Re: Is Mid-September too late to start?

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dmwenstrup" <dmwenstrup@...> wrote:

      > Hmdsierra -
      > If you don't mind, I have a few questions regarding when you went
      > at the beginning of September:

      > 1) Were the resorts closed already?

      I don't know. We did not resupply and the resorts are north of where
      we started, South Lake. When we did the whole trail in '82 our only
      resupply was at Red's Mdw. We had intended on no more stops after
      that. When my friend dropped out my son and I took two weeks of food
      with the idea that my friend would rejoin us at Vidette Mdw. His knee
      was still bothering him and he and his wife brought us more than
      enough food to finish the 4 1/2 days we had left but went back out.

      > 2) What kind of daytime and nighttime temperatures did you
      > experience?

      Days are very comfortable even in October. One late Oct trip was
      about the coldest I've had and daytime temps were 50 t0 55 F.
      Nighttime temps are cold enough to freeze some ice on slow moving
      creeks most Octobers. We were at McClure Mdw in mid October and my
      friend commented that it couldn't be Fall because the creek didn't
      freeze over.

      > 3) Would you consider bringing an ice ax during that time?

      No.

      > 4) What was the rating on the bag you brought? Was it warm enough?

      I take an Army down bag in the Fall and have only gotten cold feet one
      night when I was sleeping on a slope that pushed my feet to the
      bottom. The only other time I was the least bit chilly in it was
      Upper Tuolumne Mdw right after a storm. There was a bit of snow and
      puddles had 3/4 inch of ice at 11AM. I wore my coat to bed for the
      only time. Once settled in I was warm but we had arrived when it was
      in the shade and I was chilly until bedtime. That was the trip where
      Rush Ck was frozen over in the morning but I was not even cool there.

      > 5) Anything other special equipment you would suggest for that
      > time of the year?

      I always take a ten but usually sleep out unless the weather is
      raining or snowing. We did use it above timberline for the wind
      protection. I lie the Sierra all seasons but my friend thinks Fall,
      October, is best. I agree with him that it is a great time to be out.
      The trees are changing most years and the air crisp. We almost
      always had good weather. The only time I woke up to a fair amount of
      snow was the first week of October when there is usually a small
      storm. We generally went the second week and missed it. The only
      other time I had anow it waas just enough to barely cover the ground.
      The streams and puddle stayed frozen all the time for most of the
      week but days were 50 to 55.

      Have a good time and be prepared to wait out a small storm or bail out
      if it is really bad. Wish I was going too.

      > Thanks!
      > Kermit
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Let me add that my friend and I finished the south half JMT, South
      > Lk
      > > to Whitney, starting the last few days of Aug and finishing near
      > mid
      > > Sept. Saw a few people, 30 or so until Whitney, and had nice
      > weather
      > > all the time. It was actually warmer at Hitchcock Lks that it was
      > in
      > > Aug of another year. Very cold at night, streams sometimes freeze
      > and
      > > one year the lakes were ecing over.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > It can be iffy so be prepared to wait out a storm or bail out.
      > My
      > > > friend and I made many trips in October, usually the second week
      > but I
      > > > have been out past the 25th. there is usually a small storm the
      > first
      > > > week of October. Almost all our trips were sunny and not too
      > cool
      > > > during the day. One year we met a couple of people doing the
      > whole
      > > > trail while we were in LeConte at Dusy Ck. Pne year another
      > fried and
      > > > I did the Kern river and had one night of snow at Kern Hot
      > Spring.
      > > > Another year I went solo the middle of October and had a very
      > light
      > > > dusting of snow the second night. I came odut to Roads End in
      > Kings
      > > > Canyon and while the sun was shining when I got there by the
      > time my
      > > > wife arrived to get me there was about six inches ow white on the
      > > > ground and still coming down. The snow level was way down into
      > the
      > > > foothills and it rained hard all the way home and continued the
      > next
      > > > day. While I was coming out I met several people going in. At
      > the
      > > > Ranger Station I talked to a guy who was going in with friends
      > and he
      > > > decided to bail.
      > > >
      > > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "dmwenstrup" <dmwenstrup@>

      > I was
      > August.
      > a few
      > head

      > trail
      > I'm

      > giving

    • Bob Bankhead
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
        Kermit:

        Regarding resort closures, here is the info from 2008:

        Reds Mdw Resort closed 30 Sept

        Reds Mdw Shuttle bus service stopped 3 Sept

        Vermillion Valley Resort says hiker supply boxes can be picked up as late as 15 Oct, depending on snow conditions. However, their ferry boat service stops 1 Oct.

        Muir Trail Ranch closed the last week of Sept, and their last PO pickup was 15 Sept.

        Your greatest challenge would be at Onion Valley if you were looking to hitch out to Independence and back. I don't know when the USFS campground at Onion Valley closes. I'm pretty sure the OV Pack Station is closed around Labor Day, if it's even open that late. You'd have to contact Sequoia King Pack Trains at pinecreekps@... or call 760-387-2627 to find out.

        Wandering Bob

      • matt
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2009
          Kermit,

          I finished my hike on October 18, 2008. I used a northface pyxis
          sleeping bag 0 degrees, synthetic. It is a good bag and weights only
          3.5 pounds. I would weigh your wilderness competence before going
          that late or find a partner whom is experienced. I saw only around 20
          people my whole hike after t-meadows. So it is considerably more
          dangerous. That said, bring the right gear and knowledge and it is
          the best time of the year.

          Matt

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bankhead"