RE: Are Digest Subscribers unable to make use of messages like Gail? (Since new format?)

  • forgetwho
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11 7:02 PM

      Roleigh, I decided to see what would happen if I tried to open messages on my netbook (I'd been using my older desktop computer).  And I'm able to open messages on my netbook without it freezing on "loading" as was now happening all the time on my desktop computer. However, when I looked back at the main thread on this topic - the one about registering complaints - those messages are still displaying with overlapping lines and missing parts, even on my netbook (which is 1-1/2 years old).

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <roleigh@...> wrote:

      Are other digest subscribers having the same problem as Gail?
      _

      From: <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 4:48 AM
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Digest Number 3176
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

      2 New Messages

      Digest #3176

      Messages

      Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:28 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

      john_friend

      Tugg has told me that they are working on trying to set it up at
      the Century Theaters in Mountain View for mid October. Hopefully,
      I will know later in the week if it gets a theater there and can
      then share the exact details here when I know so folks can make
      plans to attend.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <xparrot9@...> wrote:

      Hey Jason,
      Jason from the MP here. We're using a company called Tugg to set
      up our screenings now. They have deals with theaters and make it
      really easy. I believe it's already in the works, but if not
      here's the link just in case. Also, for anyone else interested in
      bringing it to their neck of the woods. If you're the promoter
      you get 5 percent of the ticket sales.

      http://www.tugg.com/titles/mile-mile-and-a-half

      Thanks, and let me know if you guys have any questions.

      Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:05 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "kennethjessett@..." kennethjessett@...

      Roleigh, I only use the site to read and post messages and I don't bother with the files or other links.

      Whilst I'd like to post my trip report, it takes a URL to do that, and so I cannot post it unless I want to create a blog somewhere, which I really don't want the bother of.

      As far as I'm concerned, this site is no better nor no worse than most around and I don't see any difference over the last few months. In any case, I suspect most just use it to see what others are talking about.

      My computer is so slow these days and freezes constantly, so I can't really tell if this site has changed from fast to slow, as some say it has, except to say it is adequate for what it is supposed to do. And after all, it is free.

      Ken.

      GROUP FOOTER MESSAGE
      Please strip out "replied-to" text if not necessary to your reply.  Failure to strip makes it hard for our Daily Digest members to find the new postings among the repeats. For the crib sheet to take on JMT: http://tinyurl.com/6j6axeq - Prints on 1 sheet all the essential phone numbers/addresses you'll want for all services needed on or off the trail. We encourage all to join the JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar Yahoo Group, just send a blank email to:
      JohnMuirTrail_Sidebar-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

    • Bill Cathey
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 11 9:03 PM
        I'm not on digest, but receive the group's e-mails through Mail on my iPad. I haven't had any problems with the changes ... Until tonight.

        Usually, I would click on the "Start a New Topic" link at the bottom of any e-mail from the group, then paste in a URL with some text into the body text field on the webpage when it opened in my browser, when I've found an online article that may be of interest to members. Now, after the browser opens up to the group web page, it also opens up one of those JavaScript-type pop up windows over the webpage to compose the e-mail. And that won't allow me to tap and get the Copy/Paste menu on my iPad as before. Tapping in the popup window will only bring up my iPad's keyboard so I would have to type everything (including the URLs, which are difficult to remember).

        I tried sending the message directly by e-mail and see on the web page that it showed up at 8pm, but it didn't show up in my e-mail program. Is that normal?

        I also saw on the web page earlier an example of the text lines overlapping each other. And the first time I brought up the group's web page (last night), it didn't show the text listing the e-mail addresses for posting to the group, etc. It did show up tonight when I looked again.

        I also was wanting to search for a message tonight from several weeks ago and came across the problem (mentioned previously) of only being able to search for messages by number. That's not very useful.

        bill

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12 9:51 AM
            Gail,

            Thanks for your continued interest.  I hope others join in.  We need group input for sure.

            I think Wired (Magazine) and the Wall Street Journal are the two best reporting organizations who might dig deeper.  We'd want to give them links to the massive dissatisfaction raised so far (posted in this thread).

            I talked to Mrs. Ladd the other day and she said John (her husband) should be back from his JMT hike a week from tomorrow.  I want to coordinate my campaign with him (and any other articulate writers we have in this group).  If you're interested in helping form the communique, feel free to respond via this thread as your input can perhaps stimulate others.

            I'm tempted to have the communique have an appendix with specifics and have the general letter written briefly and very much to the point.  I like the analogy of how one uses a public library and to indicate what this upgrade has done to the group just as if they had done the same to a library (eg, removing abstracts, keeping only the first 30 bytes of it; removing title/author search and only allowing keyword searching; stacking shelves (default order) in last bought first displayed order (the new default), and changing the physical location of all contents without updating the cross-references and links in place).

            I've never gotten so irritated by a software upgrade in my life like this one.

            Roleigh

            _