Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Now My Search for the JMT

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013
      Can we continue this thread on the JohnMuirTrail_sidebar Yahoo Group?  When it gets to the issue of guns in the backcountry, it's definitely a sidebar topic.  I really encourage the thread to continue over there, that is exactly what it is there for.

      Thanks!
      Roleigh

      _

      On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

      John,

      So now that we have had an hysterical report from a woman about a lion sighting, we are now expected to be ranging the wilderness with guns in hand?

      I don't understand this obsession Americans have with guns, no other country has as many guns as America. Who are you afraid of, each other? Who are you going to use the guns on, again, each other?

      It's crazy, and I believe you know it.

      Ken.

      > Ken -- This seems harsh. The two stories of mountain lion stalkings this
      > year were very strange animal behavior and worth being concerned about.
      > Strange enough that I suppose -- if I knew how to use a gun safely and was
      > carrying it -- I think I would have had it out and handy so I could use it
      > if attacked.
      >
      > It's still *not* my opinion that firearms are worth the weight. And I

      > suspect that an accidental discharge is statistically more likely than
      > actual usefulness in the almost unknown case of an animal attack in the
      > Sierra. But if there ever were a reason for bringing one, the two very
      > strange mtn. lion stories this year (Cat's and the one earlier involving a
      > solo woman PCT hiker) would be it.
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279
      >

      > On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett
      > @gmail.com> wrote:
      >
      > > **

      > > "I do carry a concealed weapon but i'm not sure about taking it yet, Cat's
      > > story , may have convinced me to take it"
      > >
      > > Sure, go into the wilderness and kill an animal that lives there, why not?
      > >
      > > Ken.

    • jamesrchristopherson
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2013

        Roleigh,

        That wasn't my goal of the discussion, sorry about that.

        Im more concerned with getting the basics from all of you "experts" so that I can begin to plan my own trek next year.

        James

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Can we continue this thread on the JohnMuirTrail_sidebar Yahoo Group?  When it gets to the issue of guns in the backcountry, it's definitely a sidebar topic.  I really encourage the thread to continue over there, that is exactly what it is there for.

        Thanks!
        Roleigh

        _

        On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

        John,

        So now that we have had an hysterical report from a woman about a lion sighting, we are now expected to be ranging the wilderness with guns in hand?

        I don't understand this obsession Americans have with guns, no other country has as many guns as America. Who are you afraid of, each other? Who are you going to use the guns on, again, each other?

        It's crazy, and I believe you know it.

        Ken.

        > Ken -- This seems harsh. The two stories of mountain lion stalkings this
        > year were very strange animal behavior and worth being concerned about.
        > Strange enough that I suppose -- if I knew how to use a gun safely and was
        > carrying it -- I think I would have had it out and handy so I could use it
        > if attacked.
        >
        > It's still *not* my opinion that firearms are worth the weight. And I

        > suspect that an accidental discharge is statistically more likely than
        > actual usefulness in the almost unknown case of an animal attack in the
        > Sierra. But if there ever were a reason for bringing one, the two very
        > strange mtn. lion stories this year (Cat's and the one earlier involving a
        > solo woman PCT hiker) would be it.
        >
        > John Curran Ladd
        > 1616 Castro Street
        > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
        > 415-648-9279
        >

        > On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett
        > @gmail.com> wrote:
        >
        > > **

        > > "I do carry a concealed weapon but i'm not sure about taking it yet, Cat's
        > > story , may have convinced me to take it"
        > >
        > > Sure, go into the wilderness and kill an animal that lives there, why not?
        > >
        > > Ken.

      • whcobbs
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 2, 2013

           James,

          Really, you are not going to be solo, so long as you are on the trail.  I hiked from TM to Whitney Portal 27 August--15 September 2013.  I never went more than 2 hours without human contact.  The sole exception occurred when I took the wrong turn near Devil's Postpile and ended up on the trail to Fern Lake.  After about 2 hours I realized I hadn't met anyone, so I checked my GPS, leading to a turnaround.  On the access trails for resupply, in this case Bishop Pass and Kearsarge Pass, pretty much the same rate of contact was the rule.  Descending from Mt Whitney, I found myself at Whitney Junction about 3:30 PM, but it was easy to join a friendly group for the headlamp march 11 miles out to Whitney Portal, and a ride to my waiting motel.  Also, people are generous to hikers, in the form of rides to trail heads.

          Happy trails,

          Walt

          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          I'm hoping to segment the JMT from Lake Edison to TM or HI, and was wondering if anyone can give me general info on doing that SOLO.  I have collected as much as my brain can hold off the internet, and the files on this site, and would like some real people contact.

          I am here in Fresno and my wife will drop me off and pick me back up on both ends so that's not a problem.  I am an experienced backpacker with the Scouts and probably have close to 1000 days and miles in my past.  I did half Dome this past summer by going to LYV and spending the night and then summiting and going home the next day.  The mileage was easy.  Im a runner doing 3 miles 4-5 times per week and a half marathon every once in a while.

          Thoughts I was wondering about for JMT are:

          miles/day

          places to go fishing

          go Northbound or Southbound

                                I know NB out of Edison is easy to get the permit

          dangers of being alone

                         I do carry a concealed weapon but i'm not sure about taking it yet, Cat's

                         story , may have convinced me to take it

          bring a Sat phone or a SPOT device

          Remember not looking for specifics now, just trying to put the pencil to paper and see what I can come up with.

          Thank you in advance

          James