Donald Downs

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
      I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

      Inline image 1

      The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.

    • johndittli
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013

        It took a few trips, but finally saw it NoBo when I was working on the book.

        JD

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

        Inline image 1

        The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.

      • Jo T
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
          Wow, never saw this. He was very young.

          I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

          Inline image 1

          The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
            In barely awake (where's my coffee?) and on my cell, but don't you mean GLEN PASS?

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Oct 2, 2013, at 5:45 AM, "John Ladd" <johnladd@...> wrote:

            I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

            <2013 09 02 Forester Pass Donald Downs 1255040171_16819.jpg>

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
                  I've seen it! The poor guy was just 18 years old about a month from his 19th birthday!

                  Larry
[...]

                  John Curran Ladd
                  1616 Castro Street San Francisco, CA  94114-3707415-648-9279
                • coureur_de_boue
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
                    I saw it my Southbound hike a couple of weeks ago (Sept 187h/18th). I didn't know it was there & saw it anyway...bonus points because we did Forrester at night by the (almost) full moon & our headlamps were off.

                    -Spectacular!!
                  • Carol Wall
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2013
                      I did and made my daughter walk way back to see it - which was a long way.  Glad to see this site is back to its courteous style.  And, thanks to Ray R., for sound trail advice during our SOBO time, as well as suggesting that hysteria might not have played a part in the 2 mtn lion misadventures.  Thanks also to John Ladd for the attempts at balance and the encouraging trail greeting.  We'll get to survey.  Oh, and our pole tips stayed on the whole trail.  Happy hiking, Carol

                      Sent from my iPad

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 11, 2013
                        I waypointed the Downs memorial (see post below) on my last trip. If you'd like to stop there on your next trip, you can save this waypoint to your GPS and use it as you approach the bottom of the switchbacks on the south side of Forester Pass.

                        UTM NAD27 CONUS
                        377498E 4061291.94 Zone11N

                        UTM NAD83
                        377417.85E  4061490.7 N Zone11N

                        Elevation approximately 12,700

                        Mr. Downs, aged 18, was killed in a 1930 accident while constructing the trail.

                        If you are looking for it without using GPS or an altimeter, these directions may help:

                        Once you are about 75% of the way down the switchbacks southbound from Forester Pass start looking over your left shoulder each time you approach a switchhback turn to your right. It's high on a big boulder that you can only see easily while hiking Northbound.

                        The location is here on  a Google map. If you switch to satellite view and zoom in you can see the boulder it is placed on.

                        I've added to my collection of misc waypoints (mostly waterfalls).

                        Link to a picture of the memorial

                        Link to what you are looking for when looking over your shoulder at the right switchbacks

                        On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 5:44 AM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
                        I'm curious how many of you noticed the plaque memorializing Donald I Downs, who died in an accident while building the trail over Forester Pass

                        Inline image 1

                        The plaque is about 75% of the way down the switchbacks South of the Pass. It is oriented in a way that it is easy to notice while hiking northbound. But hiking from the more usual direction, it essentially is hidden behind a boulder and you only notice it if you look over your shoulder.

                      • forgetwho

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 12, 2013

                              Gail

                              I'm not sure when the plaque was placed, but I'm guessing it was not long after the section of trail was completed.

                              The story of Donald Downs is a tragic one. Several young men were injured when a blast sent large rocks down upon them. Downs' arm was crushed and subsequently amputated days later by a doctor while still in the field. Downs died later while still in the backcountry as a result of complications (probably gangrene).

                              Downs and the others were evacuated via Shepherd Pass in what was quite an epic rescue/recovery for the day.

                              JD

                              Walk the SkY: Following the John Muir Trail

                              see book here

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 12, 2013
                                On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 8:00 AM,  <forgetwho@...> wrote:

                                > I've looked at the photo of the memorial and am struck by how poignant the
                                > wording is.  Do you know what year the memorial was placed there?
                                >

                                > Gail

                                I love it when you guys give me a research assignment!

                                According to

                                Uncertain Path: A Search for the Future of National Parks By William C. Tweed

                                the plaque went up shortly after the accident.

                                Tweed reports encountering the famous Reinhold Metzger near the plaque. Metzger said he had passed the plaque over 10 times without noticing it. So none of you need to feel badly about having unknowingly hiked past it.

                                (Metzger held the JMT time record for some years but he is not the famous mountain climber with the similar name, Reinhold Messner).

                                See page 131-134 of the book (page views available on Google Books)

                                This link might get you to the pages with the account (I'm not sure how well Google Book links work)

                                I found this account thanks to Lizzie Wenk (the author of the great Wilderness Press JMT Guidebook) who recently told me that an account of the Downs accident is also found at pages 107-09 of

                                Death, Daring, and Disaster: Search and Rescue in the National Parks By Charles R. Farabee

                                If you search for it in Google Books, you can read that account as well

                                This link might (or might not) work:

                                books.google.com/books?id=9UeiKRE54TQC&pg=PA107&lpg=PA109

                                I found the Tweed account only after Lizzie told me about Farabee and I decided to look further.

                                According to the somewhat differing accounts in the two books, "Buck" Downs was injured on August 26, 1930 along with 3 other workers when a dynamite blast above them dislodged a boulder that pinned and crushed his arm, which was then amputated in the field due to gangrene. Further infection set in and it (or a resulting internal hemorrhage) killed him about a week post- accident before he could be evacuated. The others survived. His mother apparently hiked in to be with him when he died.

                                As a side note, a aircraft dropped medicine for Downs but crashed a few miles later after making the delivery (the occupants survived the crash). At the time he died, there were efforts to get a dirigible in to evacuate him and another of those injured.

                                You can buy the Farabee book (which looks worth at least skimming) via any of these links - be sure to look for the 2005 Revised Edition. I ordered a used one at Abebooks (first link) for under $4 including shopping.

                                There's also a news story from the Modesto Bee available online at

                                With this very inadequate OCR transcription

                                FRESNO. Ca!.. Sept 3. (tPt-- Donald Downs, vouthlul victim of a rock slide, died of his injuries Monday midnight In Baxter cabin, above the tlmberllns in Sequoia National Park, near where he and three other youths were injured more than a week ago. His mother was at his bedside. Death was reported to have resulted from gangrene of the remnant of his left arm, amputated above the elbow by Dr. Morton W. Frsser, park physician, after it had been crushed bv a huge boulder. Dr. W. L. Adams, Fresno bone specialist, had flown to Independence yesterday and was on the trail to the improvised' hospital where Downs and Ed Jordan. Dlnuba, lay when wcrd reached him that Downs had dlad. Dr. Auns continued on his way, to Rive bis services on behalf of Jordan, who Is suffering from several brotten bones. ' - Arrangements.were reported under way to remove Downs' body and take Jordan to a hospital in a dirigible. Albright At Scene Hcrace 11. Albright, director of national park service, was In Independence vesterday. His plans called for use either of a Goodyear blimp from Los Angeles or an army blimp from March Field. Jordan's mother. Mrs. Louise Risley, left her Diniiba home yesterday to go to her.son..She was reported being taken back through Ihe mountains from -Sequoia.Na- tional Park headquarters' at Ash Mountain'by pack train.-St- is expected to.arrive.at the cabin today. - ' " . Robert .Rankin.- Palo Alto, and Donald Griffin,--Fresno, the other two vounBJnembers Injured a week ago yesterday of the siSc-man crew that was-granting..on the John Muir 'Traik--are-in Fresno, recuperating" "from;' th'elr- less serious hurts. . · ·; ' ' ; ' ' ·..' · '-' ' . ,. Cheerful To last Downs'was wan and'drawn but 'sttir''smiling cheerfully a dozen hours'before be died. · -That was-the-description .of him given, here by ; Jack. Schneider, Fresno' aviator -whose, plane'came to grief shortly after he had landed medical supplies by parachute near 'the.camp Monday. Schneider' 'had · Forest Ranger Floyd SheUabarger-as a.guide-in his two-place .plane when the motor failed and Schneider crashed the craft into some 'shrub-like trees, the only, vegetation- in that high altitude. "We were only a mile or BO from Baxter, cabin where the boys were," Schneider said. "When we reached it Dr..Fraier said Downs "and Jordan wanted-to see the aviators,.so we .went in. "Downs looked very bad. His face was drswn" and-colorless, yet ... appeared in a cheerful mood. Jordan also seemed quite cheerful. His appearance Traa much better than Downs'." . Downs died of gangrene at midnight, twelve hours after Schneider .w him

                                Sept 8--11B--Tho body uC DoiutU OuHiii, Gleiuiil* yaath. was in lUk homeward vmy to-day, reports from Independence said. Advices from there said the body was being taken by pack train to Independence, and that MRS. V. M. Downs, mother of the dead youth, was accompanying It. FRESNO. Ca!..

                                San Francisco, CA  94114-3707
                                415-648-9279

                              • forgetwho
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 13, 2013
                                  Thank you, John - and John!

                                  The circumstances help to explain the plaque.  He died only after protracted efforts to save him failed, and his fellow workers and rescuers suffered more, probably, for having failed.  While I was reading this I thought back to an incident when I was a child - Kathy and the well, does anyone else remember this? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Fiscus) I was six at the time. We had no TV; I followed it on the radio for days.  That was not a wilderness tragedy, but psychologically it feels similar to me.

> [...]

                                  Sept 8--11B--Tho body uC DoiutU OuHiii, Gleiuiil* yaath. was in lUk homeward vmy to-day, reports from Independence said. Advices from there said the body was being taken by pack train to Independence, and that MRS. V. M. Downs, mother of the dead youth, was accompanying It. FRESNO. Ca!..

                                • rwilly001
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 13, 2013

                                    A bit more info on plaque location from bpl:

                                    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24805

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 13, 2013
                                      On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM, <rwilly001@...> wrote:

                                      Just a warning on one aspect of this intersting BPL thread: Looks to me like the waypoint given in one posting (N 36 41.504 W 118 22.343) is wrong. The poster does not state what map datum he was using, so it is hard to tell for sure, but I don't think the usual datums differ by much when expressed in Lat/Long terms

                                      But if it was based on the NAD27 datum, it's about 500 feet off of the JMT trace as shown on the USGS 7.5 minute topo. If it was based on NAD83/WGS84 maybe it's right (I don't have an easy way to check that with my mapping software)

                                      If you want to use Lat/lLong rather than UTM coordinates, I think this is right, using the NAD27 datum and my waypoint

                                      N 36 degrees, 41.473 minutes
                                      W 118 degrees, 22.272 minutes

                                      The UTM co-ordinates (easier to use on most maps and GPS devices) for my waypoint were

                                      using the datum NAD27 CONUS
                                      377498E 4061291.94 Zone11N

                                      using the datum NAD83 (same as WGS84)
                                      377417.85E  4061490.7 N Zone11N

                                      Elevation approximately 12,700

                                      The Wilderness Press waypoints are also given in the UTM format rather than Lat/Long - they list both datums NAD27 and NAD83

                                      My waypoint, however expressed, is (1) on the USGS topo map trace of the JMT and (2) shows itself to be at the right location in Google Maps satellite view (on the trail and just before a right hand switchback headed downhill). So I have a fair amount of confidence in the waypoint I recorded in September

                                      John Ladd

                                    • Joe MacLeish
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 13, 2013

                                        Attached is a cut and paste from an article from Budget travel.  I pasted in the comments of a guy who says he was in Yosemite last week and it was open (he says).  Has anybody been there and been kicked out or not let in?  I was on the road for the last two weeks and the visitor centers all over the North West are closed but the areas are sort of open.  We saw Mt St Helens (hard to close the view) but the Visitor Centers were all closed.  We cut our vacation short by a week assuming Dinosaur Ntl Monument and Canyon Lands and Arches were closed.

                                        I cut out most of the article because it was not relevant to Yosemite.

                                        Joe

                                        National parks closed? Try these state parks and local attractions instead

                                        udget TravelBy Kaeli Conforti | Budget Travel – Wed, Oct 9, 2013 1:11 PM EDT

                                        http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/national-parks-closed--try-these-state-parks-and-local-attractions-instead-171136618.html

                                        pito  •  4 days ago Report Abuse

                                        i spent last thursday and friday in yosemite.....park is open basically, they just cant say it. i was married in yosemite, and go 10-15 times a year, and gotta tell you it was one of my favorite visits having the park to myself....almost

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 14, 2013
                                            The roads are open, but no parking. Parked cars in TM are being ticketed.

                                            JD

                                            --
                                            John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                                            John Dittli Photography

                                            2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
                                          • Joe MacLeish
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 14, 2013

                                              But if the Rangers are furloughed who is doing the ticketing?

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 15, 2013

                                                There is a skeleton crew of Rangers for security/ticketing.  Some Wawona area concessions or private businesses are open.