Re: [John Muir Trail] Food on the JMT

  • John
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 15, 2013
      Well here you go Shawn...

      I apologize for the delay and quality of this video (my first ever YouTube post), but it gives you an idea of how I planned to supply myself solo on the last leg of my JMT trip from MTR to Whitney Portal.  It's actually about 9.5 days of food, which allows for potential trail delays due to storms etc.

      Each Mountain House dinner I show is the "2 Serving" variety re-packaged as one meal.  The Mountain House Breakfast Skillet servings are one MH package split into two meals.  Combined with a tortilla(s), its a filling meal.

      The bulk jerky, dried fruit, tortillas, Nutella, protein powder and olive oil would be rationed throughout the 9 days and added to the meals, usually the mid-day breaks.

      While it's most likely short of 3000 cal/day, I've found that my 44 year old metabolism and 5'10" 175lb frame requires about  2100+ cals per day while on trail.  Please, spare me the scientific formulas that may show otherwise - I know my body.  However, your mileage may vary...

      Like I mentioned many times in this amateur video, I threw this stuff (insert "fast packing" pun here) in the Bearikade with little forethought and in only a few minutes.  You could actually gain more usable space for added calorie-rich foods.

      Here's the link to my video:

      Happy trails,
      John M.

      On Aug 15, 2013, at 5:48 PM, shawn peterson wrote:

      You're on....I'm high brow all the way and a beer snob...I only drink 24 oz PBR's in a can...

      If you can really do this then I needed to see this video two days ago as I literally was standing on the top of my weekender lid to close 7.5 days of food in it.  3,100 calorie average and dense foods.