RE: RE: Equipment review from JMT

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 25, 2013

       Using sticks along with rocks to secure the guylines is a good idea. I have some abrasion on the guylines from rocks and plan to replace them before my next trip.  Your idea could eliminate the risk of breaking a line on the trail.

      Overall the Hexamid Twin was a great choice for me as a solo shelter.  It provides plenty of room for me and all of my gear in a compact 20 ounce package. I have 25 nights in it this year including the JMT and other trips since May and expect it to last several more seasons.

      I do regret not cowboy camping at least a few times ....I got a filtered view of the stars several times through the cuben tarp material and did get up a few nights to look at the stars. I also got a view of th stars on my night hike from Crabtree to Mt Whitney.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I used a Hexamid Twin on my recent JMT.   I've tried both, and there's no difference between the "Twin" and the "Solo Plus" in ease of pitching.  They have the same (large) footprint, but the raised rear ceiling makes the Twin feel more spacious.

      I really don't agree that you need a freestanding tent on the JMT.   Nor do you need one in the Grand Canyon, where there's almost nowhere that you can use stakes.   I'm not sure exactly what people are doing that's causing them problems....  tying directly to rocks is really awkward, don't do that.  I have loops at the end of my lines that are big enough that I can push a stick through.  The stick then lays flat on the ground, and I put two rocks, one on each side of the stick.   Easy to get very secure, easy to move around to adjust tension, no abrasion of the lines.  The only requirement is to have a little anticipation to pick up a few suitable sticks on the way if you're going into really bare terrain well above the treeline.

      The only limiting factor in site selection for me was the large size of the Hexamid...  but, well, it's not the TARDIS -- it's also great to have a lot of space in your tent to loll around and spread your stuff out.  Especially if it pours with rain.

      Funnily enough, I also have a Big Agnes Copper Spur, same as the OP.   One of the best free standing tents imo, but twice the weight of the Hexamid and much smaller inside.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <ravi@...> wrote:

      The large footprint required for the Hexamid was about the only thing that I didn't like during the hike.  I definitely had to pass up a number of sites where a small freestanding one person tent could have fit in easily.  I went into the trip thinking that I would be open to sleeping out in the open in such situations (assuming good weather) but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to move beyond the (false) sense of security that comes from being inside an enclosed shelter.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      That's a good point about footprint size. I know what you mean about the TT designs and fitting them into some of the cozier Sierra tent sites. On the other hand, a 'mid can be used in conjunction with a groundsheet. In that case all you really need is a bivy sized spot to lay down. The tent part can be pitched over very irregular ground where a freestanding tent wouldn't work.

      My usual two person summer tent is freestanding and weighs 3.5 lbs (4 lbs with vestibule). I accept the weight penalty in exchange for some of the benefits you mentioned. But I could save about 2 lbs if I bought a different tent.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      free standing comes with a weight penalty.

      Often true. Depends a bit on what 2 tents you are comparing. For me, the weight penalty between my hooped bivy and my nominal 2-man freestanding is worth it on some trips but not others. All things considered, I took the BD Firstlight on my most recent trip and felt it was worth the added weight.

      Another factor to consider is footprint size. More of the virgin and near-virgin sites will accommodate smaller footprint shelters but not larger footprint ones. Some of the very lightweight tents (not all) have pretty big footprints and I once hiked with a guy with a Henry Shires shelter that really restricted our campsite selection and caused us to gravitate to overdeveloped sites in preference to less developed ones due to my hiking partner's need for a pretty big and flat cleared tentpad to properly accommodate his shelter. I also think the the inflatable mattresses (e.g., the Expeds and the NeoAirs) is that you can just plop them down (with a groundsheet or sturdy shelter floor) ground with a lot of small debris and not feel it all night. Some of the lighter closed cell pads seem to require more careful debris clearance as they just turn sharp bumps into rounded ones while the inflatables make the small bumps disappear..

    • johndittli
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 26, 2013

        I bivy regularly until ~December or January in a drought (in the Sierra) and then again in starting in April. From my experience my bag gets damp (usually frozen) inside my bivisack. It's much worse of course if you're inclined to sleep with your head in.

        I do have an older 3 layer gortex bivy that has a soft fleece like "hand" on the inside. This seems to reduce the condensation a bit. Either way, I try and spend a half hour or more in the sun warming up and drying out.

        JD

        see book here

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        On recent bit of the Sierra High route from Lake Italy to Purple lake,
        slept mostly "cowboy style" with temps consistently below freezing. THe
        outside of my bag was always a bit crispy, but loft still held up pretty
        well (Katabatic quilt). Does anyone have experience with a lightweight
        bivy for this purpose? Does it have enough of a micro-climate to reduce
        condensation within the bag when you are below the dew point? I just
        love sleeping outside.....