RE: RE: Re: Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: RE: Equipment review from JMT

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 25, 2013

      The large footprint required for the Hexamid was about the only thing that I didn't like during the hike.  I definitely had to pass up a number of sites where a small freestanding one person tent could have fit in easily.  I went into the trip thinking that I would be open to sleeping out in the open in such situations (assuming good weather) but for whatever reason, I haven't been able to move beyond the (false) sense of security that comes from being inside an enclosed shelter.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      That's a good point about footprint size. I know what you mean about the TT designs and fitting them into some of the cozier Sierra tent sites. On the other hand, a 'mid can be used in conjunction with a groundsheet. In that case all you really need is a bivy sized spot to lay down. The tent part can be pitched over very irregular ground where a freestanding tent wouldn't work.

      My usual two person summer tent is freestanding and weighs 3.5 lbs (4 lbs with vestibule). I accept the weight penalty in exchange for some of the benefits you mentioned. But I could save about 2 lbs if I bought a different tent.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM, longritchie <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      free standing comes with a weight penalty.

      Often true. Depends a bit on what 2 tents you are comparing. For me, the weight penalty between my hooped bivy and my nominal 2-man freestanding is worth it on some trips but not others. All things considered, I took the BD Firstlight on my most recent trip and felt it was worth the added weight.

      Another factor to consider is footprint size. More of the virgin and near-virgin sites will accommodate smaller footprint shelters but not larger footprint ones. Some of the very lightweight tents (not all) have pretty big footprints and I once hiked with a guy with a Henry Shires shelter that really restricted our campsite selection and caused us to gravitate to overdeveloped sites in preference to less developed ones due to my hiking partner's need for a pretty big and flat cleared tentpad to properly accommodate his shelter. I also think the the inflatable mattresses (e.g., the Expeds and the NeoAirs) is that you can just plop them down (with a groundsheet or sturdy shelter floor) ground with a lot of small debris and not feel it all night. Some of the lighter closed cell pads seem to require more careful debris clearance as they just turn sharp bumps into rounded ones while the inflatables make the small bumps disappear..

    • johndittli
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 26, 2013

        I bivy regularly until ~December or January in a drought (in the Sierra) and then again in starting in April. From my experience my bag gets damp (usually frozen) inside my bivisack. It's much worse of course if you're inclined to sleep with your head in.

        I do have an older 3 layer gortex bivy that has a soft fleece like "hand" on the inside. This seems to reduce the condensation a bit. Either way, I try and spend a half hour or more in the sun warming up and drying out.

        JD

        see book here

        ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        On recent bit of the Sierra High route from Lake Italy to Purple lake,
        slept mostly "cowboy style" with temps consistently below freezing. THe
        outside of my bag was always a bit crispy, but loft still held up pretty
        well (Katabatic quilt). Does anyone have experience with a lightweight
        bivy for this purpose? Does it have enough of a micro-climate to reduce
        condensation within the bag when you are below the dew point? I just
        love sleeping outside.....