To members who live in CA and NV, I'm thinking of moving near to the JMT -- which state to choose?

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19 8:05 AM
      To members who live in CA and NV, I'm thinking of moving near to the JMT -- which state to choose?

      PLEASE REPLY OFFLINE -- NOT TO THIS THREAD.  My apologies to the group for this tangent posting.  If some of you who want to see the replies out of curiosity, email me offline for that -- roleigh@....

      Let me know if I can share your reply with these potential others, if you don't indicate a yes, I will make your reply 100% anonymous (unless you state you don't even want a "scrubbed" reply shared).

      I'm inclined to pick Nevada (either Reno or Carson City) because:

      (1) no state income taxes

      (2) my 401k earnings will not be taxed at the state level when I fully retire (I still work full time now)

      (3) only a few hours away from the JMT, and close to portions of the PCT  and the Tahoe Rim Trail and portions of the Nevada part of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.

      (4) real estate should be cheap because of the crash in recent years there

      (5) It ranks #20 on the states with the best freedom/economic scores versus California which ranks #49.  (Nevada used to rank #4 in 2001 though, bummer that it is going downhill).  http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/nevada

      When you reply, discuss what locality near the city you name you live (or if you could do the move over again where you'd prefer to live), such as a suburb name or close to an intersection (name the two streets) in compass part of the large town.  Let me know if there are nearby high quality food market (health food store, etc, or supermarket with good organic selection), nearby health facility, nearby trails.  Safety of the area.

      The downside to moving to Nevada are the following though:

      Read this piece:

      It's not as close to the JMT as would be Bishop/Mammoth Lakes/Merced/Sacramento.

      Some of the things I like having nearby are not near Reno: (a) top notch prolotherapists--San Francisco seems the best location "nearby", (b) Gyrotonic/Gyrokinesis studio (nearest is Truckee CA); (c) suburb YMCA (only appears to be one downtown YMCA and it's not even recognized at national YMCA website)--but substitutes exist.

      If you live in NV, regardless if Northern or Southern Nevada, please email me offline ( roleigh@... ) if you are happy or not where you are living, whether if you were moving now, if you'd relocate elsewhere in Nevada or move to California.  Indicate how good the hiking is near to you and if there are any hiking clubs you belong to that you recommend.  If you belong to a gym or exercise facility indicate name and how you like it.

      If you used to live in NV but now live in CA, please email me too.

      If you live in CA and think it's the best place to live if moving now, please email me why you think so.  I'm curious about the "other side of the coin" story.  What you read about California makes you nervous about wanting to move there (although being close to the Sierras is obviously a prime reason).

      I want to mention why I want to move. I debated whether it was appropriate to post this paragraph (it probably is not in many minds, but I'm guessing that with a dream as ambitious as mine that only the bold will succeed, so I'm going to be bold and be open here).  I had thought moving to Albany NY which is sandwiched between the Adirondack and Catskill mountains that it would be an ideal place to meet a senior lady who might like to live their older years in a long, slow healthy pace by doing long Sierra hikes each summer (at least JMT length later when we're both retired doing the entire 525 High Sierra section each summer), but the weather in the NE is so atrociously malicious that nearly 99.9% of the female hikers I've met in the NE only think of day hiking and that only masochists (yes I know many do the AT, they have high levels of water tolerance--way more than the average JMT hiker I bet) would think of doing overnight, many days of overnight hiking.  Yet in the Sierras, it's nothing to go 3-4 weeks without encountering any masochistic bad-weather nights.  Heck, when it rains in upstate NY, in 3 hours you can get as much rain as one would get in 5 weeks of Sierra hiking.  After living in upstate NY for nearly 3 years now, I'm pessimistic about my chances here.  I like the East coast because I'm a telecommuter database analyst who doesn't have to start work until 10am (because the folks I work with start work at 9am in Minnesota), enabling me to work out at the YMCA 2.5 hours a morning 3 days a week and staying in good shape to do my annual JMT hike.  If I do move to NV or CA I'll have to shift to starting work very early in the morning and taking a 2 hour lunch 3 days a week to do my 3 times a week workout at noontime.  There is no way I can adjust to evening workouts as one is too tired at the end of a day's work.  Too many excuses to dream up then.  So I think to follow my dream I'm going to have to move closer to the Sierras where ladies I meet are familiar with the fabulous Sierra weather in the summer.

      Thanks for your reply (offline again, please).  If a lot of people indicate interest (offline again), I'll put the scrubbed (and okayed) consolidated responses together into a PDF and upload as a file.

      Roleigh

      _

    • rwilly001