RE: Sierras in for a big winter?

  • johndittli
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2013

      Here ya go; "La Nada likely to continue thru Spring 2014". That pretty much means "anything goes" for this winter!  http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=82041&src=eoa-iotd

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johndittli@...> wrote:

      And yes, it can, and has, gotten a lot drier in the the not so distant past. Unfortunately for the west, most of the water development was allocated on the heals of the Little Ice Age when precip and associated runoff was likely on the higher side of mean.

      Time will tell.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <pburke@...> wrote:

      trees are turning to fall colors early most likely because they are stressed and dryer than normal this time of year. I saw sings of fall in August at higher elevations. Dry plants, a few cold nights, you got early fall. Has nothing to do with a big winter. Cold does not equal lots of precip.

      In fact, I recently read that the actual "average precip" all California math is based on was established during a period that was unusually wet. It may be much more normal to be dryer than what is considered normal now.

      take a look at this article for a possibly alarming discovery, one that means it can get a lot dryer than it is now: