Bishop Pass Trail

  • djb999999
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
      I have seen several different distances for the Bishop Pass Trail from
      the junction with the JMT to South Lake. Can anybody shed light on the
      true distance? Thanks.
    • Barbara Karagosian
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        I have a Bishops Pass area map and according to that it is 13.7miles. I
        hiked it last summer, and the switchbacks from the JMT up to lower Dusy
        Basin go on forever! The lower section is the worst because hot and not
        much shade, then you get close to water. Then some forest. There's a
        perfect campsite at a smidgeon below 10,000, to the right of the trail as
        you ascend - close to water and you can have a fire and it has a fire ring.
        Dusy Basin is a stroll gently uphill, great camping. The pass is a cinch
        after that. Then easy enough downhill with numerous places to camp between
        there and South lake. Just watch out as you go thru the rockfall area on
        the north side of the pass. Enjoy! Barbara

        _____