Google honors Yosemite NP and the JMT

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1 7:48 AM
      Today's Google home searchpage logo in honor of the 123rd anniversary of the establishment of the now-closed park

      Inline image 1

      Please, though, lets not go the way of the nasty political debate raging over on the Yahoo FB page. The trail is still there.

    • cjoslyn99
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1 10:12 AM

        Painfully ironic.  Are people allowed to use the trails?

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Today's Google home searchpage logo in honor of the 123rd anniversary of the establishment of the now-closed park

        Inline image 1

        Please, though, lets not go the way of the nasty political debate raging over on the Yahoo FB page. The trail is still there.

      • Rick Martyn
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1 10:18 AM

          On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

          Painfully ironic.  Are people allowed to use the trails?

          ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Today's Google home searchpage logo in honor of the 123rd anniversary of the establishment of the now-closed park

          Inline image 1

          Please, though, lets not go the way of the nasty political debate raging over on the Yahoo FB page. The trail is still there.

        • Barbara Karagosian

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1 11:13 AM

              Folks with permits are apparently allowed to stay on trail until the permits expire, so anyone still NoBo on the JMT is presumably safe.  But no new permits are being issued, so hiking up from a Yosemite trailhead is a citable offense, so "closed" does have a legal meaning, even if there's no fence and locked gate.

              But what about someone starting a backcountry hike outside where self-registration is okay? That's probably a loophole big enough to hike through for a few late-season backpackers.

              The scenery is still there. Wildlife is on furlough, however. The big pump that keeps the streams flowing is only being operated at its minimum power setting.
              --

              Richard

              ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <barbara@...> wrote:

              And how will they stop people using the trails?  You can't put a fence around a wilderness.
              On Oct 1, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Rick Martyn <rickmartyn@...> wrote:

              Nope.

              On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM, <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

              Painfully ironic.  Are people allowed to use the trails?

            • chelsealee808