Half dome and your Gear???

  • Jessica Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hello everyone-
      I was looking for some advice on where to store our gear while we climb half dome. We plan to hike up half dome very very early in the morning. I was thinking just to keep the tents up and leave the packs inside of the tents and then put the bear can away from the tents just like if we were sleeping? I know that many of you are more experienced so any advice is greatly appreciated!
      Jess

      The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John Muir

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
        Great question, my concern was the number of people around that area and
        whether or not any of the gear is at risk of being stolen.

        On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@...>wrote:

        > Hello everyone-
        > I was looking for some advice on where to store our gear while we climb
        > half dome. We plan to hike up half dome very very early in the morning. I
        > was thinking just to keep the tents up and leave the packs inside of the
        > tents and then put the bear can away from the tents just like if we were
        > sleeping? I know that many of you are more experienced so any advice is
        > greatly appreciated!
        > Jess
        >

        > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
        > Muir

      • Kurt Herzog
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
          Jessica asks "where to store our gear while we
          climb half dome"

          When I did this a few years ago I camped just up
          the Cloud's Rest trail from it's junction with the
          JMT. There is a popular campsite right at the
          junction, but I was up on the ridge a couple of
          hundred yards away (N37° 44' 56.57" W119° 30'
          27.97" more or less).

          DO NOT leave your pack inside the tent! The bears
          will recognize it by sight or smell, and will
          destroy your tent in the process of learning that
          there was no food there. I have even heard
          horror-stories of bears breaking in to get a water
          bottle that was in view. Follow the Park Service
          recommendation: Leave pack flat on the ground,
          all pockets open so Yogi can see that there is
          nothing there. If your gear is out of sight of
          any trail or campsite you won't need to worry
          about the two-legged vandals.

          Kurt P. Herzog
          Grants Pass, Oregon
        • Jessica Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
            I think that it would be just fine to leave the pack inside the tent as long as you keep the bear can stashed somewhere separately from your tent and emptied pack of toothpaste,lotion,food and anything else bears like. I dont personally recommend leaving the packs outside stashed somewhere at that elevation because marmots love salt and pack straps are salty mmmmm....
            unless you had something to cover it with?
            hmm

            The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John Muir

            ________________________________

            On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@ yahoo.com>wrote:

            > Hello everyone-
            > I was looking for some advice on where to store our gear while we climb
            > half dome. We plan to hike up half dome very very early in the morning. I
            > was thinking just to keep the tents up and leave the packs inside of the
            > tents and then put the bear can away from the tents just like if we were
            > sleeping? I know that many of you are more experienced so any advice is
            > greatly appreciated!
            > Jess
            >

            > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
            > Muir

          • Ken
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
              I'm sure different people will have different opinions on what to do with gear. What I have been told is to unzip you backpack and its pockets to allow the marmots to go in and out of it. Apparently, they have been known to chew through backpacks to see what's inside it. Obviously, keep any food and scented items out of your pack. I have never had any problem with having gear stolen in Yosemite. I have camped at Little Yosemite Valley on several occasions and that has not been a problem. I left a pair of trekking pole at the saddle of Half Dome and an hour later it was still there. I guess my position is if someone wants to hike all that way up to steal my gear, they better hike faster than me on the down, because when I catch up to them there's going to be some ass kicking, after i thank them for dragging all my gear down for me. My group has a saying while on trail, "Raider Nation is not at 10,000 feet."

              ________________________________

              ____________ _________ _________ __
              Great question, my concern was the number of people around that area and
              whether or not any of the gear is at risk of being stolen.

              On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@ yahoo.com>wrote:

              > Hello everyone-
              > I was looking for some advice on where to store our gear while we climb
              > half dome. We plan to hike up half dome very very early in the morning. I
              > was thinking just to keep the tents up and leave the packs inside of the
              > tents and then put the bear can away from the tents just like if we were
              > sleeping? I know that many of you are more experienced so any advice is
              > greatly appreciated!
              > Jess
              >

              > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
              > Muir

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                I camped at LYV, left my pack unzipped and food etc in a bear locker, hiked
                up to the ridge just below the shoulder steps, left my boots (switched out
                for rock climbing shoes) and poles there, and they were still there when we
                got back down. No marmot issues either.

                _____

                yahoo.com>wrote:

                > Hello everyone-
                > I was looking for some advice on where to store our gear while we climb
                > half dome. We plan to hike up half dome very very early in the morning. I
                > was thinking just to keep the tents up and leave the packs inside of the
                > tents and then put the bear can away from the tents just like if we were
                > sleeping? I know that many of you are more experienced so any advice is
                > greatly appreciated!
                > Jess
                >

                > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
                > Muir

              • hmdsierra
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                  It's been twenty years since I was there but at that time there was a
                  cable in the campsite at the Cloud's Rest junction. It it's still
                  there you could hand your pack from it. We used in in '82 and again
                  in '89. I know this is OLD info but perhaps somebody here could
                  conform or deny.

                  --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Karagosian"
                  <barbara@...> wrote:

                  > I camped at LYV, left my pack unzipped and food etc in a bear
                  locker, hiked
                  > up to the ridge just below the shoulder steps, left my boots
                  (switched out
                  > for rock climbing shoes) and poles there, and they were still there
                  when we
                  > got back down. No marmot issues either.
                  >

                  > _____

                  <mailto:mountainjazzy%40yahoo.com>
                  > yahoo.com>

                • Peter Klein
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                    It was there in '96. Well, getting closer.

                    Pete

                  • Laura Adams
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2009
                      I think I just carried my mostly empty pack with me--with water bladder,
                      camera, wind-proof layers for the top (because it will be windy and you'll
                      be sweaty), food, etc.. There was a huge pile of gloves at the base of the
                      cable section, I just borrowed and returned from that. Bear can stayed
                      somewhere in near my camp in Little Yos and the tent stayed up with the rest
                      of my clothes etc. inside. In my over 10 years of backpacking I've never
                      had an issue with anyone messing with my stuff if I've left it up to go
                      dayhike around. It seems like once you commit to getting far enough from
                      the trailhead the people that you meet are pretty upstanding and helpful.
                      I've also done solo trips and never felt weird or threatened by people.
                      Plus, the campsite at Little Yos is not really within sighting distance of
                      the JMT/fork up to Half Dome so it's not like you'll have the hordes
                      trooping through your camp.

                      I agree with previous posters that marmots are indeed wily, but if you
                      aren't going in the early season (read May or June) they probably won't be
                      nearly as interested in the salt on your pack as they are in your food,
                      which will be in a bear can anyway, so... I think you'll have a great trip!
                      Enjoy.

                      Laura

                      On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Jessica Campbell <mountainjazzy@...>wrote:

                      > I think that it would be just fine to leave the pack inside the tent as
                      > long as you keep the bear can stashed somewhere separately from your tent
                      > and emptied pack of toothpaste,lotion,food and anything else bears like. I
                      > dont personally recommend leaving the packs outside stashed somewhere at
                      > that elevation because marmots love salt and pack straps are salty mmmmm....
                      > unless you had something to cover it with?
                      > hmm
                      >
                      > The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.- John
                      > Muir

                    • Steve Schauer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                        I agree with leaving your things at camp. Most folks in the backcountry do not want anything additional to carry! But just a warning about gloves at the base of Half Dome:
                        Last year there was a sign NOT to leave gloves, as the rangers were tired of packing them out as garbage. I would suggest being prepared with your own. I found a really sticky pair at the Ace hardware store that are meant for gardening. They are a real sticky substance on the fingers and grip, and a mesh on the back side. And, they were about $5!