Re: You can register your dislike or like of the new Yahoo Groups format here

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
      Roleigh, I only use the site to read and post messages and I don't bother with the files or other links.

      Whilst I'd like to post my trip report, it takes a URL to do that, and so I cannot post it unless I want to create a blog somewhere, which I really don't want the bother of.

      As far as I'm concerned, this site is no better nor no worse than most around and I don't see any difference over the last few months. In any case, I suspect most just use it to see what others are talking about.

      My computer is so slow these days and freezes constantly, so I can't really tell if this site has changed from fast to slow, as some say it has, except to say it is adequate for what it is supposed to do. And after all, it is free.

      Ken.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10, 2013
        to expand on my earlier analogy, Yahoo has removed the ability to do "author search" and "title search" in using a library.

        _

        On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
        The problem is that the Yahoo's idea of simple is that one would never want to do advance search of old messages.  The new GUI only gives you a choice of a message number or keywords -- they do not allow a popup asking you who the message writer was from, nor the date range, or whether the words appear in the subject or the body of the message.

        Often you'll find on this board some real experts and you'll want to note what else that person has said on a subject.  Yahoo has taken away that ability.

        Yahoo's idea of simple is that your brain is simple and you'll never want anything specific.  I'm afraid what is simple here is the designer's IQ (or management's IQ) not the user's IQ.

        People who hike the JMT are a little bit more intelligent than the new format presumes them to be.

        _

        On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

        Oh dear!

        I'm a user who wants it simple, I'm tired of the nerds, geeks, screwballs keeping it all to themselves. They invented the bloody things and then went all Gollum on us with the "My Precious" routine.

        So, easier? Yes please.

        Ken.
        No Facebook, No idiot pod, no twittering, just you and me having a conversation like two intelligent people should.

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2013
          Well, this is interesting. I posted this message (or meant to) to this site and nothing happened so I supposed it was another one of those 'lost in space' messages, so I wrote the other one, and now this one appears. So, maybe it is Yahoos fault after all? Down with the tyrant Yahoo!!!

          Ken.