RE: [John Muir Trail] Bishop Pass Trail

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      I have a Bishops Pass area map and according to that it is 13.7miles. I
      hiked it last summer, and the switchbacks from the JMT up to lower Dusy
      Basin go on forever! The lower section is the worst because hot and not
      much shade, then you get close to water. Then some forest. There's a
      perfect campsite at a smidgeon below 10,000, to the right of the trail as
      you ascend - close to water and you can have a fire and it has a fire ring.
      Dusy Basin is a stroll gently uphill, great camping. The pass is a cinch
      after that. Then easy enough downhill with numerous places to camp between
      there and South lake. Just watch out as you go thru the rockfall area on
      the north side of the pass. Enjoy! Barbara

      _____