Re: [John Muir Trail] A water-powered (uses a chemical reaction, not flow-powered) recharger, lighter than solar chargers

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2013
      Well you discovered a problem I have in multi-tasking, I did not notice that paragraph.  Pretty much blows this choice for JMT hikers.

      _

      On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Rick Martyn <rickmartyn@...> wrote:

      It appears from their site that it takes one $4 "puck" to charge a smartphone one time.

      The myFC PowerTrekk Puck is the fuel pack used by myFC PowerTrekk to carry out the fuel-cell based charge. You simply insert a Puck into your myFC PowerTrekk and add a little water, then you can immediately use your myFC PowerTrekk to charge the battery in your USB device. Each Puck will provide more than 4 watt hours of energy, which provides about a full charge to a standard smartphone. myFC PowerTrekk Pucks are sold in 3-packs

      Rick M.

      On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      This is very interesting.  weighs 8.5 oz the whole system.  Lighter than most solar charging systems (which require sun).  Lots of information here.

      Big downside I see is the cost, $200.

      _