Southern Owens Valley Solar "Ranch" Project

  • ana_ca_us
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
      I am not sure how many of you are aware of the Los Angeles Dept. of Power's plan to install a 1200 acre industrial solar site directly opposite Manzanar in the Owens Valley. The viewshed from many of the surrounding peaks will be impacted by this installation. There are pictures posted on the Owens Valley Committee Facebook page illustrating these impacts.  The comments on the Draft Environmental Impact Report are due by November 2nd.  The Environmental Documents can be found here:  www.ladwp.com/envnotices.  It is the third one from the bottom: " Southern Owens Valley Solar Ranch".

      This installation will be an irreversible impact to the "Deepest Valley" and "Land of Little Rain" .  I am not sure it is stoppable at this point.  For those of you that live in the Los Angeles area, we have urged that DWP to hold a meeting in that area to get input from former Manzanar War Relocation Camp internees and others that haven't been able to make the trek to Bishop or Lone Pine where meetings were held last week.
      Sorry so long...but thought it important to get this out to all of you that may not be aware of this.
      Mary Roper
    • woodyrtt

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2013

          Probably a good sidebar topic. But as a producer of all of my own electricity, both comments are valid. But IMHO, all rooftops, parking lots and other disturbed areas (especially in and around urban areas) should be covered with PV panels before we start disrupting and covering large tracts of "wild lands".

          JD

        • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 12, 2013
            If all the glass cladding on all the office buildings in all the cities were PV panels,we probably could take care of much of the electrical generating needs.

            If there is money available to subsidize wind farms (Ugh!), why not subsidize the attachment of solar generating panels on all new and redeveloped office buildings?

            We have experimented successfully with translucent glass generating panels, so the technology is available.

            Ken.

            -
          • Paul Fretheim