Re: John Muir Trail trip report and photos (part 6 of 6), July 2008

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2009
      I love the trip reports and pictures. This last section is likely my
      favorite since I've spent so much time there. My second trip was over
      Trail Crest and into Crabtree Mdw. then back to the Summit of Mt.
      Whitney. Later that summer, September, was to Crabtree Lks. Those
      trips hooked me on backpacking. Over the years I've done many areas
      but none so much as the Kern. We've been in the upper basin lakes and
      come in over all the passes from Forester to Cottonwood. An October
      trip down the Kern River is in a five way tie for first place. When
      Gary and I finished JMT in a two week trip he looked south from
      Forester Pass and said "Ahh My Kern". I understood and wished he had
      ben able to explore it as much as I had.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, akunkle99 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > The final installment of the trip report from our July thru-hike of
      > the John Muir Trail is now posted. This segment takes us through
      > Sequoia National Park to the summit of Mount Whitney. The trip report
      > can be viewed at:
      >
      > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_6.html
      >
      > Photos can be viewed at:
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157610520445870/
      >
      > If you missed some of the other installments, my personal favorite
      > photos from the whole trip can be found here:
      >
      > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157611409959237/
      >
      > The entire series of trip reports and photos can be accessed at:
      >
      > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html
      >

      > Andy & Christy
      > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/

    • akunkle99
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
        Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!

        Either this part, or Kings Canyon NP, was my favorite. That's a
        tough call though - both were fantastic.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
          The friend who really got me started by saying he wanted to go to Mt.
          Whitney died about twenty years ago. When he was sick I visited him
          and we looked at all the pictures I had taken over the previous twenty
          years, a long two days to see. He said he wanted to make another trip
          as he hadn't been able to go with me for such a long time. The first
          trip that came to mind was South Lk to Florence Lk, LeConte/Evolution.
          To me that was the crown jewel of Kings Canyon if not the whole JMT.
          There is something so peaceful about Evolution that I love. That is
          where I want my ashes tossed.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
            I think Evolution Basin is the area I'd most want to visit again on a
            future trip. That and the High Sierra Loop in Sequoia NP are at the
            top of my list.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2009
              There is plenty to like about the HS Trail. I've been over the entire
              length but not in one trip. The view from Bearpaw is really striking.
              I had gone from Crescent Mdw to Big Arroyo and back out over Black
              Rock Pass then out to Hospital Rock. When the time came for me to
              take the last backpack trip with my friend Gary, begore we both
              retired and moved elsewhere, HST was the top of the list. We only
              went as far as Bearpaw then down to Redwood Mdw and out. I was afraid
              his arthritis would would not take the whole loop but I'm sure he
              would enjoy seeing Whitney from Black Rock Pass as much as I did. We
              had looked that way from Whitney several times.