Re: [John Muir Trail] tent selection

  • Bill Cathey
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
      Now I don't feel so bad that I'm expecting delivery of my fourth tent tomorrow ;o)

      Of course, I've only been backpacking for 3 years, so I hope that ratio doesn't continue.

      bill

      On Sep 26, 2013, at 9:33 AM, <johndittli@...> wrote:

      1 four person, 4 two persons, 1 tarp (megamid), 2 one person, 2 bivys. But please don't call me the "Queen" of tents.

      I did actually pay for a couple of them. I'm glad you made me count Don, it's time for a purge

      JD

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Can anyone beat those numbers or do we crown Barbara Queen of Tents?

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: barbara@...
      Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 21:36:03 -0700
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] tent selection

      WHAT!  I only have an 8 person, a 3 person, a 2 person and 3 one persons!!

      Barbara

      On Sep 25, 2013, at 8:10 PM, Don Amundson <amrowinc@...> wrote:

      The Outdoor Retailer Trade Show is about the biggest trade show around but it's oriented towards retail store buyers and shows gear that is sometimes 2 years out from being available in stores for the general public.  The PCT kickoff Barbara mentions is great for looking at and trying gear that is not normally available in stores like REI.  It's a gathering of the cottage industry makers who primarily sell on line.  You won't see any Big Agnes tents there.

      Then again Barbara may have enough tents to do her own trade show. ;-)

      From: barbara@...

      PCT kickoff in April near San Diego. Long way off tho.
      On Sep 25, 2013, at 5:14 PM, "Tim Goodrich" <tim@...> wrote:

      I’ve read much about tents on here and currently use a Fly Creek UL2. I like the weight and design, but dislike the number of tent stakes you need to set it up correctly. In shopping for a new tent, I’d prefer to see them set up in person first. REI and Adventure16 just don’t have the selection of available tents to make a good choice.

      Does anyone know of any trade shows or equipment showcases where many of the tent manufacturers convene to show off and sell their products? I’m thinking that, being in Los Angeles, if we don’t have something like this, we should.

      Thanks,

      Tim

    • Marion Davison
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 28, 2013
        Don Amundson wrote:
        > Can anyone beat those numbers or do we crown Barbara Queen of Tents?

        I have one 10-person tent, 2 4-person tents, 6 2-person tents, and a
        tarptent.
        I think that's pretty normal for a person over 50 who's been
        backpacking/llama packing/tent camping since high school and never gets
        rid of anything that is still functional. Is there a 12 step group for
        this?
      • Barbara Karagosian
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 28, 2013
          Don runs that group :-)

          Barbara

          > On Sep 28, 2013, at 12:26 PM, Marion Davison <mardav@...> wrote:
          >
          > Don Amundson wrote:
          >> Can anyone beat those numbers or do we crown Barbara Queen of Tents?
          > I have one 10-person tent, 2 4-person tents, 6 2-person tents, and a
          > tarptent.
          > I think that's pretty normal for a person over 50 who's been
          > backpacking/llama packing/tent camping since high school and never gets
          > rid of anything that is still functional. Is there a 12 step group for
          > this?

          > Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply. Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail. We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to:

        • Don Amundson
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 28, 2013

            Marion-you are the current queen.  If you think have 10 tents is normal you might consider looking into a 12 step group.  There's Hoarders Anonymous and Clutterers Anonymous (I'm not sure if they're 12 step based).  Or then again, you could form your own group.  It seems hoarding gear is a prevalent addiction.  On the other hand, if you have room to store everything, don't fight over it with anyone, don't go into debt to feed your habit, then you might just be standing on the edge of the cliff. Be careful though, one more tent might send you over the edge into the dark side.  ;-)