AIARE 1 course

  • Bill Cathey
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 15, 2013
      Does anyone have any personal experience/knowledge to be able to give a recommendation on any particular provider of an AIARE 1 course, and/or have any comments on the best location to take such a course?

      <http://aiare.info/course_list.php?&sort=type&type=>

      Thanks.

      bill
    • johndittli

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 16, 2013
          I have to refresh my AIARE-1 cert every year per National Ski Patrol requirements. If I didn’t live in Tahoe and have access to a couple of great schools for this class, I would consider any educational institution that offers the cert and will take you up to the steep snow to practice as part of the class.

          Whether you get your cert through the American Avalanche Association or AIARE, both teach such practical snow safety awareness stuff that you can’t go wrong with either. Levels 2 and 3 go into the science of snow safety study while level-1 is best for everyone.

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          www.mountaineducation.org

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 16, 2013
            Thanks, Ned (and John D.).

            I'd like to rephrase my question a little, if I may. I would like to take advantage of the holiday period to take the course between Xmas and New Years, if possible. But, given the low snow fall of the last couple of years in many places, I'm a little worried about the course getting cancelled if I sign up for one that early in the season.

            It looks like there are 9 courses scheduled for that time frame. The locations are: (1) Rocky Mtn NP, CO, (2) Mammoth Lakes, CA, (3) Snoqualmie Pass, WA, (4) Hurricane Ridge and Port Angeles, Olympic Mtns, WA, (5) Estes Park, CO, (6) Stevens Pass - Leavenworth, WA, (7) Virginia Lakes Yurt, Eastern Sierra Nevada, CA, (8) Bellingham, Mt Baker, WA, and (9) Truckee-Donner Pass, CA.

            For anyone familiar with the conditions out west, which of these locations would offer the best chances for having plenty of snow for the course by late December? Thanks.

            bill

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 17, 2013
                  The further north, the better!

                  Ned Tibbits, Director
                  Mountain Education
                  www.mountaineducation.org

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 17, 2013
                    Thanks, Ned. I'll take a look at the WA courses.

                    bill