Re: [John Muir Trail] Trip recap and photos

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013
      "Was that thunder?"

      Barbara

      On Sep 13, 2013, at 10:14 AM, <dax@...> wrote:

      Doug,

      Funny, we actually talked about making a video on the hike (although we didn't). I would definitely have to include:

      "how much does your pack weigh?"

      "look, a lake"

      "Only 10 more passes"

      "Look how beautiful that is, I think I'll poop there."

      "What's that smell?"

      "how many calories is that?"

      "Is that wind or a bear?"

      Any other contributions?

      Dax
      dirtyrunning.com

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Dax

      When does the video  Shit JMTers say come out?

      Doug

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013

        I'm curious when you do 25-30 mile days with lots of elevation gain (like days 1,4,5,6 or 7) are you just hiking really fast or actually running?  Or hiking very long hours?  What do you think your typical pace was?

        For me an 18 mi day was a very long day (I avg a little less than 2mph counting breaks) and I could only do 18 mi a couple times and I felt consequences the next day.  Obviously there are folks out there much stronger than I, but I'm curious how you faster folks do it.

        Also, how many calories per day do you consume to sustain you on this fast pace.

        --John

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <dax@...> wrote:

        Hi everyone,

        I just wanted to share a link to my trip report. Two friends and I completed the amazing 9-day journey on 9/1.

      • dax_ross
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 13, 2013

          Hi John,

          To be honest, we didn't do much actual running. I planned on doing much more, but didn't factor in the technical terrain. There just weren't a lot of times that I felt I could open up and run (especially with blisters on my toes...for some reason they hurt more when I tried to run).

          That said, we did push a pretty fast hiking pace. We would usually break camp and get on the trail by 5:45, which was an awesome time of the morning. Some of those sunrises will stay with me forever. We'd go until about noon, stop for about 45 minutes for lunch, and then go until about 4 or 5. So, we were averaging about 2 1/2 miles per hour for 10 or 11 hours. This included a lot of stops along the way for pictures, refilling and treating water, stopping to talk to other hikers, and short snack breaks. I'd imagine our true hiking pace was closer to 3 miles per hour. And, although we didn't run much, we did keep a strong, steady pace on the uphills, and a fast half-shuffle, half-jog kind of thing on the flats and downhills.

          All of us have completed ultra trail races before. One of the guys is doing a 100 mile race in Big Bear next weekend, so we are used to pushing beyond what is comfortable, and we (or at least I) find some satisfaction in suffering a little.

          I did my best to consume about 3,500 calories/day, and lost at least 9 pounds on the trip.

          Hope this answers your questions,

          Dax

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <yahoo@...> wrote:

          I'm curious when you do 25-30 mile days with lots of elevation gain (like days 1,4,5,6 or 7) are you just hiking really fast or actually running?  Or hiking very long hours?  What do you think your typical pace was?

          For me an 18 mi day was a very long day (I avg a little less than 2mph counting breaks) and I could only do 18 mi a couple times and I felt consequences the next day.  Obviously there are folks out there much stronger than I, but I'm curious how you faster folks do it.

          Also, how many calories per day do you consume to sustain you on this fast pace.

          --John

          --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <dax@...> wrote:

          Hi everyone,

          I just wanted to share a link to my trip report. Two friends and I completed the amazing 9-day journey on 9/1.

        • john_friend