Re: [John Muir Trail] Do you know anyone who has hiked the JMT (either fully or partially) with Asthmatic Condition?

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2013
      Thank you so much.  Are there others?  I'd like to hear from as many as possible to make her feel assured about doing such.  Thanks!

      _

      On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Carolsteveyoung <carolsteveyoung@...> wrote:

      Hiked JMT in 1999 with spouse and three sons (16,14,10 yrs). SOBO in 28 days, four were zeroes.

      Youngest and my wife were both exercise-induced susceptible, but experienced no problems even tho we used campfires wherever allowed. We carried inhaler in First Aid kit but never needed it. My son (was and still is) a dog lover extremely allergic to both dogs and especially horses. He played outdoors with two dogs at VVR for hours two days in a row. No prob

      We were nervous as there were lots of horses and pack trains on the route. We were passed most days more than once. I experienced some eye irritation from trail dust raised by hooves, but again no one had breathing symptoms.

      I think there are fewer pack animals these days tho my wife was stepped on (one foot, injured but no break) in 2009.

      Btw my son is now 24, a pro cyclist living in Boulder and a current US Natl Champ, so he has done a good job managing things.

      I would encourage anyone to be cautiously optimistic as the dry mountain air helps. Carry inhaler and a spare, and know your exits. Hike with trusted partner, the usuals. Carry good antihistamine for any bites or stings.

      Steve Young
      Geneva IL

      On Oct 7, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      Do you know anyone who has hiked the JMT (either fully or partially) who has an Asthmatic Condition?  I have met someone who has Asthma and she has done day hiking on perfect weather days without any problems and she is curious about the JMT.

      Can you provide some details if you know enough to talk in some depth?

      Have you ever been on the trail and had problems, what did you do, what did you need to have with you?

      Thanks!
      _

    • Hextstatic
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
        Hi,

        Completed Northbound JMT on September 15th from Horseshoe Meadows, 30 days nice and easy although delayed by thunderstorms first few days.
        Took Ventalin inhaler with me but really wasn't necessary, felt better than ever, although to be fair I have used less since starting training for JMT eighteen months ago.
        The drier Sierra atmosphere (and California in general seems to suit my chest) rather than the damp we returned to last week.
        I wouldn't say that Asthma would prevent many but the worst sufferers.
        Please email me if you want to discuss further. (hext.knight@...)
        Also, my partner Sarah who walked with me is a Chrons Disease sufferer, basically a lower gut issue that restricts her diet to Non Fibre, now that was a challenge to our diet planning. (Again if anyone wants further information email me)

        I think that if you want it bad enough, and we did, that with proper planning and a careful attitude it can be done.

        Being part of this group helped in many many ways and made all the planning far easier.

        Nick

        --
        Nixx

        hext.knight@...

        Please consider the environment before printing this email
      • poppyboy434
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

           Hi,

            I have allergy induced asthma and hiked the JMT with my son last year, in July/August (2012). I was on flovent, twice a day and took this during the hike. I had an emergency inhaler in case, but did not need to use it.
            I experienced no real asthma problems on the trail. Of course, like most people I was sucking wind going up the 12,000 foot passes!
            My asthma was a slight concern heading into the hike, especially since I suffered a bad episode after I removed carpeting from our bedroom (I know, that was not a bright idea!). But, I did not suffer any attacks on the trail and enjoyed the JMT immensely. There were no fires during our hike.
          Mike Boisvert

          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <roleigh@...> wrote:

          Do you know anyone who has hiked the JMT (either fully or partially) who has an Asthmatic Condition?  I have met someone who has Asthma and she has done day hiking on perfect weather days without any problems and she is curious about the JMT.

          Can you provide some details if you know enough to talk in some depth?

          Have you ever been on the trail and had problems, what did you do, what did you need to have with you?

          Thanks!
          _

        • Larry Beck
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
            Hello Hextstatic,

            Congratulations on your northbound hike of the JMT. I met you and your hiking partner near New Army Pass around Aug 17th. Glad to hear you two made the whole thing!

            Larry

            -------------------------------------------------Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research links)_