Lyell Glacier melting quickly; may be gone in a couple decades

  • bradonjmt
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
    There's an interesting article in the LA Times about Lyell Glacier, the only glacier visible from the JMT:

    Attached is a photo of the glacier that I took on July 23, 2013 providing a somewhat expanded view of the photos from 1883 and late September in the LA Times article.

    -- Brad
    Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2, 2013
      Does anyone have a picture from 2011?   That was a record snow-pack year.

      _

      On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM, bradonjmt <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from bradonjmt included below]

      There's an interesting article in the LA Times about Lyell Glacier, the only glacier visible from the JMT:

      Attached is a photo of the glacier that I took on July 23, 2013 providing a somewhat expanded view of the photos from 1883 and late September in the LA Times article.

      -- Brad

    • dr.suuz_2013

        Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2013
          Here's a picture from August 10, 2011, the high snow year.
          Inline image 1

          And here's an even better comparison. 1st, Ansel Adams' picture of Thousand Island lake circa 1924. and the the same picture from virtually the same spot on August 9th 2011. The time of the year must have been the same if you check the angle of the sun and the shadows.Inline image 2Inline image 3