Re: Hiking the JMT in October

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 16, 2013
      I guess that would be a problem;)! No worries, hopefully you get out in Oct.!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Burke" <pburke@...> wrote:

      > I'm 2000 miles away from the Lone Pine Ranger Station, so even if I wanted to hop over and grab a permit to do a short northbound, it's not going to happen unless I get all my ducks in a row and plan a 3 week absence from work (pesky nuisance). Can't be there 1pm tomorrow, sorry.
      >
      > October definitely means many hours hiking with headlamp and/or moon light.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Peter, I'll be hitting the trail at Whitney Portal around 1:00PM tomorrow for one last getaway, pack your gear up and lets rock a quick trip. I was going to do a fastpack of the whole trail, but with the lack of daylight hours in which to hike without using a headlamp, I'm opting for a 2-3 night trip starting at WP and going out over Kearsarge Pass. Guitar Lake is calling my name for some rock jumpin' and swimming!
      > >
      > > Whitney Permits are pretty easy to score right now as they are reporting a lot of no-shows, and havent been turning people away according to the ranger I spoke with.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Burke" <pburke@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I only show up randomly over here - stopped getting the direct emails a long time ago, and now read web only. When I connected here last week this yahoo thing put me on a new page and asked me to enter a big field about my "location" - so I didn't tell them and it immediately took that entry as my new name here. So much for user interface testing :-)
      > > >
      > > > Let's see if it changes it back to a proper name this time around.
      > > >
      > > > As for back - yeah, for now, but I sure wish I could turn around and hit the trail one more time this year. I'm actually contemplating it pretty seriously.

    • kara8sweeney
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013
        If weather looks bad, I probably won't do the JMT. Any other recommendations for about a 200-mile hike in October, not too far from the Bay Area? I did the PCT last year, so I'm thinking maybe something different.... and something at a lower elevation so it's not so cold.... Recommendations greatly appreciated!
        Thanks for all the input!
        Kara

        > I guess that would be a problem;)! No worries, hopefully you get out in Oct.!
        >
        > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Burke" <pburke@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm 2000 miles away from the Lone Pine Ranger Station, so even if I wanted to hop over and grab a permit to do a short northbound, it's not going to happen unless I get all my ducks in a row and plan a 3 week absence from work (pesky nuisance). Can't be there 1pm tomorrow, sorry.
        > >
        > > October definitely means many hours hiking with headlamp and/or moon light.
        > >

        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hey Peter, I'll be hitting the trail at Whitney Portal around 1:00PM tomorrow for one last getaway, pack your gear up and lets rock a quick trip. I was going to do a fastpack of the whole trail, but with the lack of daylight hours in which to hike without using a headlamp, I'm opting for a 2-3 night trip starting at WP and going out over Kearsarge Pass. Guitar Lake is calling my name for some rock jumpin' and swimming!
        > > >
        > > > Whitney Permits are pretty easy to score right now as they are reporting a lot of no-shows, and havent been turning people away according to the ranger I spoke with.

      • Bill Hegardt
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013
          Here's one idea that occurred to me because it was mentioned on this forum a while back (I think). SF to Yosemite:
          Not exactly a back country experience though.

          - Bill

        • outhiking_55
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013

            You won't be able to do 200 miles, but don't forget about Henry Coe State park and the Ostrembra Wilderness east of Morgan Hill. You'd want to check on the water situation first. I've had some great wildlife experiences there. From one point you can see Half Dome if you're there early in the morning before the haze builds in the Central Valley. You could also do the Lost Coast, or the Snow Mountain Wilderness.

            Kim