Re: [John Muir Trail] Are Digest Subscribers unable to make use of messages like Gail? (Since new format?)

  • Bill Cathey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2013
      I'm not on digest, but receive the group's e-mails through Mail on my iPad. I haven't had any problems with the changes ... Until tonight.

      Usually, I would click on the "Start a New Topic" link at the bottom of any e-mail from the group, then paste in a URL with some text into the body text field on the webpage when it opened in my browser, when I've found an online article that may be of interest to members. Now, after the browser opens up to the group web page, it also opens up one of those JavaScript-type pop up windows over the webpage to compose the e-mail. And that won't allow me to tap and get the Copy/Paste menu on my iPad as before. Tapping in the popup window will only bring up my iPad's keyboard so I would have to type everything (including the URLs, which are difficult to remember).

      I tried sending the message directly by e-mail and see on the web page that it showed up at 8pm, but it didn't show up in my e-mail program. Is that normal?

      I also saw on the web page earlier an example of the text lines overlapping each other. And the first time I brought up the group's web page (last night), it didn't show the text listing the e-mail addresses for posting to the group, etc. It did show up tonight when I looked again.

      I also was wanting to search for a message tonight from several weeks ago and came across the problem (mentioned previously) of only being able to search for messages by number. That's not very useful.

      bill

      On Sep 11, 2013, at 9:44 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:

      Are other digest subscribers having the same problem as Gail?
      _

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2013
          Gail,

          Thanks for your continued interest.  I hope others join in.  We need group input for sure.

          I think Wired (Magazine) and the Wall Street Journal are the two best reporting organizations who might dig deeper.  We'd want to give them links to the massive dissatisfaction raised so far (posted in this thread).

          I talked to Mrs. Ladd the other day and she said John (her husband) should be back from his JMT hike a week from tomorrow.  I want to coordinate my campaign with him (and any other articulate writers we have in this group).  If you're interested in helping form the communique, feel free to respond via this thread as your input can perhaps stimulate others.

          I'm tempted to have the communique have an appendix with specifics and have the general letter written briefly and very much to the point.  I like the analogy of how one uses a public library and to indicate what this upgrade has done to the group just as if they had done the same to a library (eg, removing abstracts, keeping only the first 30 bytes of it; removing title/author search and only allowing keyword searching; stacking shelves (default order) in last bought first displayed order (the new default), and changing the physical location of all contents without updating the cross-references and links in place).

          I've never gotten so irritated by a software upgrade in my life like this one.

          Roleigh

          _