Re: [John Muir Trail] Tents, Tents, and more Tents

  • Jo T
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
      I bought an ultralight TWO-person tent for just me when I read a blog that said the guy was upgrading to the two-person version of the tent I intended to buy just so he could comfortably fit himself and his dog! I was originally planning on the one-person version. Then, even though my tent is advertised as freestanding, it really wasn't (without the stakes, the corners caved in and you couldn't keep the space between the fly and the tent expanded enough without stakes to keep condensation at bay. So I was really frustrated and had to use rocks in areas where the campsite had a sandy layer on top of granite (which I think was three or four nights).

      I can tell you -- on the JMT, in my TWO person tent, me and my gear barely fit. Different pack maybe would make it work -- the hip belt on mine kept getting in the way, but I do prefer to have my pack inside (not the bear canister, of course). I had a removable fly so star gazing was still an option. while making bugs a non-issue. But then again, bugs not really an issue in September (which is when I went) anyway.

      So if it's you AND your son, AND your gear inside, you may want a three person tent with a removable fly to offer versatility and make sure the tent is truly freestanding (not just advertised as such).

      JoT.

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013

            The other advantage of being able to get your gear in the tent  is not having the mice, marmots, and other critters partying in your pack.

            I took a two person, I would strongly consider a one person if -

            1. It has enough room for the pack

            2. was tall enough for me to sit upright or do the lightning squat

[...]

          • john_friend
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013

              I did the JMT this summer with a one person screened tarp tent (zpacks hexamid - expensive, but I saw many on the JMT).  There was room for some gear in the tent (such as my dry bag of clothes, hat, boots, etc...), but not for my pack itself as the tent is optimized for lightweight, not roomy size.

              What I did was remove all food and scentables from the pack (shouldn't be any food in there anyway for bear reasons), then prop the pack up against a tree and put a garbage bag over it (in case of rain as I had 6 days of rain).

              This worked out perfectly fine for me.  I never had a need for anything in the pack while I was in the tent (to be honest, there wasn't much left in the pack at night because most things I brought were in use or in the bear container).  I never had any issue with animals "inspecting" my pack probably because there were no scentables in it. Everything stayed dry when it rained (and believe me I had some major rain at night - on three separate nights, it rained hard most of the night).

              So, as long as you plan for something to cover your pack, it really doesn't need to be in the tent with you. And, honestly if an animal is going to get interested in my pack for whatever reason, I'd quite rather the animal not show an interest in entering my tent.  There are stories about people leaving scentables in their tent at Trail Camp while day hiking up to Whitney and they come back to find a hole in one end of the tent where an animal gnawed their way in and a hole in the other end where they gnawed their way out.

              --John

              ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

              The other advantage of being able to get your gear in the tent  is not having the mice, marmots, and other critters partying in your pack.

              I took a two person, I would strongly consider a one person if -

              1. It has enough room for the pack

              2. was tall enough for me to sit upright or do the lightning squat

            • berdomb
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 13, 2013

                I use a zpacks hexamid most of the time.

                I hang my pack from my trekking pole that supports the tent/tarp.  Water bottles are not in the pack, they are lying down near me.

                Everything I have is in my tent, sans food/garbage.  Even smellable water bottles.  A bear isnt going to tangle with a stinky human over a water bottle or ducttape.