Re: John Muir Trail trip report and photos (part 6 of 6), July 2008

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
      The friend who really got me started by saying he wanted to go to Mt.
      Whitney died about twenty years ago. When he was sick I visited him
      and we looked at all the pictures I had taken over the previous twenty
      years, a long two days to see. He said he wanted to make another trip
      as he hadn't been able to go with me for such a long time. The first
      trip that came to mind was South Lk to Florence Lk, LeConte/Evolution.
      To me that was the crown jewel of Kings Canyon if not the whole JMT.
      There is something so peaceful about Evolution that I love. That is
      where I want my ashes tossed.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, akunkle99 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!
      >
      > Either this part, or Kings Canyon NP, was my favorite. That's a
      > tough call though - both were fantastic.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I love the trip reports and pictures. This last section is likely
      > my
      > > favorite since I've spent so much time there. My second trip was
      > over
      > > Trail Crest and into Crabtree Mdw. then back to the Summit of Mt.
      > > Whitney. Later that summer, September, was to Crabtree Lks. Those
      > > trips hooked me on backpacking. Over the years I've done many areas
      > > but none so much as the Kern. We've been in the upper basin lakes
      > and
      > > come in over all the passes from Forester to Cottonwood. An October
      > > trip down the Kern River is in a five way tie for first place. When
      > > Gary and I finished JMT in a two week trip he looked south from
      > > Forester Pass and said "Ahh My Kern". I understood and wished he
      > had
      > > ben able to explore it as much as I had.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, akunkle99 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The final installment of the trip report from our July thru-hike
      > of
      > > > the John Muir Trail is now posted. This segment takes us through
      > > > Sequoia National Park to the summit of Mount Whitney. The trip
      > report
      > > > can be viewed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_6.html
      > > >
      > > > Photos can be viewed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157610520445870/
      > > >
      > > > If you missed some of the other installments, my personal
      > favorite
      > > > photos from the whole trip can be found here:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157611409959237/
      > > >
      > > > The entire series of trip reports and photos can be accessed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html
      > > >

      > > > Andy & Christy
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/

    • akunkle99
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
        I think Evolution Basin is the area I'd most want to visit again on a
        future trip. That and the High Sierra Loop in Sequoia NP are at the
        top of my list.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
          There is plenty to like about the HS Trail. I've been over the entire
          length but not in one trip. The view from Bearpaw is really striking.
          I had gone from Crescent Mdw to Big Arroyo and back out over Black
          Rock Pass then out to Hospital Rock. When the time came for me to
          take the last backpack trip with my friend Gary, begore we both
          retired and moved elsewhere, HST was the top of the list. We only
          went as far as Bearpaw then down to Redwood Mdw and out. I was afraid
          his arthritis would would not take the whole loop but I'm sure he
          would enjoy seeing Whitney from Black Rock Pass as much as I did. We
          had looked that way from Whitney several times.