond Little Yosemite Valley and, if so, whether they go toward Sunrise or Merced.  Not sure if such information is available or not.

                                                    Since Yosemite seems to me to be the most busy part of the JMT, encouraging an "alternate route" through the park could possibly alleviate congestion even though it would only impact around 10% of the total length of the trail.  But you are right - if the quotas go up overall, then maybe this idea would only serve to create congestion in an area that was previously not that congested while leaving the JMT itself as busy as ever - not a desirable outcome!

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 22, 2013
                                                        Got that right, Terry!

                                                        Ned Tibbits, Director
                                                        Mountain Education