Tents, Tents, and more Tents

  • jamesrchristopherson
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013

      I was looking at my current tent and decided to weigh it to think about taking it next year and found that it weighs about 10+ pounds.  I guess I need a new tent before the trip.

      I'm not looking for a recommendation of a specific tent, but want recommendations of a different type, so here is my basic info and then my question:

      I usually camp without a tent in the summer on trips of a couple of nights.

      My son and I usually camp together so we like having 2- 2.5 person tents

      We like to have a little extra room in the tent in case the gear needs to come inside, or we can play cards inside as needed.

      I plan on spending about $200.00 at the Campmor website, nice selection.

      The question is:

      Would you buy a 1 person tent for JMT and use a poncho or tarp to cover your gear if needed, resulting in a more enclosed space, and a lower carry weight for this trip...

      or

      would you buy a 2 person tent resulting in the ability to bring the gear inside and a higher carry weight for this trip and being able to use it on future trips.

      Thanks

    • robert shattuck
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013

        "or . . . would you buy a 2 person tent resulting in the ability to bring the gear inside and a higher carry weight for this trip and being able to use it on future trips."

        James,

        I'm a sucker for two-person, free-standing tents . . . no fuss, no guying-out, so that everything is just right, no adjusting your trekking poles so they go from tent pole to trekking pole height–– no need to find the spots that will work well with tent stakes ( never bring them) and I can fit myself and my pack in the tent.

        Two poles, 3-4 pounds, and I am usually set up while the guy with the very cool UL tent is still hopping around the perimeter of his tent, pulling this, loosening that . . . of course, there are those that have it down and in the set-up department, I'm sure––I just haven't found them yet.

        It's kinda along the lines of why I gave up "cooking" on the trail. I just boil water, insert pouch, or pour in hot water. clean up is nothing more than licking the spoon.  I got tired of having to mix this and that, hoping I'd get it right, not to mention the daily chore of cleaning up the dishes ( I get to do this at home every day) . . . it's bad enough when I cook the MH lasagna and have to floss the globby cheese out of my fork.

        And I just really like getting out of the weather, if need be. Again, I've never set up a TARP, I've never spent any time under one during a rain or hail storm and I am sure there are many who can attest to their durability in the wind and heavy hail and all––but then there's the bug factor.

        I used to do the "cowboy camping" thing, but sometimes I got royally harassed by all the mosquitos. I just look at unenclosed tarps and think, no way . . . As much as I like being out there, I am happy climb in at the end of the day, zip up, have room to move and if need be, enough space to be able to spend some quality time in there, during a nice bit of raging weather.

        BOB

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
          I'm with Bob. I like freestanding, singlewall nominal 2-man shelters. My particular one is the Black Diamond Firstlight. I also bring a tyvek ground cloth, but only about the size as will go under me, rather than under the whole tent. I put it under the part of the tent I am most likely to be rolling around on. Quick to set up once you get the hang of it, very wind stable, you don't get rain blowing in the sides, can be set up on flat granite slabs, pretty small footprint relative to usable space.

          My particular tent is the Black Diamond Firstlight but Campmor may have similar designs.

          Inline image 1

          Side entry versions are a bit easier to enter and exit, but the ones that enter on the short side allow you to sleep half in and half out of the tent for stargazing and quickly retreat into the tent if rain or wind come into play in the night.

          Snow capable. Big enough to change clothes in so that you are not trying to get dressed in the rain. Very snug for 2 people -- lots of room for one.

          On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Barbara Karagosian

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
              I bought an ultralight TWO-person tent for just me when I read a blog that said the guy was upgrading to the two-person version of the tent I intended to buy just so he could comfortably fit himself and his dog! I was originally planning on the one-person version. Then, even though my tent is advertised as freestanding, it really wasn't (without the stakes, the corners caved in and you couldn't keep the space between the fly and the tent expanded enough without stakes to keep condensation at bay. So I was really frustrated and had to use rocks in areas where the campsite had a sandy layer on top of granite (which I think was three or four nights).

              I can tell you -- on the JMT, in my TWO person tent, me and my gear barely fit. Different pack maybe would make it work -- the hip belt on mine kept getting in the way, but I do prefer to have my pack inside (not the bear canister, of course). I had a removable fly so star gazing was still an option. while making bugs a non-issue. But then again, bugs not really an issue in September (which is when I went) anyway.

              So if it's you AND your son, AND your gear inside, you may want a three person tent with a removable fly to offer versatility and make sure the tent is truly freestanding (not just advertised as such).

              JoT.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013

                    The other advantage of being able to get your gear in the tent  is not having the mice, marmots, and other critters partying in your pack.

                    I took a two person, I would strongly consider a one person if -

                    1. It has enough room for the pack

                    2. was tall enough for me to sit upright or do the lightning squat

[...]

                  • john_friend
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013

                      I did the JMT this summer with a one person screened tarp tent (zpacks hexamid - expensive, but I saw many on the JMT).  There was room for some gear in the tent (such as my dry bag of clothes, hat, boots, etc...), but not for my pack itself as the tent is optimized for lightweight, not roomy size.

                      What I did was remove all food and scentables from the pack (shouldn't be any food in there anyway for bear reasons), then prop the pack up against a tree and put a garbage bag over it (in case of rain as I had 6 days of rain).

                      This worked out perfectly fine for me.  I never had a need for anything in the pack while I was in the tent (to be honest, there wasn't much left in the pack at night because most things I brought were in use or in the bear container).  I never had any issue with animals "inspecting" my pack probably because there were no scentables in it. Everything stayed dry when it rained (and believe me I had some major rain at night - on three separate nights, it rained hard most of the night).

                      So, as long as you plan for something to cover your pack, it really doesn't need to be in the tent with you. And, honestly if an animal is going to get interested in my pack for whatever reason, I'd quite rather the animal not show an interest in entering my tent.  There are stories about people leaving scentables in their tent at Trail Camp while day hiking up to Whitney and they come back to find a hole in one end of the tent where an animal gnawed their way in and a hole in the other end where they gnawed their way out.

                      --John

                      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      The other advantage of being able to get your gear in the tent  is not having the mice, marmots, and other critters partying in your pack.

                      I took a two person, I would strongly consider a one person if -

                      1. It has enough room for the pack

                      2. was tall enough for me to sit upright or do the lightning squat

                    • berdomb
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 13, 2013

                        I use a zpacks hexamid most of the time.

                        I hang my pack from my trekking pole that supports the tent/tarp.  Water bottles are not in the pack, they are lying down near me.

                        Everything I have is in my tent, sans food/garbage.  Even smellable water bottles.  A bear isnt going to tangle with a stinky human over a water bottle or ducttape.