Re: You can register your dislike or like of the new Yahoo Groups format here

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 10 9:32 AM
      Roleigh, I only use the site to read and post messages and I don't bother with the files or other links.

      Whilst I'd like to post my trip report, it takes a URL to do that, and so I cannot post it unless I want to create a blog somewhere, which I really don't want the bother of.

      As far as I'm concerned, this site is no better nor no worse than most around and I don't see any difference over the last few months. In any case, I suspect most just use it to see what others are talking about.

      My computer is so slow these days and freezes constantly, so I can't really tell if this site has changed from fast to slow, as some say it has, except to say it is adequate for what it is supposed to do. And after all, it is free.

      Ken.
    • longritchie
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 10 3:00 PM

        The comments to that were pretty funny. They started out trashing Yahoo's change and then went to trashing Google's various changes and finally every "site revamp in the history of site revamps".

        I'm new here and don't have too much invested in this group but if it were me I'd remake this forum somewhere else. Even if you can fix all the broken pieces here what's to keep Yahoo from doing this again some day?

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Some interesting posts on slashdot about Yahoo and the changes:

        http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/09/04/1619216/users-revolt-over-yahoo-groups-update

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <roleigh@...> wrote:

        You can register your dislike or like of the new Yahoo Groups format here

        You can see the comments are about 100-to-1 against the new format.  I'm in agreement with the consensus, so much has been broken.  Each member can vote on existing comments (your vote is considered a "yes" vote, no "no" voting is allowed), you are allowed to share 50 votes.

        I urge all members to register votes to the comments they most agree with.  You can enter new complaints but I think all complaint comments have been made.  I added one but it appears to be redundant to many others.

        I can't believe they did not add the option for moderators to "opt-out" of the new format, nor was advance notice sent to moderators about this.  This is worse than the old "New Coke" fiasco in my opinion.

        http://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/209451-us-groups/category/67137-defects-or-bugs?page=4

        _

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 10 3:56 PM
          Oh dear!

          I'm a user who wants it simple, I'm tired of the nerds, geeks, screwballs keeping it all to themselves. They invented the bloody things and then went all Gollum on us with the "My Precious" routine.

          So, easier? Yes please.

          Ken.
          No Facebook, No idiot pod, no twittering, just you and me having a conversation like two intelligent people should.
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 10 4:33 PM
            The problem is that the Yahoo's idea of simple is that one would never want to do advance search of old messages.  The new GUI only gives you a choice of a message number or keywords -- they do not allow a popup asking you who the message writer was from, nor the date range, or whether the words appear in the subject or the body of the message.

            Often you'll find on this board some real experts and you'll want to note what else that person has said on a subject.  Yahoo has taken away that ability.

            Yahoo's idea of simple is that your brain is simple and you'll never want anything specific.  I'm afraid what is simple here is the designer's IQ (or management's IQ) not the user's IQ.

            People who hike the JMT are a little bit more intelligent than the new format presumes them to be.

            _

              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 11 5:51 AM
                Well, this is interesting. I posted this message (or meant to) to this site and nothing happened so I supposed it was another one of those 'lost in space' messages, so I wrote the other one, and now this one appears. So, maybe it is Yahoos fault after all? Down with the tyrant Yahoo!!!

                Ken.