For a lady JMT thru-hiker, what skirt do you recommend (that holds up)?

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2013
      Hi,

      A lady hiker friend of mine wants to know what is a good hiking skirt for ladies that holds up to the rigors of a JMT hike?  I know from experience that most men hiking pants do not hold up well on a JMT, I've switched to Rail Riders and they're bullet proof, but Rail Riders does not make a hiking skirt.  Think there is any hiking skirt whose material is similarly as tough?

      Thanks!
      Roleigh
      _

    • wildtowner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2013

        > Hi,
        >
        > A lady hiker friend of mine wants to know what is a good hiking skirt for
        > ladies that holds up to the rigors of a JMT hike? I know from experience
        > that most men hiking pants do not hold up well on a JMT, I've switched to
        > Rail Riders and they're bullet proof, but Rail Riders does not make a
        > hiking skirt. Think there is any hiking skirt whose material is similarly
        > as tough?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Roleigh
        > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
        > _

        Roleigh,

        Heather "Anish" Anderson, who recently broke the speed record for hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail, wore only poly/cotton sundresses she bought at a thrift store, and she said they were great to hike in! So despite all the advertising from major manufacturers, any skirt your friend likes wearing will do, especially considering that the JMT is VERY well graded/constructed, and it's never necessary to slide on one's rear end anywhere on the trail.
      • victoriamaki
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 18, 2013
          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "wildtowner" wrote:

          > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin roleigh@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > A lady hiker friend of mine wants to know what is a good hiking
          skirt for
          > > ladies that holds up to the rigors of a JMT hike? I know from
          experience
          > > that most men hiking pants do not hold up well on a JMT, I've
          switched to
          > > Rail Riders and they're bullet proof, but Rail Riders does not make
          > > hiking skirt. Think there is any hiking skirt whose material is
          similarly
          > > as tough?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > Roleigh
          > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
          > > links)
          > > _
          > >
          > Roleigh,
          >
          > Heather "Anish" Anderson, who recently broke the speed record for
          hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail, wore only poly/cotton sundresses
          she bought at a thrift store, and she said they were great to hike in!
          So despite all the advertising from major manufacturers, any skirt your
          friend likes wearing will do, especially considering that the JMT is
          VERY well graded/constructed, and it's never necessary to slide on one's
          rear end anywhere on the trail.
          >Hi wildtowner. I am the hiker Roleigh was talking about. Thanks for
          the info. I have hiked with Roleigh and his group 2 times. I would
          like to hike again with him in 2014. I just remember how hot it was
          hiking in California and thought a skirt might solve a few problems.