Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Causes of Fatigue

  • Frank D
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2013
      I don't think anyone has mentioned taking a zero day to recover during a hike. If you haven't heard the term it means a day off with no hiking. These are often taken during resupply stops but on trail zeros can be rewarding.

      On my first long hike in the Sierra I started northbound from Kennedy Meadows in August. It was very hot, I didn't hydrate enough and when I got over 10000 feet I was feeling really bad. I thought about bailing off the trail but decided to try a rest day. I dropped down in altitude and spent a full day resting, drinking and eating. It made all the difference and saved my hike. I felt great going up Forrester Pass. I was fortunate that I had planned for an extra day on that section so I could take the day off and finish as planned.

      By planning for an extra day of food you can take a day off at any time. For a SOBO JMT hike it would be difficult to carry the extra food on the last section between MTR and Whitney, but taking a zero or two early in the hike may allow you to recover a bit before starting that section.

      Snap

      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:06 AM, <hstroh@...> wrote:

      John--

      I agree all of these factors, including not enough breaks, plays into fatigue. It seems counter-intuitive, but we learned the hard way that to go farther we had to go slower. I feel much better when I expand my hiking day by starting earlier and walking at a slower pace. On my last trip I made coffee in camp while I packed up, and hit the trail pre-dawn. When the sun was up and I was warm I would stop and enjoy a leisurely breakfast.This provided a nice break and was far more pleasurable then plowing through a breakfast while cold in camp and not yet hungry.

      Herb

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      John,
      Thanks for bringing the other factors up.

      I would add one more factor: not taking enough breaks or rest stops. I had a compulsion to keep moving forward (another group member explained this phenomenon very succinctly in a trip report) and even turned down a nice cup of tea from fellow hikers (I really wanted one too!) because of it.