Hiking the JMT in October

  • kara8sweeney
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013
      I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!
    • Rick Martyn
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013
        I'm guessing that the odds of getting hit by a substantial snowstorm go up quite a bit by late October.

        Rick M.

        On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM, kara8sweeney <kara8sweeney@...> wrote:

        I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

      • nedtibbits
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013
          Mountain Education ran a trip down the JMT many years ago (1984?) between 9/15 and 10/15 and got snowed on twice (small amounts) and had freezing temperatures every night. It was still a beautiful trip with sufficient water sources to not have to worry about that.

          Watch the skies for changes in the weather and know your exit routes!

          Ned Tibbits, Director
          Mountain Education
          www.mountaineducation.org

          Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:39 PM
          Subject: [John Muir Trail] Hiking the JMT in October

          I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

        • skrapp138

            Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:39 PM

            I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

          • Kim Fishburn

              Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:39 PM

              I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

            • johndittli
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 9, 2013

                This conversation seems to come up every fall. After 33 Octobers in the High Sierra I''ll say this: it can be beautifully balmy during the day with crisp. long nights. It can snow upwards of two feet in a single storm in the first week. The weather forecasts are only dependable about 5 to 7 days out.

                If you plan on an extended trip in fall (or winter), plan for snow and having a plan to hole up for a while if you get caught. Have the strength and knowledge to get out either quickly in a storm or to be able to slog and navigate in knee deep snow. Know the quick exit points and be prepared to use them at a moments notice. Take a sat phone or transistor weather radio and check weather forecasts daily.

                It is a fabulous time to be out!

                JD

                Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:39 PM

                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 10, 2013
                  I definitely second that point, John! It is a great time of year to be out, just be aware of what might come, be prepared for the worst (holed up for awhile), and know the shortest routes out.

                  Ned Tibbits, Director
                  Mountain Education
                  www.mountaineducation.org

                  Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 12:39 PM

                  I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

                • NotGonnaTellYou
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 13, 2013
                    I may be up for it this year again, although I already visited the Sierra twice this year and have my vacation budget stressed to the limit. Might want to contact me offline of you're serious, because with a hiking partner I may just have enough reason come back out west one more time this year.

                    Resupply may be possible at Vermillion through 10-15, the rest you have to pack or cache or have somebody meet you. I've been looking at doing an October hike for a few years now, but every time something else came up to keep me from coming out west.

                    I have the gear for pretty much any condition, the problem with October is that you have to pack for the worst and most of the time you don't need the gear and it'll slow you down.

                    Peter

                    --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kara8sweeney" <kara8sweeney@...> wrote:

                    > I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!

                  • Dittli-Goethals
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 14, 2013
                      and he's back!! Peter, you have more web names then??? Well then something! LOL welcome back, it's been lonely here.

                      --
                      John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                      John Dittli Photography

                      2010  IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner
                    • Peter Burke
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 16, 2013
                        I only show up randomly over here - stopped getting the direct emails a long time ago, and now read web only. When I connected here last week this yahoo thing put me on a new page and asked me to enter a big field about my "location" - so I didn't tell them and it immediately took that entry as my new name here. So much for user interface testing :-)

                        Let's see if it changes it back to a proper name this time around.

                        As for back - yeah, for now, but I sure wish I could turn around and hit the trail one more time this year. I'm actually contemplating it pretty seriously.

                        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Dittli-Goethals <johndittli@...> wrote:

                        > and he's back!! Peter, you have more web names then??? Well then something!
                        > LOL welcome back, it's been lonely here.
                        >

                        > On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 1:15 PM, NotGonnaTellYou <pburke@...>wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > I may be up for it this year again, although I already visited the Sierra
                        > > twice this year and have my vacation budget stressed to the limit. Might
                        > > want to contact me offline of you're serious, because with a hiking partner
                        > > I may just have enough reason come back out west one more time this year.
                        > >
                        > > Resupply may be possible at Vermillion through 10-15, the rest you have to
                        > > pack or cache or have somebody meet you. I've been looking at doing an
                        > > October hike for a few years now, but every time something else came up to
                        > > keep me from coming out west.
                        > >
                        > > I have the gear for pretty much any condition, the problem with October is
                        > > that you have to pack for the worst and most of the time you don't need the
                        > > gear and it'll slow you down.
                        > >
                        > > Peter
                        > >
                        > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kara8sweeney" <kara8sweeney@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I just decided to take some time off work in October and am hoping to
                        > > hike the JMT. Is it accurate that all resupply locations will be closed? Is
                        > > this just a terrible idea? Can anyone give me some feedback? thanks!
                        > > >

                        > --
                        > John Dittli/Leslie Goethals
                        > John Dittli Photography
                        > www.johndittli.com
                        > 760-934-3505
                        >
                        > *Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail*
                        > *2010 IPPY Gold Medal Award Winner*
                        > http://johndittli.com/site/content/view/57/48/

                      • Robert
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 16, 2013
                          Hey Peter, I'll be hitting the trail at Whitney Portal around 1:00PM tomorrow for one last getaway, pack your gear up and lets rock a quick trip. I was going to do a fastpack of the whole trail, but with the lack of daylight hours in which to hike without using a headlamp, I'm opting for a 2-3 night trip starting at WP and going out over Kearsarge Pass. Guitar Lake is calling my name for some rock jumpin' and swimming!

                          Whitney Permits are pretty easy to score right now as they are reporting a lot of no-shows, and havent been turning people away according to the ranger I spoke with.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 16, 2013
                            I'm 2000 miles away from the Lone Pine Ranger Station, so even if I wanted to hop over and grab a permit to do a short northbound, it's not going to happen unless I get all my ducks in a row and plan a 3 week absence from work (pesky nuisance). Can't be there 1pm tomorrow, sorry.

                            October definitely means many hours hiking with headlamp and/or moon light.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 16, 2013
                              I guess that would be a problem;)! No worries, hopefully you get out in Oct.!

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013
                                If weather looks bad, I probably won't do the JMT. Any other recommendations for about a 200-mile hike in October, not too far from the Bay Area? I did the PCT last year, so I'm thinking maybe something different.... and something at a lower elevation so it's not so cold.... Recommendations greatly appreciated!
                                Thanks for all the input!
                                Kara

                                > I guess that would be a problem;)! No worries, hopefully you get out in Oct.!
                                >
                                > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Burke" <pburke@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'm 2000 miles away from the Lone Pine Ranger Station, so even if I wanted to hop over and grab a permit to do a short northbound, it's not going to happen unless I get all my ducks in a row and plan a 3 week absence from work (pesky nuisance). Can't be there 1pm tomorrow, sorry.
                                > >
                                > > October definitely means many hours hiking with headlamp and/or moon light.
                                > >

                                > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Hey Peter, I'll be hitting the trail at Whitney Portal around 1:00PM tomorrow for one last getaway, pack your gear up and lets rock a quick trip. I was going to do a fastpack of the whole trail, but with the lack of daylight hours in which to hike without using a headlamp, I'm opting for a 2-3 night trip starting at WP and going out over Kearsarge Pass. Guitar Lake is calling my name for some rock jumpin' and swimming!
                                > > >
                                > > > Whitney Permits are pretty easy to score right now as they are reporting a lot of no-shows, and havent been turning people away according to the ranger I spoke with.

                              • Bill Hegardt
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013
                                  Here's one idea that occurred to me because it was mentioned on this forum a while back (I think). SF to Yosemite:
                                  Not exactly a back country experience though.

                                  - Bill

                                • outhiking_55
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 17, 2013

                                    You won't be able to do 200 miles, but don't forget about Henry Coe State park and the Ostrembra Wilderness east of Morgan Hill. You'd want to check on the water situation first. I've had some great wildlife experiences there. From one point you can see Half Dome if you're there early in the morning before the haze builds in the Central Valley. You could also do the Lost Coast, or the Snow Mountain Wilderness.

                                    Kim