RE: RE: Trip recap and photos

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013

      Thx.  That's the info I was after.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi John,

      To be honest, we didn't do much actual running. I planned on doing much more, but didn't factor in the technical terrain. There just weren't a lot of times that I felt I could open up and run (especially with blisters on my toes...for some reason they hurt more when I tried to run).

      That said, we did push a pretty fast hiking pace. We would usually break camp and get on the trail by 5:45, which was an awesome time of the morning. Some of those sunrises will stay with me forever. We'd go until about noon, stop for about 45 minutes for lunch, and then go until about 4 or 5. So, we were averaging about 2 1/2 miles per hour for 10 or 11 hours. This included a lot of stops along the way for pictures, refilling and treating water, stopping to talk to other hikers, and short snack breaks. I'd imagine our true hiking pace was closer to 3 miles per hour. And, although we didn't run much, we did keep a strong, steady pace on the uphills, and a fast half-shuffle, half-jog kind of thing on the flats and downhills.

      All of us have completed ultra trail races before. One of the guys is doing a 100 mile race in Big Bear next weekend, so we are used to pushing beyond what is comfortable, and we (or at least I) find some satisfaction in suffering a little.

      I did my best to consume about 3,500 calories/day, and lost at least 9 pounds on the trip.

      Hope this answers your questions,