updating Wilderness Press JMT book

  • Elizabeth Wenk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2013

      Hi all,

      I am in the process of updating the Wilderness Press JMT book that I have written. A new edition is due out in time for summer 2014.

      As I update information I am seeking the advice of those who have used the book:

      -          * Could you let me know if you have had any particularly bad experiences with shuttle services? A brief report is all I need – I am only trying to gauge if there are some services that have repeatedly been unreliable.

      -         *  For those who received a food resupply via Kearsarge Pass, I am trying to estimate how many had their food packed in and how many people hiked out.  What was your experience – was the method you chose reliable and would you do the same again? If you hiked out, did you have someone drop your food at the trailhead or did you pick it up in Independence?

      -          * I am making panoramas of the view from many of the passes with the prominent peaks labeled. I had the bad luck of summiting Forester Pass in fog in late July and Silver Pass in dense smoke in early August. If you have reasonably high quality photos of the view that could be stitched together (looking either north or south) and you wouldn’t mind me using in the book, please let me know. (You would of course receive photo credit.) (And for those who saw me on the trail and noted that I was always hiking southbound, yet ended up on Forester ahead of Silver Pass, this was due to childcare juggling. I first hiked Tuolumne to Agnew Meadows with my 4- and 6-year old daughters and husband, then hiked Taboose to Whitney with my husband, and finally Agnew to Sawmill with some friends. I hiked the Tuolumne to YV section last summer.)

      * And a final question, to make the book slimmer, I proposed to the publisher to only include the southbound trail description in the print edition, while northbound and southbound would be in the electronic version. What is your opinion of this? Both directions would be fully updated and all tables in the print version would still include both S-to-N and N-to-S distances.

      Please send your responses directly to me at ehwenk-at-gmail-dot-com

      And my apologies if I don’t respond individually to your e-mails right away. I am trying to finish up the last bits of editing in the book in the coming weeks.

      Lizzy