JMT 2014 in July

  • berdomb
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 8, 2013
      Due to my 15yr old sons high school starting the first week of August, If I want him to do the JMT with me, it has to be in July.  Im planning to start the second week of July SOBO, and will finish the last week, taking about 18 days or so including 2 zeros.  This will only work if snow pack allows it obviously.

      So, my question is, in an AVERAGE snow year, would we expect to still find snowfields in late july on the highest passes?  Or ice on the trail on the south side of Forester?   Obviously in a LOW snow year like this past year it would have not been a problem.  What about the creek crossings?   I dont mind some snow and ice, but Im not crazy about putting my son in any hazardous situation.

      Again, Im talking in an average year based on April 1 snowpack.   I know this will be a speculative trip, and only go thru if the snowpack is probably somewhat below average.   (Im rooting for record low again myself), sorry CA.  Just trying to feel out what may be possible.  The reports from the PCT hikers will tell what the status is, but Id like to know what to expect as soon as possible..
    • Joe MacLeish
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 8, 2013

        Bedroom:

        You will probably get your statistics by consensus from this group.  My experience for the mythical average year over the last 30 is that by the second week of July (around the 14th) you will find some snow on the south side of Muir pass (with a clear use trail through it), a few shoes off stream crossings, and a definite wide but not dangerous shoes off crossing at Evolution Creek.  Lots of wildflowers, skeeters enough to bother some people (they don't much like me) and less people than in the following weeks.  It is my favorite time and I will be starting my 2014 JMT on July 6 unless it is a monster snow year.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 9, 2013
          Postholer (Scott Parks) has a great snow depth map resource for just this kind of question. Links to the map and an explanation how to use it at this post:

          This link, for example, shows the snow depth on June 15, 2009. By changing the numbers at the end of the URL you can display different years or dates.

          On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM, <berdomb@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 9, 2013
            Joe, it's good to hear you're planning on a 2014 JMT trip!! We won't cross paths this summer as I'll be going until much later in the summer. Have a great trip!

            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 9, 2013

              Robert:

              My plan A is to do the JMT, be in shape at the end, and tag on the first leg of the SHR (the one we/I tried last year)  with a slower pace and plan B is just the JMT.  For me that means starting in early July and ending the SHR leg by early August.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 10, 2013
                Sounds like some fine plans!!
                I'm doing the opposite. I'm going to do another section of the SHR from Humphries Basin to McGee Creek, in over Piute Pass and exit either Reds Meadows, McGee Pass, or Mono Pass. I might go out Mono Pass and just do some side trips up to 4th Recess Lake and Pioneer Basin instead, as the exit TH is a little more 'small car friendly' for access compared to McGee Pass TH. I'm looking at the JMT sometime in mid-August. I haven't decided to slow it down a bit or go for a personal best on time, my conditioning will probably determine that one.

              • styllista

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013

                    Robert:

                    I'm dying to do the JMT backpacking, but don't have someone to go with me, can I join anyone who is planning to do the JMT in 2014 thanks styllista@...

                  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013
                      I realise that it isn't everyone who can venture into the wilderness alone, but not being able to tell your gender from your signature I assume you are female, if so, let me say I met many women on the trail this year hiking solo. Many will say on this forum they prefer to hike alone and wouldn't go any other way.

                      In any case, you are never really alone for very long on the trail - some of the earlier messages attest to the fact that the trail can get a little crowded at times.

                      Find courage, strike out on your own. :-)

                      Ken.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013

                        Robert:

                        Please take enough notes to pass to me if you would.  I will try a leg a year of the SHR if I complete the first leg in 2014.  I'll even pay for a marked up map if you make one.

                        thanks

                        Joe

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013
                          Styllista, I have no problem hiking with anyone, but the issue will come down to tempo in the end for a compatible fit. My previous JMT hiking partner passed away last week, so I am always looking for compatible tempo/style hiking partners, but it is hard to find folks that enjoy hiking 24-30 miles a day! My last JMT hike in 2012 I started at Whitney Portal and was at Reds Meadow on night 6. I mention this not to brag, but to let anyone know what to expect. I am going to probably gear it down a bit this year, as I have a few stops along the way to memorialize my buddy, ( Brian 'Phreak' Turner ), but I will still be looking at the 8-9 night range. There are always folks looking for partners on this site, so opportunities may arise. I know Roleigh M. usually goes with a fairly large group, and a reasonable pace. My advice is to ask a lot of questions. Everything from when they wake up, how long it takes them to hit the trail after waking up, how late they like to hike into the evening, how many stops during the day, and how long, ect. I know it sounds like an examination, but it will avoid being mismatched in the end.

                        • styllista
                          Message 12 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013

                            Yes I'm female and thanks for your opinion on hiking alone. I see the benefits of hiking alone, sometimes my friends are not on the same schedule as me.

                            Do you really think girls can go alone? I did hike whitney by myself last month, I also hiked it with a friend in May, I think I prefer with a friend, i don't feel I am experienced enough to do JMT by myself.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013
                              No problem Joe! I need to get my hands on the Skurka maps before summer, but intend to order them soon. The section between Humphries Basin to Mono Creek is supposed to be some of the prettiest sections of the SHR, with more moderate Class 2 passes from everything I've researched so far. I can't wait to see the Bear Lakes Basin!

                            • Styllista sanusi
                              Message 14 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013
                                excellent advice, so much to learn. This is why i enjoy hiking. So much to see and experience,

                              • Barbara Karagosian
                                Message 15 of 24 , Nov 18, 2013
                                  Robert- so sorry to hear about Phreak.  Very sad.

                                • Robert
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                    Thank you Barbara.
                                    I was lucky enough to have hiked with him all these years on various trips, and lucky enough to have flown out to said goodbye to him the night before he passed away. That cancer spread very quick. To give anyone an idea how strong of a hiker he is; in 2010 Brian, Darren, and I were starting our JMT trip with some friends and family that were doing a day hike up Half Dome. We left HI that morning with the intentions of meeting back up with the day-hiking crew later that night at a campsite reserved at Tuolumne Meadows. Brian not only made it from Happy Isles to Toulumne Meadows, as Darren and I did, he hiked the side trip up Half Dome and did the Clouds Rest detour, THEN met us at Tuolumne Meadows that same day! He was in fantastic shape, and was a great mentor to me in my Fastpacking journey. If anyone is interested, my wife made a slideshow to music up in honor of Brian, 'Phreak' here:

                                    http://vimeo.com/79371562

                                    Brian is the one in the running shorts in most of the shots. He was also an avid ultra trail runner, placing very well in The Pinhoti 100 a few years back.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                      Robert, you're a good friend to have to make such a nice tribute and post about him.  Thanks for it.

                                      Roleigh

                                      _

                                    • Robert
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                        Thanks Roleigh. You and Brian actually crossed paths in 2010 near Tyndall Creek. You were heading up the switchbacks and we were heading down.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                          There are those who want to race the trail, either to prove they can, or because of limited time, or they find their Nirvana in doing so, and as Robert says, if you prefer to hike with others you have to find compatibility.

                                          For my part, getting to the Sierras is a journey all of its own so if time permits, I will take the time. I am quite social and make a point of stopping to chat with just about everyone I come across on the trail.

                                          This year I had the pleasure of meeting two family groups with children under the age of 11 who planned to go all the way to Whitney. I spent time looking after the backpack of a Japanese gentleman who had left his hiking poles far back on the trail, I commiserated with a number of men who had knee problems and discussed the likelihood of them completing the hike (BTW, I just had knee replacement surgery 3 weeks ago today, I sat and had refreshments with a woman who was coming down from Tuolomne and who had split with the now ex boyfriend after hiking a great part of the Pacific Crest Trail, I camped in a lovely grove of trees next to a running stream and was visited in the evening by a coyote/wolf hybrid. The animal and I looked at each other for a while before it wandered off, a small herd of deer also crossed through my camp site.

                                          I say all of this because there are so many ways of hiking any long distance trail, and for my part, doing it alone gives me many an opportunity that would probably be missing if I was hiking in a group or was trying to set some kind of personal best time.

                                          I am an advocate of getting your feet wet when considering this kind of an adventure, and there is nothing wrong with setting up a day hike camp (LYV is a great place for that) and spending a few or several days using that as a base. Doing that solo, getting used to being alone but not for extended times and coming back to a familiar place each night will help you to gain a comfort level for doing the real thing next time.

                                          I hope you do decide to make the trip, there are few places in the world as majestic as the high sierras.

                                          BTW, do you have a name?

                                          Ken.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                            Well said Kenneth! I would HIGHLY recommend taking ones time at least the first time doing the JMT. I actually hiked it in 3 parts over three summers when I got my first taste of the trail years ago. It was on my 2nd year of a JMT section hike when I met a group of 3 fast packers at Piute Creek and chatted with them about gear, mileage and strategies of fast packing and I was hooked! I started training harder, lost body and pack weight, and haven't looked back. I do l sprinkle in a few non-fast pack hikes every year for some fishing. I try to pick new areas or passes each year to explore at a slower pace.

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                              Thank you for sharing that Robert - very moving indeed.

                                            • dawnthreader2003
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013

                                                Styllista, I am also looking for some one to do JMT and I am a female.  I live in California and have done backpacking. When would you want to go?

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                                  My final exam for spring 2014 is June 9 and I'll be free the entire summer...

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Nov 19, 2013
                                                    what do you thing about backpacking in June? if you serious, we could discuss it and you could email me anytime at styllista@...