RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: You can register your dislike or like of the new Yahoo Groups fo

  • Don Amundson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 15, 2013
      No, I'm probably not aware of them because either I don't have them or I never use the features that some say are problamatic.
      Some have mentioned the issue of searching messages.  I do use that function and I see no change from my end.  I can still search by author, title, keywords etc.
      The only issue I have found is that there are some non functioning links and I suspect that is easily corrected.

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:24:11 -0400
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: You can register your dislike or like of the new Yahoo Groups fo

      Anyway, the problems persist -- you probably are not aware of all of them......

      ---------------------------------------

      On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Don <amrowinc@...> wrote:

      Firefox is working fine as is Safari.

      .

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 16, 2013
        Don,

        What OS are you using?  XP?  If not, you're the only known person with the new NEO format who is able to do the advanced find of group messages (where you can specify the search terms must be in the title, or must be the author, etc).  Can you do a screen print of your dialogue, that captures the URL?  I've in communication with hundreds of other Yahoo Group moderators and nobody has figured out how to do an advanced search inside of Yahoo of the conversations.

        Yes, one could use search syntax in Google but that is limited in comparison to how the old advanced search window worked for Yahoo Groups.

        Thanks!

        Roleigh

        _

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 16, 2013
          XP Pro

          To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 16, 2013
            Besides in XP Pro the advanced search works just fine using iOS 7 as I suspect it works for others so, as much as I like the celebrity status, I'm sure you can find others out there using something other than XP who can do an advanced search.

            ---------------------------------

            From: roleigh@...
            Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:01:04 -0400

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 16, 2013
              Subject: Ongoing issues with the new site
              To: Roleigh Martin <marti124@...>

              Roleigh, please post this for me, because I can't!
              -----------------
              Inga, I tried to reply to your message about the search feature working fine for you (all I could see of that message was the truncated abstract), but the first time I opened that thread on my computer I saw several messages with overlapping lines, and your most recent message wasn't there at all.  I clicked "reply" at the top of the thread, but that link was dead.

              I was using my desktop computer at the time.  So I opened up my newer netbook and tried again.  This time I couldn't get past the list of messages with truncated abstracts at all - my netbook froze on "loading" when I tried.

              So I thought I'd open a new topic and clicked on that link at the top of the truncated message list, but that link didn't work either.

              Someone said the only problem is dead links and that that's easily fixable.  If it IS easily fixable, they are sure taking a long time doing it.  (And that isn't the only problem I continue to have - the freezing is another, and the overlapping lines another.  I also don't see data sets in any way I can make use of them.  I had none of these problems on either of my computers with the old forum version.)

              I keep trying but have started to avoid ever going directly to the site - I'm just waiting for the group emails and hoping that if I want to reply to something that I'll be able to.

              Gail

              _

              On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Inga Aksamit <Iaksamit@...> wrote:

              I do use the files when I'm looking for specific information about equipment or meal planning and have found the detailed spreadsheets, lists and articles to be helpful. I just checked the web version of the site and I can pull up messages and files as before but it looks like the old format so I'm probably not seeing the changes (aka "improvements") yet.

              Inga Aksamit
              Mobile: 415-470-1812
              Email: Iaksamit@...
              Twitter.com/IngaAksamit
              About Me: about.me/IngasAdventures

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 17, 2013
                I'm adding to my list of major shortcomings of the new setup the following:

                1.  Moderators can no longer allow public access to anything in a group.  We used to be able to let the public browse our links.  We used (at least if we were members) to be able to use Google.com to search messages.  We can't do that anymore either.  The control panel for moderators is far more limited than what it used to be.

                2. The search conversations box (which does not allow advanced search as before), causes "404" page not found errors all of the time.  It is a totally worthless search function.

                Because I can't search past messages so easily, can the member who did a trial bulletin board setup for the group to try out, reach me offline again?  this is something I want to explore again.

                Roleigh

                _

                To: Roleigh Martin <marti124@...>