RE: Do you know anyone who has hiked the JMT (either fully or partially) with Asthmatic Condition?

  • poppyboy434
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

       Hi,

        I have allergy induced asthma and hiked the JMT with my son last year, in July/August (2012). I was on flovent, twice a day and took this during the hike. I had an emergency inhaler in case, but did not need to use it.
        I experienced no real asthma problems on the trail. Of course, like most people I was sucking wind going up the 12,000 foot passes!
        My asthma was a slight concern heading into the hike, especially since I suffered a bad episode after I removed carpeting from our bedroom (I know, that was not a bright idea!). But, I did not suffer any attacks on the trail and enjoyed the JMT immensely. There were no fires during our hike.
      Mike Boisvert

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <roleigh@...> wrote:

      Do you know anyone who has hiked the JMT (either fully or partially) who has an Asthmatic Condition?  I have met someone who has Asthma and she has done day hiking on perfect weather days without any problems and she is curious about the JMT.

      Can you provide some details if you know enough to talk in some depth?

      Have you ever been on the trail and had problems, what did you do, what did you need to have with you?

      Thanks!
      _

    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
        Hello Hextstatic,

        Congratulations on your northbound hike of the JMT. I met you and your hiking partner near New Army Pass around Aug 17th. Glad to hear you two made the whole thing!

        Larry