Re: section hiking JMT

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
      Go from reds south over silver pass and then take the mono creek trail out to mosquito flats, then thumb down to bishop.

      Best to hot bishop on a weekday so you can spend the night and catch the morning ESTA bus back to mammoth and your car.

      This would actually only be maybe a four day trip, but sitting around up near silver and checking out all the lakes there, wouldn't be a bad way to spend a day or so.

      Otherwise, just go for it and do the north lake to south lake loop. Probably the finest section of the JMT.

      Bob Shattuck

      Sent from my iPhone
    • craigroche
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 17, 2013

        Thanks Larry, that's a great idea.  I'll go Red's to North Lake (about 70 miles) and what I like about this section is that if I stay out of Devil's Postpile I can take my dog along. It is a sacrifice to not see Evolution Valley, but I've been there several times before, including and challenging exit via Lamarck Col. Perhaps Evolution to Whitney next year!