RE: RE: Re: Steripen vs. Sawyer squeeze filter

  • john_friend
    Message 1 of 21 , Sep 6, 2013

      Choose your "poison" is an interesting choice of words...

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

       ....or a Steripen, or a filter or... nothing at all! Choose your poison and hike your hike!

      John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Once again!! Micropur tablets are all you need.

      The real Ken.
    • john_friend
      Message 2 of 21 , Sep 7, 2013

        I looked for where I got that information from and did not find it so perhaps that was not correct information.  This is what I found on the CDC website:

        People become infected with Giardia by swallowingGiardia cysts (hard shells containing Giardia) found in contaminated food or water. Cysts are instantly infectious once they leave the host through feces (poop)[2]. An infected person might shed 1-10 billion cysts daily in their feces (poop) and this might last for several months[2,6,7]. However, swallowing as few as 10 cysts might cause someone to become ill[2,6]Giardia may be passed person-to-person or even animal-to-person[2,3]. Also, oral-anal contact during sex has been known to cause infection[4,5]. Symptoms of giardiasis normally begin 1 to 3 weeks after a person has been infected[6].

        --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

         "Further, once you get Giardia, you are a carrier for life and it's in your poop."

        Can you support that assertion?

        If it's true I must be a rare exception. I tested positive in the past. I was tested some years later and the result was negative.