Re: [John Muir Trail] resupply questions

  • Bgibson
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
      I as already leaning toward the BV500, and the comments I've received so far confirm my choice.
      thanks

      bob

      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
        Bob,

        I hiked the whole JMT from YV to Mt Whitney in 17 days.  Within the 17 days, I had 1.5 days total worth of time not hiking.  Those time were spent on doing laundry at resorts, packing resupply, and pigging at resorts.

        I carried a BV500.  Resupplying only at MTR to complete the southern half of JMT, my initial concern was similar to yours.  Can I pack enough food to last the distance?  I made it with easilly and with food left to spare.  I even ate one of my dinner for lunch.

        After about 3 days of hiking, I got use to a certain pace or 10-12 miles of hiking.  After 7 days of hiking, I was confortable with 15 miles a day. I got stronger and felt more comfortable hiking.

        To answer your question, it can be done with a BV500.  I repacked my dehydrated food in a zip lock bag for easy packing at MTR.  I wrote down the meal and the water ratio needed with a sharpie on the zip lock.

        My daily meals are oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, nuts, dried fruits, and jerky for lunch, and dehydrated meals for dinner.  Drink sweetner and assortment of cereal bars for snacks.

        Enjoy planning and enjoy you hike..

        Sim

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
          This topic came up recently on the pct-l forum. I don't think Ken Powers
          would mind if I reposted his post on the subject. KM is Kennedy Meadows,
          which is south of Mt. Whitney:

          Okay Ken, "fess up", what did you guys do on your last thru the Sierra?
          Please...

          Ok, I was asked.
          We planned for 10 days from KM to VVR. We carried the first 2+ days outside
          the Garcia canister. I think we entered the restricted zone with some bars
          and maybe part of a bag of potato chips outside the canister, plus that
          nights meal. Not much as I recall.

          We removed all the packaging that we could from the food. We smashed the
          food into the canister at home and mailed it to KM. When loading the
          canister we try to keep food we need the first few days higher in the
          canister. We do not want to unload any food and have to put it back in the
          canister. We don't plan on carrying as many calories as we burn in the high
          sierra or other long carries. But we eat well when we arrive at a re-supply.

          Here's what I remember about our food:

          Dinners - Packed dehydrated black beans in one of those grocery store
          vegetable bags. Packed instant brown rice and dehydrated salsa in another
          vegetable bag. We measured both out for 10 days. We had hot chocolate
          (dumped the contents out of the packets into another bag)

          Lunches - We carried 2 packages of 8-inch tortillas. One at the bottom of
          the canister and the other high so we could easily get it out. Must have had
          2 packages of sliced cheese (total 20 slices?). We used Gatorade powder at
          half strength for lunch and afternoon snack.

          Breakfast was our usual - 2 pop tarts, 1 tea bag and 1 hot chocolate from
          the bag above.

          Snacks - we carried 2-3 bars per person per day. I think we had a bag of
          chips or chex mix that was pretty smashed. We probably ate it with a spoon.

          That's it - 8 days food for 2 people in a Garcia.

          I carried the Garcia upright in my ULA Circuit. Stuffed clothing and tent
          around the canister to help pad it. We arrived at VVR on the morning shuttle
          of our 10th day. Darn, carried that extra food all the way to VVR. We didn't
          eat black beans and brown rice for a few days after VVR.

          Ken
          www GottaWalk com

          --
          Ralph Alcorn
          http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html

        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 2, 2013
            Hi folks,

            I just was able to get real time off in July. Obviously, I don't have a permit for the JMT and am hoping to secure one of the first come permits. I'm coming from Arizona and want to be pretty sure to get one. Any suggestions on how early I should be at the Wilderness Center? However early I need, I will be there. Thoughts?

            many thanks,

            craig
          • robert shattuck
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 2, 2013
              It's not how early you are willing to show up, but how long you are willing to wait around.

              I've shown up many a time after one in the afternoon and got just the permit I wanted . . . But just in case you don't, make sure your vacation time has some padding of at least 2-3 days, so you won't end up either having to move too fast, or end up bailing.

              if you get in line early in the morning, there are two (or so) ways it could go--11a.m rolls around and you get a permit to leave that very afternoon. Or you get a permit to leave the next day. Or . . .you could get no permit at all and end up spending another long night waiting in line for 11 a.m., to roll around.

              You also have trailhead quotas, so you have about four options from the valley, none if which will be that much of an inconvenience---they will usually be able to give you some sort of options, " you can leave from happy isles right now, or you can leave from Glacier point in the morning ( or the opposite of this) ..... Ultimately it is just very wise to have the extra days I. Your schedule for whatever inconvenience comes your way.

              Bob

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:53 PM, "Sheri" <flagstaffbiker@...> wrote:

              Hi folks,

              I just was able to get real time off in July. Obviously, I don't have a permit for the JMT and am hoping to secure one of the first come permits. I'm coming from Arizona and want to be pretty sure to get one. Any suggestions on how early I should be at the Wilderness Center? However early I need, I will be there. Thoughts?

              many thanks,

              craig

            • casey
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                If you aren't a Purist and don't mind missing the H.I. to Toulumne Mdws. portion of the trail (do it later as a separate hike?) and want to get a permit in advance. Permits for a start from Virginia Lakes are probably still available from the Forest Service office in Bridgeport. Virgina Lakes in on the north border of Yosemite, 24 trail miles from Toulumne Meadows, and is accessed from Highway 395 north of Lee Vining. This would allow you to plan your trip knowing your starting date and trail head.

                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                  _

                • treeve17
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                    Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
                  • cjoslyn99
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                      If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                      especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                      container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                      bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                      it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                        I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in marginal packaging, but both of those should work.

                        John L

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
                          Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

                          > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
                          > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
                          > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
                          >
                          > John L
                          >
                          > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                          > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                          > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                          > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                          > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
                          > >

                          > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
                          > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
                          > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
                          > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
                          > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
                          > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
                          > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
                          > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
                          > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

                        • Don Amundson
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
                            Try Minimus.com   I've always used the .5 oz packets and just put one in each of my individual plastic dinner bags.  Minimus also carries small  plastic bottles of olive oil.

                            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                            From: treeve17@...
                            Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:31:52 +0000
                            Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

                            Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

                            > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
                            > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
                            > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
                            >
                            > John L
                            >
                            > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >

                            > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                            > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                            > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                            > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                            > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
                            > >

                            > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
                            > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
                            > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
                            > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
                            > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
                            > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
                            > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
                            > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
                            > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

                          • Byron Nevins
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                              You must mean minimus.biz not minimus.com

                            • ravi_jmt2013
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                                Regarding olive oil leakage, I found that a 8 ounce Nalgene from REI is very solid in terms of preventing leaks. However, the weight of the Nalgene is 1.35 ounces which reduces the calories per ounce from 250 gross to 214 net for 8 ounces of olive oil. Still not bad but for the JMT I am going to use a larger Nalgene. The 16 ounce Nalgene is probably not twice the weight of the 8 ounce so there will be less of a penalty with the added volume.

                                To be extra safe I pack the Nalgene wrapped with absorbent paper (paper shop towels available at any auto parts store) and put it into a quart size ziplock.

                                This is the 8 ounce I currently use:

                                http://www.rei.com/product/402054/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-8-fl-oz
                              • Chris
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                                  treeve17:

                                  Did you see cjoslyn99's suggestion of using a 20oz plastic soda (Mtn Dew) bottle? Seems like the caps on those soda bottles have a better rubber seal than what you see on a plastic water bottle... they're designed to hold pressurized carbonated beverages. Also, I think they're lighter than any bottle you'd purchase, and disposable or recyclable, which is something you wanted. I'm persuaded.

                                  Chris.