Clothing and How many?

  • Jessica Campbell
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hello
      I was also wondering how many pairs of each article of clothing to bring.
      This is my exact clothing gear list if anyone has any revisions.

      Packed clothing: Unpacked clothing:
      -2 pair synt. socks -outdoor pants/shorts
      -gaiters - synthetic t-shirt

      -nylon overshirt -sunhat
      -spare sunglasses -sunglasses
      -poncho -socks
      -windbreaker -sock liner
      -sockliners - boots (vasque gore tex waterproof)w/ isoform insoles
      -4 pairs cotton undies -pair of cotton undies

      Every ones advice is much appreciated!
      Jess

      The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John Muir

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        I bring clothesline and clothepins and do laundry nightly unless it rains.
        I use merino wool undies (ibex) only bring one extra. I do bring 2 extra
        pairs of socks in case it rains 2 days in the a row, but only bring one
        merino wool tshirt that I wear -- when I wash it (about every 3rd day, I
        wear my windbreaker as a shirt while the Tshirt is drying). I do not bring
        an extra pair of pants but I do bring swimsuit which I wear while I wait for
        pants to dry on the evening I wash my pants.

        Merino wool has a miracle property in that it does not smell after wearing
        even 3-4 days, unlike any other fiber there is. It also keeps you cool when
        it's hot, and helps you stay warm when it's cold. It is the miracle fabric
        of choice for ultralight backpackers.

        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Jessica Campbell
        <mountainjazzy@...>wrote:

        > Hello
        > I was also wondering how many pairs of each article of clothing to bring.
        > This is my exact clothing gear list if anyone has any revisions.
        >
        > Packed clothing: Unpacked clothing:
        > -2 pair synt. socks -outdoor
        > pants/shorts
        > -gaiters - synthetic
        > t-shirt
        >
        > -nylon overshirt -sunhat
        > -spare sunglasses -sunglasses
        > -poncho -socks
        > -windbreaker -sock liner
        > -sockliners - boots (vasque
        > gore tex waterproof)w/ isoform insoles
        > -4 pairs cotton undies -pair of cotton
        > undies
        >
        > Every ones advice is much appreciated!
        > Jess
        >

        > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
        > Muir

      • robert shattuck

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            Hi Jess-

            I agree with Robert--cotton will make you unhappy and you will feel every
            gram you are carrying after a few miles. That being said, it is a highly
            individual balancing act between what will keep YOU safe and comfy and what
            you are willing to do without, so it's good to experiment on 1 or 2-night
            overnights beforehand to fine-tune. One person's gear list may make you
            miserable, or it may change your life, you never know. You also have to
            know how cold/hot you get, sleep, hike, etc.

            That being said, I sort my clothes into 3 categories: basic hiking, basic
            camp, and extra layers/specific conditions.

            Basic hike:

            - wicking base layer (I like a tank w/built-in bra--I'm all about
            multi-use, 2-in-1 stuff)

            - midweight long-sleeve top (sometimes this doubles as my in-camp top, I
            usually hike pretty warm so I almost never hike in it, at least for long)

            - shorts with a wicking liner (eliminates the need for underwear plus I
            can rinse it out each day when I get to camp and it's clean and dry by
            morning)
            - Smartwool hiking socks (I dispensed with liners which still gave me
            blisters in favor of putting Vaseline on my feet which was like no-blister
            magic, but that's just me)
            - footwear (I prefer sturdy trailrunners like the Montrail Hardrock to
            boots (lighter, more comfortable, less likely to blister me, can double as a
            camp shoe, but again, that's just me)
            - a sun hat, sunglasses, sandals for water crossings.

            Basic camp:

            - midweight long undies (wool or capilene is great!)
            - 1 set capilene bra/underwear
            - insulating layer (I like a pair of fleece pants and a down
            jacket--light, compressible and warm but a fleece jacket works too)
            - fleece beanie, wool socks
            - camp shoes (either the sandals or the runners--unlike boots they are
            still comfortable at the end of a long day).

            Conditions: something for rain and/or wind for sure (especially wind once
            you start the final ascent to Whitney!). Sometimes I bring convertible
            pants and my REI rain jacket, sometimes I just go with Dri Ducks from
            Cabela's (super light and super cheap). I've also dispensed with the pack
            fly in favor of lining my pack with a durable trash bag.

            Hope this helps, and feel free ask more questions if you like. I hope you
            have the trip of a lifetime!

            Laura

            On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...>wrote:

            > Jess, Dump the cotton. whatever you take, the only thing that should be
            > cotton is your bandanna. you really don't need more than two pairs of
            > anything. buy a pair of convertible pants. a decent pair of sandals. crocs
            > are nice around camp. but you can't hike in them or crss streams very well .
            > . . sparklefart.blogspot.comhttp://
            > www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480To:
            > johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.comFrom: mountainjazzy@...: Thu, 5 Feb
            > 2009 08:01:02 -0800Subject: [John Muir Trail] Clothing and How many?

            > Hello
            > I was also wondering how many pairs of each article of clothing to bring.
            > This is my exact clothing gear list if anyone has any revisions.
            >
            > Packed clothing: Unpacked clothing:
            > -2 pair synt. socks -outdoor
            > pants/shorts
            > -gaiters - synthetic
            > t-shirt
            >
            > -nylon overshirt -sunhat
            > -spare sunglasses -sunglasses
            > -poncho -socks
            > -windbreaker -sock liner
            > -sockliners - boots (vasque
            > gore tex waterproof)w/ isoform insoles
            > -4 pairs cotton undies -pair of cotton
            > undies
            >
            > Every ones advice is much appreciated!
            > Jess
            >
            > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
            > Muir

          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
              Windows Live�: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
              http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Faster_022009