Re: [John Muir Trail] permit

    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 2, 2009
      Same here! I got an email confirmation first thing today. Barbara, perhaps
      our groups will meet each other that day.

      Roleigh

      On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      > I got my permit!! Woohoo! The first day to call for July 19 was Sunday
      > Feb
      > 1, but they're closed on Sundays. You can still fax tho. So I did. Then
      > called today promptly at 8:30am (opening time). It was busy for 10 minutes
      > or so, then the ranger confirmed at once that I had my first choice of
      > dates
      > - so I guess they check out the weekends faxes before they start on the
      > phones. My trailhead is Lyell Canyon which I don't think is as pressured
      > as
      > happy isles and LYV.
      >

      > Good luck anyone else who's applying. And these are only the beforehand
      > ones of course, there's always walk ups too. Barbara

    • The Incredible Bulk
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
        Barbara,

        Where are the rules located online for securing a permit for the JMT. I would like to book my 2 week trip for the last two weeks of August. Can I ask for those dates now, or do I have to wait until a later date. I always see folks mentioning the first of a month opens future dates. I have secured dates the past few years, but that was within one month of our hike. I want to prepare and have the permit secured now for August.

        I had the MRI of my right knee yesterday, and the tech showed me the results (I don't see the Dr for another two weeks!!!). There is loads of fluid on the knee, and what looks like torn or rough tissue in the knee. I think I will need surgery. I am going to buy a mountain bike for training. The less impact on my kness (as through day hike training) the longer my knees will last. Mountain biking is very good training.

        Tom
        The Incredible Bulk

        ---- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

        =============
        I got my permit!! Woohoo! The first day to call for July 19 was Sunday Feb
        1, but they're closed on Sundays. You can still fax tho. So I did. Then I
        called today promptly at 8:30am (opening time). It was busy for 10 minutes
        or so, then the ranger confirmed at once that I had my first choice of dates
        - so I guess they check out the weekends faxes before they start on the
        phones. My trailhead is Lyell Canyon which I don't think is as pressured as
        happy isles and LYV.

        Good luck anyone else who's applying. And these are only the beforehand
        ones of course, there's always walk ups too. Barbara

      • Steve Schauer
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 3, 2009
          Here are the links for most of the trailheads:
          http://www.johnmuirtrail.org/permits.html
          Some are 24 weeks in advance, but Inyo National Forest says 6 months, so for Aug 15, you can send your request on Feb 15.

          > Where are the rules located online for securing a permit
          > for the JMT. I would like to book my 2 week trip for the
          > last two weeks of August. Can I ask for those dates now, or
          > do I have to wait until a later date. I always see folks
          > mentioning the first of a month opens future dates. I have
          > secured dates the past few years, but that was within one
          > month of our hike. I want to prepare and have the permit
          > secured now for August.
          >
          > I had the MRI of my right knee yesterday, and the tech
          > showed me the results (I don't see the Dr for another
          > two weeks!!!). There is loads of fluid on the knee, and
          > what looks like torn or rough tissue in the knee. I think I
          > will need surgery. I am going to buy a mountain bike for
          > training. The less impact on my kness (as through day hike
          > training) the longer my knees will last. Mountain biking is
          > very good training.
          >
          > Tom
          > The Incredible Bulk
          >

          > ---- Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:
          >
          > =============
          > I got my permit!! Woohoo! The first day to call for July
          > 19 was Sunday Feb
          > 1, but they're closed on Sundays. You can still fax
          > tho. So I did. Then I
          > called today promptly at 8:30am (opening time). It was
          > busy for 10 minutes
          > or so, then the ranger confirmed at once that I had my
          > first choice of dates
          > - so I guess they check out the weekends faxes before they
          > start on the
          > phones. My trailhead is Lyell Canyon which I don't
          > think is as pressured as
          > happy isles and LYV.
          >

          > Good luck anyone else who's applying. And these are
          > only the beforehand
          > ones of course, there's always walk ups too. Barbara

        • Bgibson
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
            Hi everyone,

            I'm planning a solo JMT hike north to south in late June or early July, starting in Yosemite. I've been poring over Elizabeth Wenk's John Muir Trail and I'm really looking forward to the trip.  But I'm a bit uncertain in a couple of areas and thought I'd toss out a question to the experts on this list who keep giving lots of good advice based on their experiences on the trail.

            I'm looking at the distances in the book that show mileage from the Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal as 111 miles, with no easy access along the trail to resupply in those sections.  I'd rather not hike out for resupplies, then hike back in and take two to three days to do that.

            I'm planning to buy a bear canister, and in looking over the specs, most indicate they have space  a six to seven day supply of food.  Assuming I carry one day's food outside the canister, I'd be able to plan for a seven to eight days of meals.  But I'm not sure how feasible it would be for someone living in Ohio to keep up a 14 to 15 mile-a-day pace over the last 100 or so miles at that altitude.  I don't know whether to just plan for an expensive resupply along the way, or buy the larger bear vault.  I have done that sort of pace over the AT, but those mountains are not nearly as high.

            So my question to those who did the last 100 plus miles without resupply -- what kind of pace did you maintain, and were you able to pack enough food into your bear canister.

            Or, should I just make the trip out for supplies a part of my planning and enjoy the side trail, which from what I've read will be wonderful also.

            thanks,

            Bob

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
              The Bearikade Weekender will fit 7 days of food/smelly items in it. The
              Expedition which weighs 6 oz more will fit about 10-11 days. You might be
              able to get 8 days in the Weekender depending.

              I average 10 miles a day on the JMT with 15 miles for the last day as once
              you hit Trailcrest Pass, you 're going to keep hiking till you're out of the
              park (the last day).

              It took me 10 days to go from MTR to WP.

              Consider making a mock bear cannister out of inexpensive aluminum sheet or
              cardboard and seeing if you can stuff 8 days of food/toiletry (smelly) items
              in the bearikade weekender. If you can, the first day's food could be
              carried outside the cannister. You then have one day of food you can't
              store in the cannister and technically speaking you could get fined up to
              $500 if caught by the rangers and kicked out of the park. But if you can
              hike 12 miles a day average, you could get by with doing it in 9 days and
              get by with just the weekender.

              For 6 oz more you can take the Bearikade Expedition and you'll have no
              problem.

              What I'd be concerned about is the amount of snow going over the passes at
              that time of the year. Lots of PCT hikers do it but how they do it safely
              and fast amazes me.

              I favor doing the JMT at peak snow melt (chance of no snowstorm), which I
              figure is mid-july to mid-august.

              I'll be doing the entire JMT this summer in the mid-july to mid-august
              time.

              The bearikade is sold by http://www.wild-ideas.net -- you can rent from them
              too. They are a pound lighter than any competitor brand.

              Roleigh

              On 2/4/09, Bgibson <doyle6767@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I'm planning a solo JMT hike north to south in late June or early July,
              > starting in Yosemite. I've been poring over Elizabeth Wenk's John Muir Trail
              > and I'm really looking forward to the trip. But I'm a bit uncertain in a
              > couple of areas and thought I'd toss out a question to the experts on this
              > list who keep giving lots of good advice based on their experiences on the
              > trail.
              >
              > I'm looking at the distances in the book that show mileage from the Muir
              > Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal as 111 miles, with no easy access along the
              > trail to resupply in those sections. I'd rather not hike out for
              > resupplies, then hike back in and take two to three days to do that.
              >
              > I'm planning to buy a bear canister, and in looking over the specs, most
              > indicate they have space a six to seven day supply of food. Assuming I
              > carry one day's food outside the canister, I'd be able to plan for a seven
              > to eight days of meals. But I'm not sure how feasible it would be for
              > someone living in Ohio to keep up a 14 to 15 mile-a-day pace over the last
              > 100 or so miles at that altitude. I don't know whether to just plan for an
              > expensive resupply along the way, or buy the larger bear vault. I have done
              > that sort of pace over the AT, but those mountains are not nearly as high.
              >
              > So my question to those who did the last 100 plus miles without resupply --
              > what kind of pace did you maintain, and were you able to pack enough food
              > into your bear canister.
              >
              > Or, should I just make the trip out for supplies a part of my planning and
              > enjoy the side trail, which from what I've read will be wonderful also.
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Bob

            • Barbara Karagosian
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                Hi there,

                Re bear canisters, check out the web site for Wild Ideas. They make the
                Bearikade canisters - the Expedition size holds 9 days of food and other
                smelly items. You can rent these, and if you tell them you are doing the
                JMT, the rental is $55 total (plus shipping). They charge you for days on
                trail, not days spent in the mail to and from. I used one last year and
                loved it - plus it is actually lighter than the bigger Bear Vault, as well
                as holding more.

                http://www.wild-ideas.net/index2.html

                Re mileage - I'm slow and figure 8 miles a day average, so I am resupplying
                at VVR and at MTR, and also hiking out to independence over Kearsage Pass to
                pick up a resupply there (and also have a zero luxury day).

                Re coming from Ohio - likely by the time you're past VVR, you'll be well
                acclimatized and have your trail legs. (My trail legs never run to 15 miles
                per day though, sadly). I'm departing Tuolumne Meadows on July 19, and
                hiking out from Whitney around Aug 15, so maybe see you there! Barbara

                _____

                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Heading north to south, we've only resupplied at Vermilion. So, we had to
                  head south from Vermilion with 9 days of food and one bear canister.
                  Ouch. We carry some extra food outside the bear canister. Two bear
                  canisters is just not an option. Too heavy.

                  We covered closer to 15-17 miles per day. There are some days when you have
                  to go over two passes in one day or you'll get stuck in no man's land.
                  Also, I've always found that during the second week we get super hungry
                  since our metabolism is fully kicked in. But, you feel much stronger after
                  a week of trail shock and can fly along the trail. It's frustrating to
                  have to resupply so early, since Vermilion is only about 5 days from
                  Yosemite. I would consider the Trail Ranch and Reds Meadow next time. Two
                  resupplies for the whole trip would be ideal. That 9 day southern stretch
                  to Whitney is pretty remote.

                  Also, its really important to have highly nutritious food. We carry corn
                  pasta and whole wheat cous-cous/bean soups, salami, salty cheese, etc. We
                  met lots of people trying to cover long distances on worthless foods like
                  oatmeal and regular spaghetti. They were suffering and couldn't sustain a
                  good 8 hours of hiking per day.

                  Dave Sloan

                  Dave Sloan

                • jim.ennis
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                    Bob:
                    Remember that by the time you reach Muir Ranch, you'll already have a
                    week or more under your belt and should have long since acclimated to
                    the elevations. If you keep your meals calorie-packed, but light, and
                    repackage all items to their smallest size, you should be able to pack
                    10+ days worth of food in your canister. You should be able to
                    maintain your 15-mile days by this point and therefore you would
                    finish on the seventh day out of Muir Ranch.
                    Jim

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bgibson <doyle6767@...> wrote:

                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > I'm planning a solo JMT hike north to south in late June or early
                    July, starting in Yosemite. I've been poring over Elizabeth Wenk's
                    John Muir Trail and I'm really looking forward to the trip.  But I'm a
                    bit uncertain in a couple of areas and thought I'd toss out a question
                    to the experts on this list who keep giving lots of good advice based
                    on their experiences on the trail.

                    > I'm looking at the distances in the book that show mileage from the
                    Muir Trail Ranch to Whitney Portal as 111 miles, with no easy
                    access along the trail to resupply in those sections.  I'd rather not
                    hike out for resupplies, then hike back in and take two to three days
                    to do that.

                    > I'm planning to buy a bear canister, and in looking over the specs,
                    most indicate they have space  a six to seven day supply of food.
                    Assuming I carry one day's food outside the canister, I'd be able to
                    plan for a seven to eight days of meals.  But I'm not sure how
                    feasible it would be for someone living in Ohio to keep up a 14 to 15
                    mile-a-day pace over the last 100 or so miles at that altitude.  I
                    don't know whether to just plan for an expensive resupply along the
                    way, or buy the larger bear vault.  I have done that sort of pace over
                    the AT, but those mountains are not nearly as high.

                    > So my question to those who did the last 100 plus miles without
                    resupply -- what kind of pace did you maintain, and were you able to
                    pack enough food into your bear canister.

                    > Or, should I just make the trip out for supplies a part of my
                    planning and enjoy the side trail, which from what I've read will be
                    wonderful also.

                    > thanks,
                    >
                    > Bob

                  • Ima Person
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                      Hi Bob,  Last year I hiked the JMT north to south during the timeframe you are talking about, starting on June 24, ending July 7.  Resupplied once at Vermillion.  I found it to be a tight pack in my Garcia bear can for the days between Vermillion and Whitney Portal but doable.   I do, however, probably eat a bit light in comparison to other people so you have to plan for your own needs.  I eat "worthless foods" like oatmeal and freeze dried spaghetti and found them nutritionally adequate.  Getting the bigger can would make the packing less stressful for sure, without a huge increase in weight and maybe allow for a bit of reserve.   For me, going out to civilization to resupply was not appealing at all.

                      You should get stronger as you go along so don't discount that in regards to the mileage you will be capable of doing during the second part of your trip.  I will admit, the 14-16 mile days I did during the beginning part were tough, more due to altitude adjustment than anything else.  Snow was not a problem, but it is unpredictable.  Last minute weather systems can dump a pile and make your life very difficult but thats the mountains.  If the current drought continues, high elevation snow may not be an issue.  Last year, I really didn't feel confidant of the snow situation until about 3 weeks before I started.  I kept in touch with several PCT hikers who were doing trail reports as they moved north.  These reports were invaluable.

                      The post recommending creating a "test" can would be a great way to determine where you stand with respect to supplies.

                      Al

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                        Thanks to all for your answers.

                        I think I'll take the advice and wait until July to get started.  I can't push my finish date too far into August. I like the looks and specs on the bearkaide, but the cost is a bit up there and if I rent, I'd still be reaching close to a purchase price by counting transportation time for me (unless one can have it delivered to a starting point). I think, though this may change, I'm going to drive out and leave the vehicle at Whitney Portal.  I want to see some relatives in Denver, and though I like the idea of Amtrak, my experience has been that their estimated time is off considerably, especially out West.

                        I'm leaning toward just hiking out for supplies, and just count the journey there and back as part of my trip and enjoy the hike.

                        I probably see just how much good food I can cram into a canister and make more plans from there.

                        As I continue planning, I'll probably post more questions since the responses were so quick and helpful.

                        Thanks again, and hope to see some of you on the trail in July.

                        Bob

                        ---

                      • richfax
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                          Bob, last year we went from Tuolumne to Whitney Portal in less than 13 days (average of 15 miles/day) with one resupply at Muir Trail Ranch.  We were able to get 7 days of food to fit in a BearVault BV500, but more than that would be problematic.   We ate dry granola for breakfast, Clifbars for lunch and a Mountain House ProPak for dinner along with snacks in between. I'm glad we didn't bring more food because we just weren't that hungry and had a hard time eating all of our food.  We're from Texas at 60 feet elevation and did it, so being from Ohio shouldn't be an issue..

                          Rich

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                            Bob,
                            I hiked the JMT last August with a small group and we took 10 days from MTR to WP. I used a Bear Vault BV500 and got all my food and smellies in it. Repackage everything down to as small as possible. For breakfast I did eat oatmeal, powerbar, and coffee. Lunches were granola bars, salmon, tuna fish, chicken, beef jerky, dried fruit, etc. Dinners were repackaged dehydrated 2 person meals. There is fish that can be caught along the way to help supplement dinners too. My group really did not have any problems carrying everything we needed during those 10 days in Bear Vaults.
                            Good luck, Dave

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                              Bob,
                              You can easily fit 10+ days of food in a garcia or a BV 500. Although to do so you must pack smart. I ate highest possible calorie granola with 2 tablespoons of protein powder for breakfast each day. 2 or 3 clif bars for lunch, nuts and dried fruit for a snack and 3/4 cup small pasta (orzo or cous cous) with beef jerky for dinner. My food was spartan, but I ate for 15 days out of one BV 500. Make sure you pig out at any eateries along the way: VVR, Reds, TM. People often overestimate how much food they will eat or need, try to avoid this. good luck.
                              Matt

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                                I as already leaning toward the BV500, and the comments I've received so far confirm my choice.

                                ____________ _________ _________ __

                              • song95139@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 4, 2009
                                  Bob,

                                  I hiked the whole JMT from YV to Mt Whitney in 17 days.  Within the 17 days, I had 1.5 days total worth of time not hiking.  Those time were spent on doing laundry at resorts, packing resupply, and pigging at resorts.

                                  I carried a BV500.  Resupplying only at MTR to complete the southern half of JMT, my initial concern was similar to yours.  Can I pack enough food to last the distance?  I made it with easilly and with food left to spare.  I even ate one of my dinner for lunch.

                                  After about 3 days of hiking, I got use to a certain pace or 10-12 miles of hiking.  After 7 days of hiking, I was confortable with 15 miles a day. I got stronger and felt more comfortable hiking.

                                  To answer your question, it can be done with a BV500.  I repacked my dehydrated food in a zip lock bag for easy packing at MTR.  I wrote down the meal and the water ratio needed with a sharpie on the zip lock.

                                  My daily meals are oatmeal and coffee for breakfast, nuts, dried fruits, and jerky for lunch, and dehydrated meals for dinner.  Drink sweetner and assortment of cereal bars for snacks.

                                  Enjoy planning and enjoy you hike..

                                  Sim

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 5, 2009
                                    This topic came up recently on the pct-l forum. I don't think Ken Powers
                                    would mind if I reposted his post on the subject. KM is Kennedy Meadows,
                                    which is south of Mt. Whitney:

                                    Okay Ken, "fess up", what did you guys do on your last thru the Sierra?
                                    Please...

                                    Ok, I was asked.
                                    We planned for 10 days from KM to VVR. We carried the first 2+ days outside
                                    the Garcia canister. I think we entered the restricted zone with some bars
                                    and maybe part of a bag of potato chips outside the canister, plus that
                                    nights meal. Not much as I recall.

                                    We removed all the packaging that we could from the food. We smashed the
                                    food into the canister at home and mailed it to KM. When loading the
                                    canister we try to keep food we need the first few days higher in the
                                    canister. We do not want to unload any food and have to put it back in the
                                    canister. We don't plan on carrying as many calories as we burn in the high
                                    sierra or other long carries. But we eat well when we arrive at a re-supply.

                                    Here's what I remember about our food:

                                    Dinners - Packed dehydrated black beans in one of those grocery store
                                    vegetable bags. Packed instant brown rice and dehydrated salsa in another
                                    vegetable bag. We measured both out for 10 days. We had hot chocolate
                                    (dumped the contents out of the packets into another bag)

                                    Lunches - We carried 2 packages of 8-inch tortillas. One at the bottom of
                                    the canister and the other high so we could easily get it out. Must have had
                                    2 packages of sliced cheese (total 20 slices?). We used Gatorade powder at
                                    half strength for lunch and afternoon snack.

                                    Breakfast was our usual - 2 pop tarts, 1 tea bag and 1 hot chocolate from
                                    the bag above.

                                    Snacks - we carried 2-3 bars per person per day. I think we had a bag of
                                    chips or chex mix that was pretty smashed. We probably ate it with a spoon.

                                    That's it - 8 days food for 2 people in a Garcia.

                                    I carried the Garcia upright in my ULA Circuit. Stuffed clothing and tent
                                    around the canister to help pad it. We arrived at VVR on the morning shuttle
                                    of our 10th day. Darn, carried that extra food all the way to VVR. We didn't
                                    eat black beans and brown rice for a few days after VVR.

                                    Ken
                                    www GottaWalk com

                                    --
                                    Ralph Alcorn
                                    http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html

                                  • Sheri
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 2, 2013
                                      Hi folks,

                                      I just was able to get real time off in July. Obviously, I don't have a permit for the JMT and am hoping to secure one of the first come permits. I'm coming from Arizona and want to be pretty sure to get one. Any suggestions on how early I should be at the Wilderness Center? However early I need, I will be there. Thoughts?

                                      many thanks,

                                      craig
                                    • robert shattuck
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 2, 2013
                                        It's not how early you are willing to show up, but how long you are willing to wait around.

                                        I've shown up many a time after one in the afternoon and got just the permit I wanted . . . But just in case you don't, make sure your vacation time has some padding of at least 2-3 days, so you won't end up either having to move too fast, or end up bailing.

                                        if you get in line early in the morning, there are two (or so) ways it could go--11a.m rolls around and you get a permit to leave that very afternoon. Or you get a permit to leave the next day. Or . . .you could get no permit at all and end up spending another long night waiting in line for 11 a.m., to roll around.

                                        You also have trailhead quotas, so you have about four options from the valley, none if which will be that much of an inconvenience---they will usually be able to give you some sort of options, " you can leave from happy isles right now, or you can leave from Glacier point in the morning ( or the opposite of this) ..... Ultimately it is just very wise to have the extra days I. Your schedule for whatever inconvenience comes your way.

                                        Bob

                                        Sent from my iPhone

                                        On Jun 2, 2013, at 7:53 PM, "Sheri" <flagstaffbiker@...> wrote:

                                        Hi folks,

                                        I just was able to get real time off in July. Obviously, I don't have a permit for the JMT and am hoping to secure one of the first come permits. I'm coming from Arizona and want to be pretty sure to get one. Any suggestions on how early I should be at the Wilderness Center? However early I need, I will be there. Thoughts?

                                        many thanks,

                                        craig

                                      • casey
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                                          If you aren't a Purist and don't mind missing the H.I. to Toulumne Mdws. portion of the trail (do it later as a separate hike?) and want to get a permit in advance. Permits for a start from Virginia Lakes are probably still available from the Forest Service office in Bridgeport. Virgina Lakes in on the north border of Yosemite, 24 trail miles from Toulumne Meadows, and is accessed from Highway 395 north of Lee Vining. This would allow you to plan your trip knowing your starting date and trail head.

                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 3, 2013
                                            _

                                          • treeve17
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                                              Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
                                            • cjoslyn99
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                                                If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                                                especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                                                container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                                                bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                                                it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 21, 2013
                                                  I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in marginal packaging, but both of those should work.

                                                  John L

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
                                                    Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

                                                    > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
                                                    > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
                                                    > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
                                                    >
                                                    > John L
                                                    >
                                                    > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    > > **
                                                    > >

                                                    > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                                                    > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                                                    > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                                                    > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                                                    > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
                                                    > >

                                                    > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
                                                    > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
                                                    > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
                                                    > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
                                                    > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
                                                    > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
                                                    > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
                                                    > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
                                                    > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

                                                  • Don Amundson
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 22, 2013
                                                      Try Minimus.com   I've always used the .5 oz packets and just put one in each of my individual plastic dinner bags.  Minimus also carries small  plastic bottles of olive oil.

                                                      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                                      From: treeve17@...
                                                      Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:31:52 +0000
                                                      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

                                                      Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

                                                      > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
                                                      > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
                                                      > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
                                                      >
                                                      > John L
                                                      >
                                                      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > > **
                                                      > >

                                                      > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
                                                      > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
                                                      > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
                                                      > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
                                                      > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
                                                      > >

                                                      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
                                                      > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
                                                      > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
                                                      > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
                                                      > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
                                                      > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
                                                      > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
                                                      > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
                                                      > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

                                                    • Byron Nevins
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                                                        You must mean minimus.biz not minimus.com

                                                      • ravi_jmt2013
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                                                          Regarding olive oil leakage, I found that a 8 ounce Nalgene from REI is very solid in terms of preventing leaks. However, the weight of the Nalgene is 1.35 ounces which reduces the calories per ounce from 250 gross to 214 net for 8 ounces of olive oil. Still not bad but for the JMT I am going to use a larger Nalgene. The 16 ounce Nalgene is probably not twice the weight of the 8 ounce so there will be less of a penalty with the added volume.

                                                          To be extra safe I pack the Nalgene wrapped with absorbent paper (paper shop towels available at any auto parts store) and put it into a quart size ziplock.

                                                          This is the 8 ounce I currently use:

                                                          http://www.rei.com/product/402054/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-8-fl-oz
                                                        • Chris
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 23, 2013
                                                            treeve17:

                                                            Did you see cjoslyn99's suggestion of using a 20oz plastic soda (Mtn Dew) bottle? Seems like the caps on those soda bottles have a better rubber seal than what you see on a plastic water bottle... they're designed to hold pressurized carbonated beverages. Also, I think they're lighter than any bottle you'd purchase, and disposable or recyclable, which is something you wanted. I'm persuaded.

                                                            Chris.