Re: Refuel Container

  • casey
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2013
      20 oz. Mango Juice
    • Chip
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
        I enjoy pudding as part of my dinner. I make ziplock bags containing half a box of NO COOK instant pudding and the equivalent number of scoops of Nido milk powder to make the milk. On the trail I add the water, close the bag, squeeze the bag to break up the lumps, shake bag, and set aside while I eat dinner. The pudding is sweet, cool, and tasty.

        Use Nido whole milk powder, it provides the fat content that other non-fat powder milk mixes.

        Chip "Old Goat" Cenci
      • groundhogsteve
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013

          Pringles are good - I want something crunchy - Triscuit or Wheat Thins.

          Dried Pineapple.

          Faygo pineapple soda - I don't know why I thought of that, but it's really neat to have out in the wild, and I use their plastic bottles as one of my water bottles, so I tell myself it's just a replacement water bottle......

          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Pringles at MTR. Corn chips at Sandy Junction (Kearsarge Pass trail)  I couldn't figure out how to pack ice cream otherwise that would have been in my resupply box.

          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <chelsealee808@...> wrote:

          Can anyone recommend any "treats" or things that would be nice to have/look forward to in your refuel container?
        • Chelsea Bloch

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
              If planning a dinner near MTR - Trader Joes Indian Fare. Tastes very different that trail food. Heavy but compact. Punjab Eggplant is my personal favorite - over instant (5-minute) rice. Heat up the foil package of Eggplant first by steeping in a pot of hot water, then make the rice.

              TJ also has a vacuum sealed potato gnocchi that doesn't need refrigeration. Ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil and a good hard parmesan or peccorino can make a good sauce (use some of the cooking water as well). If you are going to mail back stuff in any case, you could include a glass jar of tomato sauce or pesto and mail back the empty jar.

              On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM, <chelsealee808@...> wrote:

              Can anyone recommend any "treats" or things that would be nice to have/look forward to in your refuel container?

            • longritchie

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 3, 2013
                  Is the only way to send a resupply container by using a barrel or can you send a regular UPS box?
                  That depends on the place you're resupply at.  MTR "requires" using a bucket.  Tuolumne Meadows is a Post office and will accept boxes as well as buckets. Red's Meadow uses a PO box address so again you can use anything a PO will accept.  VVR prefers you ship via UPS so again any container they will accept.  If you use a packer you'll need to find out from them what they want.  Usually a regular box is fine and that's what I've used.  I would suggest using Priority Mail service for tracking and also ease of return to you if you have to bail before getting your resupply.
                  You'll need to check for weight limits, often 25lbs and you don't have to use a 5 gal bucket.  3-3.5 gal buckets have worked for me  Remember you'll be putting everything, except for what ever treat you've packed, in your canister.  A five gallon bucket is 1155ci and that's bigger than any approved canister.