EXCELLENT AND EASY FOOD IDEAS

  • Jessica Campbell
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
      Hello Everyone~
      I figured the best way to ask is to have everyone tell me what one of there favorite trail recipes is breakfast lunch or dinner is dosen't matter which meal, your ideas and imagination is much appreciated, we are looking to switch it around more this year, Thanks!
      Jess

      The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John Muir

    • robert shattuck

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 6, 2009
          The three of us had this for dinner on top of Mt. Whitney in 1980. I
          cook and this does it all in one pot. Instant rice with dried peas,
          when near done a single serving packet of mushroom soup and a small
          can of deviled ham. I dont remember if we had the usual fried bread,
          skillet biscuit, if so it is a two pan dinner.

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Jessica Campbell
          <mountainjazzy@...> wrote:

          > Hello Everyone~
          > I figured the best way to ask is to have everyone tell me what one
          of there favorite trail recipes is breakfast lunch or dinner is
          dosen't matter which meal, your ideas and imagination is much
          appreciated, we are looking to switch it around more this year, Thanks!
          > Jess
          >
          > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.-
          John Muir

        • Kurt Herzog
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
            Here's my favorite.. goes on every trip:

            2-serve packet of Mountain House Rice and Chicken

            2-serve packet of AlpineAire Mixed Vegetables
            NOTE: Not "Garden Vegetables"

            4 TBS dried onion flakes

            1 1/2 tsp Curry powder or to taste

            4 TBS Butter Powder (NOT "butter buds")
            Alternatively use a couple of Col Sanders
            margarine packets, or a small bottle of oil.

            2 oz Cashew chunks, garnish

            Remove all from original packaging & place in a
            large zip-lock or other plastic bag. Keep cashews
            and oil (if used) separate (important!).

            Dump everything except the cashews into 3 cups of
            cold water, bring to a boil. Reduce heat &
            simmer, stirring frequently, until it starts to
            stick. Remove from heat, cover & let stand for 10
            minutes. Garnish serving with cashews. Serves 2.

            For dessert: Jell-O instant lemon pudding, made
            with powdered milk.

            Kurt P. Herzog
            Grants Pass, Oregon
          • Randy Forsland
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
              I tend to cook a lot of Thai food when in the backcountry. The ingredients for such dishes as hot and sour (Tom Yum) soups are easily found in most Asian food markets and hold up well without refrigeration. I carry small amounts of lime juice and fish sauce as well as lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves. Those ingredients, along with dried mushrooms, peppers and freeze-dried tofu, make a great soup in the backcountry. The only thing missing is fresh cilentro, but it is still good without it. I add converted rice to make it a thicker porridge like meal.

              A quick Pad Thai facsimile can be made with top-ramen noodles, peanut butter and a couple of packs of soy sauce and crushed red peppers from fast food outlets.
              Basically prepare the ramen according to instructions but use only 1/2 the water. When the noodles are soft, add 1 tbsp peanut butter, a pack of soy and a pack of peppers. Stir and enjoy. For a more authentic flavor, you can buy Pad Thai seasoning mix (one envelope goes a long way)

              You can even get powdered coconut cream for a nice Tom Ka Gai (chicken coconut) soup.

              I plan on hiking the JMT in late August this year and will be cooking almost exclusively asian dishes during the trip. Stop on by and try some if your'e in the neighborhood.

              Redwood
              JMT- 85,97,00,06
              PCT-2003

            • yountvlmom@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                We are planning to leave from Red's Meadow SOBO to Whitney Portal on Aug 23.
                Last year I went from TM to Whitney Portal. Leaving at this later date
                reduces the chances of sharing all this fine food with the mosquitoes. My
                favorite dehydrated food is Mountain House scrambled eggs with bacon. Makes an
                excellent lunch. I don't cook at breakfast just eat Cliff bars after a couple
                hours of hiking in the serene time just after dawn.
                Darlene
                aka Scout

                In a message dated 2/7/2009 9:35:07 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                rforsland2001@... writes:

[...]

                net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)

              • Steve Schauer
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                  One of the easiest things to do for dinner is to get angel hair pasta (i get the Barilla Plus because it is high in protein) because it cooks very fast, drain it. Then add a couple of ounces of olive oil to a dried pesto sauce, and add parmesan cheese (the shelf stable kind-holds up for weeks without refrigeration, or get packages from a pizza shop). Pesto is optional, it tastes great without it.

                  An easy breakfast is a vanilla protein drink mixed with Tang. Tastes like an orange julius. I have seen it mentioned in Backpacker's magazine with vanilla pudding. milk powder and Tang, but I like the protein for sustained energy. Trader Joe's has one called Aria that dissolves easily.

                  I am really into eating well, so I could go on and on about meals!
                  Claire

> [...]
                  > in the neighborhood.
                  >
                  > Redwood
                  > JMT- 85,97,00,06
                  > PCT-2003
                  >
                  > --- On Fri, 2/6/09, Jessica Campbell
                  > <mountainjazzy@...> wrote:
                  > From: Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@...>
                  > Subject: [John Muir Trail] EXCELLENT AND EASY FOOD IDEAS
                  > To: "John Muir Trail"
                  > <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 5:14 PM

                  > Hello Everyone~
                  >
                  > I figured the best way to ask is to have everyone tell me
                  > what one of there
                  > favorite trail recipes is breakfast lunch or dinner is
                  > dosen't matter which
                  > meal, your ideas and imagination is much appreciated, we
                  > are looking to switch
                  > it around more this year, Thanks!
                  >
                  > Jess
                  >

                  > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest

                • The Cisco Kid
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                    Claire....by all means, continue the cooking lessons...I'm always looking for trail recipes..
                    thanks

                    RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".

                    --- On Sat, 2/7/09, yountvlmom@aol. com <yountvlmom@aol. com> wrote:

> [...]

                    > Redwood

                    > JMT- 85,97,00,06

                    > PCT-2003

                    > --- On Fri, 2/6/09, Jessica Campbell

                    > <mountainjazzy@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > From: Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@ yahoo.com>

                    > Subject: [John Muir Trail] EXCELLENT AND EASY FOOD IDEAS

                    > To: "John Muir Trail"

                    > <johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com>

                    > Date: Friday, February 6, 2009, 5:14 PM

                    > Hello Everyone~

                    > I figured the best way to ask is to have everyone tell me

                    > what one of there

                    > favorite trail recipes is breakfast lunch or dinner is

                    > dosen't matter which

                    > meal, your ideas and imagination is much appreciated, we

                    > are looking to switch

                    > it around more this year, Thanks!

                    > Jess

                    > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest

                  • Dave Sloan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                      This is a great thread and could go on forever. Trail food is the most
                      personal and important topic. And I'm sure we all have different
                      favorites. I've been learning from some of your posts. Great trail meals
                      are a balance of flavor, nutritious, not bulky, and require as little fuel
                      to cook as possible.

                      Here are some foods that have proven to provide great energy for hours and
                      hours of hiking:

                      Breakfast: Granola with powdered milk.

                      Lunch 10AM: Clif or Odwalla bar
                      Lunch 12 Noon: whole wheat bagel. The kind with preservatives. Very bulky
                      but worth it.
                      Lunch 2PM: trail mix. Love it.
                      Lunch 4PM: A chunk of salami. Great recovery food after hiking 8 hours.

                      Dinner option 1: Corn spaghetti with tomato paste and a red spaghetti sauce
                      mix. (got the corn pasta idea from Ray Jardine)
                      Dinner option 2: whole wheat cous-cous and bean soup. Add olive oil if you
                      got it.

                      Both dinners are seasoned with hard Parmesan cheese and creole spice. Love
                      that creole spice!

                      Star gazing snack: Chamomile tea and special dark chocolate.

                      On one trip my buddy made falafel. He rolled up the falafel mix and fried
                      the ball and then put them in pita bread. It was fantastic.

                      Here are some foods that I would not try again:
                      -tuna. We actually brought tuna fish cans. Smelly and bulky trash.
                      -hummus. Great source of protein but I got really sick one year from eating
                      too much of it. You need to add lots of water to hydrate it. Some of my
                      hiking buddies still love it.
                      -beef jerky. The idea of dried meat sounds great but for some reason I just
                      don't get any energy from it.

                      -Dave Sloan

                      Dave Sloan

                    • Ken
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                        My group took ground beef seasoned with whatever spices you like. We cooked it first and after frying it, ran some hot water to remove the grease, then dehydrate it. One pound of lean ground beef will dehydrate to 2 to 3 ounces. We then vacuumed sealed the ground beef. This will keep for months w/o refrigeration. About an hour or two prior to eating on trail we threw it into a water bottle to rehydrate. Cooked up the ground beef with dehydrated corn and French beans (also rehydrate prior to cooking). We also packed along tortillas because they fit nicely in the Garcia canisters. I have been told you dehydrate salsa and make kind of a fruit roll up with it, but if you try this make sure you do it outside. People who have done it says it's strong.

                        Ken

                        ________________________________

                        On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM, The Cisco Kid <dandyric@yahoo. com> wrote:

                        > Claire....by all means, continue the cooking lessons...I' m always
                        > looking for trail recipes..
                        > thanks
                        >
                        > RichardC"I'm in the Mountains, not over the Hill".
                        >
                        > --- On Sat, 2/7/09, Steve Schauer <clairehiker@ sbcglobal. net<clairehiker% 40sbcglobal. net>>
                        > wrote:
                        > From: Steve Schauer <clairehiker@ sbcglobal. net<clairehiker% 40sbcglobal. net>
                        > >

                        > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] EXCELLENT AND EASY FOOD IDEAS
                        > To: johnmuirtrail@ yahoogroups. com <johnmuirtrail% 40yahoogroups. com>
                        > Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 2:14 PM
                        >

                        > One of the easiest things to do for dinner is to get angel hair pasta (i
                        > get the Barilla Plus because it is high in protein) because it cooks very
                        > fast, drain it. Then add a couple of ounces of olive oil to a dried pesto
                        > sauce, and add parmesan cheese (the shelf stable kind-holds up for weeks
                        > without refrigeration, or get packages from a pizza shop). Pesto is
                        > optional, it tastes great without it.
                        >
                        > An easy breakfast is a vanilla protein drink mixed with Tang. Tastes like
                        > an orange julius. I have seen it mentioned in Backpacker's magazine with
                        > vanilla pudding. milk powder and Tang, but I like the protein for sustained
                        > energy. Trader Joe's has one called Aria that dissolves easily.
                        >
                        > I am really into eating well, so I could go on and on about meals!
                        >
                        > Claire

                      • Peter Klein
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 7, 2009
                          Actually the dehydrated cooked ground beef will last in a ziploc in the
                          freezer
                          for at least a year.