section hiking JMT

  • craigroche
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
      I'm section hiking the JMT and want to hike another section starting this week. I've done Reds Meadows to Yosemite Valley, so perhaps I pick up at Reds, or I'd consider another section. Specifically I'd like some guidance on logical entry and exit points given I'd like to cover not much more than 60 miles in 7 days.
    • Larry Beck
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
        Maybe the next logical step would be Red's Meadows to Leconte Valley then exit at Bishop Pass. Or, if you wanted it shorter you could exit at Piute Pass but you'd miss Evolution Valley. Logistics wise, both are virtually the same. You could leave a vehicle at South Lake (Bishop Pass) or North Lake (Piute Pass) then drive to Red's Meadows to start your hike.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2013
          Go from reds south over silver pass and then take the mono creek trail out to mosquito flats, then thumb down to bishop.

          Best to hot bishop on a weekday so you can spend the night and catch the morning ESTA bus back to mammoth and your car.

          This would actually only be maybe a four day trip, but sitting around up near silver and checking out all the lakes there, wouldn't be a bad way to spend a day or so.

          Otherwise, just go for it and do the north lake to south lake loop. Probably the finest section of the JMT.

          Bob Shattuck

          Sent from my iPhone
        • craigroche
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 17, 2013

            Thanks Larry, that's a great idea.  I'll go Red's to North Lake (about 70 miles) and what I like about this section is that if I stay out of Devil's Postpile I can take my dog along. It is a sacrifice to not see Evolution Valley, but I've been there several times before, including and challenging exit via Lamarck Col. Perhaps Evolution to Whitney next year!