JMT hiker survey

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2013
      I met some of you on the trail in September on my Northbound hike and asked for your e-mail address for the purposes of a JMT hiker survey.

      If so, you should have received an e-mail from me by now with a status update on the survey (still in preparation). If you didn't get my e-mail, either (1) I couldn't read the e-mail address you wrote or (2) it is caught in your spam filter. In either case, if you gave me an email address on trail but haven't heard from me, I'd appreciate hearing from you off board via an email to JohnLadd at gmail dot com.

      If you didn't seem me on the trial, but hiked all or any part of it with a start date Aug 1 or later, I'd also like to include you in the survey.

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2013
        On my northbound trip in September, I recruited people for a JMT hiker survey. I've received 172 responses so far and thank any of you who have participated. If you got an invitation, but haven't responded, please use the link in my personal e-mail to you rather than using the links below. I'm very hopeful that this Survey will capture a representative sample, at least of late-season hikers who got past Reds Meadow (almost all of my recruits signed on south of there). Results of this survey will be published here sometime next year.

        I've prepared similar surveys which will probably be less representative (because recruited among our members and Facebook JMT group members) but could attract a larger number of responses and provide further good information.

        If you didn't get a personal invitation to join the original survey (limited to people I met on trail) but hiked some or all of the trail starting in August or September of 2013, and want to participate in a similar survey, please go to this link and complete the survey there.

        If you didn't start a hike on the JMT in those two months, but are willing to respond with regard to your most recent Sierra hike of longer than five days, you can go to this link for the third version of the survey.

        The structured survey questions can be answered in 10 to 15 minutes, but I provided a "Bail out" option which you should reach after about five minutes. The survey will take longer if you answer some of the open-ended narrative questions, all of which are optional.

        Please respond to only one of these surveys, even if you would qualify for more than one.

        This will be cross-pasted to the Facebook group.

        San Francisco, CA  94114-3707