Re: [John Muir Trail] Potential Mile, Mile and a Half Screen in Bay Area

  • Marc Lewis
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 6, 2013
      I can get 5 people to commit FOR SURE!  Maybe more.  I'll mention it to my group of 12 hiking Whitney next weekend to drum up more support.

      On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM, <yahoo@...> wrote:

      I'm sure many of you are aware of the film Mile, Mile & A Half made by a group of film artists about their journey on the JMT (see the link above for trailers) in an epic snow year.  After doing the JMT this summer, I want to see the movie on the big screen with some friends and family and currently the only way to get it to come to the big screen in your area is for someone to arrange a screening.  There's a system through tugg.com for doing so and I'm thinking of trying to set up a screening in the SF Bay Area.

      But, to get a screening to happen you have to get 65-75 people to prebuy tickets (I assume it would cost the same as a typical movie fare) and since I don't have that many friends locally, I'm wondering how many of you all on the JMT group would be interested in bringing your friends to see a screening.  It would probably be mid-week like on a Wednesday around 7:30pm at a theater in Palo Alto, Mountain View or Santa Clara and probably in mid October.

      Is this a good idea?  If you want to encourage me to try to get this to happen, let me know how many folks you think you could bring so I can guage the chances of getting to the minimum.

      Based on the trailers and the subject matter, I would think the potential audience would be anyone who's ever done the JMT, ever thinking about doing the JMT sometime in the future or anyone who loves seeing a beautiful film about some of the most amazing scenery in the world.

    • Jason Fitzpatrick
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 6, 2013
        Hey guys,
        Sorry I'm just now getting back to you guys on this we're up in Oregon at PCT days. You should definitely get a Tugg screening going in the Bay Area. Really anyone who wants to get a screening in their town should look into it Tugg has deals with theaters all over the country. We signed up with them to get the film out there as much as possible, and they make it really easy. Also, if you're the promoter in your town you make %5 of the ticket sales. They are also set up for fundraisers. Our first two happened in Palm Springs and La Jolla on Wednesday and were a big success!

        If you're interested here's the link:

        http://www.tugg.com/titles/mile-mile-and-a-half

        Feel free to contact us if you have any questions as well. Thanks guys!
        Jason

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: mechanicalmarc@...
        Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 10:25:49 -0700
        Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Potential Mile, Mile and a Half Screen in Bay Area

      • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 7, 2013
          There are a couple of fellows on the trail right now who live in the bay area who may be very interested in this and might be able to help put it together. They should be back in a couple of weeks.

          The real Ken.

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 7, 2013
            Thanks! We've had a few requests so keep your eyes open, someone else might get one going.

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: kenjessett@...
            Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 13:32:48 +0000

> [...]

            > Is this a good idea? If you want to encourage me to try to get this to happen, let me know how many folks you think you could bring so I can guage the chances of getting to the minimum.
            >
            > Based on the trailers and the subject matter, I would think the potential audience would be anyone who's ever done the JMT, ever thinking about doing the JMT sometime in the future or anyone who loves seeing a beautiful film about some of the most amazing scenery in the world.

          • john_friend
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 7, 2013

              I've filed a request for a screening with tugg.com in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area (SF Bay Area - south bay) for mid-October.  I will let folks here know if it gets accepted and when it would be.

            • Jason Fitzpatrick
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 7, 2013
                Woo Hoo! Once it's approved we'll be in touch. Let us know if you need anything.

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: yahoo@...
                Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 10:33:25 -0700

                I've filed a request for a screening with tugg.com in the Palo Alto/Mountain View area (SF Bay Area - south bay) for mid-October.  I will let folks here know if it gets accepted and when it would be.

              • jasongrosser
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 10, 2013
                  I would definitely be into that. I could probably round up a few friends to come too.
                  The Aquarius in palo alto would be a good place to start. Or if there was a LOT of interest the Fox theatre in Redwood city (they are showing the Warren Miller flick there in Nov).
                • Jason Fitzpatrick
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 10, 2013
                    Hey Jason,
                    Jason from the MP here. We're using a company called Tugg to set up our screenings now. They have deals with theaters and make it really easy. I believe it's already in the works, but if not here's the link just in case. Also, for anyone else interested in bringing it to their neck of the woods. If you're the promoter you get 5 percent of the ticket sales.

                    http://www.tugg.com/titles/mile-mile-and-a-half

                    Thanks, and let me know if you guys have any questions.

                    To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jasongrosser@...
                    Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 04:35:06 +0000

                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 16, 2013
                        The Emeryville showing was a little too far for me for a weeknight, but MView, Palo Alto, Santa Clara or Sunnyvale would be awesome!

                        Thanks for organizing.

                        -PM (long time lurker, first time poster)
                      • georgia131

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013

                            The Bay Area screening of Mile, Mile and a Half is on!   It's at the AMC Mercado 20 theater in Santa Clara (right off 101) Wednesday, Oct. 16, 7:30pm.

                            For the screening to happen, we need 73 advance ticket purchases in the next two weeks.  You can see details and/or purchase a ticket here: http://www.tugg.com/events/5651.  If you're in the area, please come and join us!

                            So, if you live in the Bay Area or have friends in the Bay Area, please spread the word to them about this unique showing.  If you've been on the JMT, you'll certainly enjoy seeing parts of it on the big screen.  If you're contemplating hiking the JMT, you'll love to see what you have to look forward to.  If you just love seeing the great outdoors, this scenery is next to impossible to beat.

                          • Jason Fitzpatrick
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 20, 2013
                              Woo Hoo!!! Excited you guys were able to set it up. I'll get in touch with you shortly.
                              Jason

                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 25, 2013

                                Just to let any Bay Area participants know, ticket reservations are going well for the Bay Area screening of Mile, Mile and a Half in Santa Clara at the AMC Mercado 20.  We're almost halfway to the number of advance ticket reservations we need to confirm the event and make sure it happens.  If you live in the area, please come and join us and bring some friends.  To assure the event happens, our minimum number of tickets (41 more to go) must be reserved in advance (by Oct. 9).

                                Here's a synopsis of the film I came across that I particularly like:

                                "Mile… Mile & A Half" is not your typical hiking and nature documentary. It is about the

                                journey of a group of professional artists who hiked the John Muir Trail during an epic

                                snow year. They hiked 219 Miles in 25 days. Along the way, they were joined by

                                musicians, painters, teachers and other adventure-seekers. They set out to capture the

                                trail, but ended up documenting how the wilderness captured them. The film has been

                                described as "inspiring and life evaluating", "breathtakingly gorgeous", "a fun journey"

                                and much more.

                                Reserve your tickets here: http://www.tugg.com/go/qbvmjv

                                Check out various trailers here: http://themuirproject.com/mmah/videos/

                                For anyone who's thinking about doing the JMT and has questions, we'll have an informal Q&A after the movie if you want to ask any questions (equipment, resupply, pace, weather, time of year, mosquitoes, water, training, solo hiking, etc...).

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 1, 2013

                                  We have met our minimum ticket sales and the Oct. 16th screening of Mile, Mile & A Half at AMC Mercado 20 in Santa Clara, CA has been confirmed!  There are still 75 seats left if anyone else wants to come.  Tickets must be purchased in advance here: http://www.tugg.com/events/5651

                                • john_friend
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 5, 2013

                                    The SF Bay Area screening in Santa Clara, CA for Wed, October 16 looks like it might sell out.  Only 29 tickets left.  If you were thinking about joining us, you should probably purchase your tickets soon.  Tickets must be purchased online in advance here: http://www.tugg.com/events/5651

                                  • jmtorbust
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Oct 16, 2013

                                       Hi Everyone,

                                      Just a quick warning: if you tried to click the link to buy tickets for the Santa Clara screening through the Muir Project website, the link took you to the page for the Irvine screening.  I just realized that I purchased tickets for the wrong screening and now can't attend.  Pretty upsetting.  I checked and the link that John posted goes to the correct event page on Tugg, it's the link on the Muir Project website that misdirects.  It was totally my fault for not paying more attention and trusting the link, but I thought I would warn other people just in case.

                                      If anyone has an extra 2-3 tickets or does not plan to attend, I will gladly buy your tickets.  I was using the event to try to convince two of my friends to join me in 2014 :/.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Oct 17, 2013
                                        Sorry about that everyone!

                                        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Oct 17, 2013
                                          Well, I don't live in the area, but if the one event was sold out, why not host another?

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Oct 18, 2013

                                            I was at the Santa Clara screening and the movie was great! I am so thankful that a "bonus" screening was had since I was out of town back in June when it came around. Awesome and Inspiring!
                                          • Jason Fitzpatrick
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Oct 18, 2013
                                              Thanks Lila! So glad you enjoyed the film. Looks like we'll have another one in the bay area December 5th, as well as a lot more around the country. Check out the list here if you would like to see it in the theater.

                                              P.S.   I went to two this week in Irvine and Ventura and had a great time at both. Thanks again to everyone who came out to our screenings this week!

                                              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: lilagray@...
                                              Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:24:17 -0700

                                              I was at the Santa Clara screening and the movie was great! I am so thankful that a "bonus" screening was had since I was out of town back in June when it came around. Awesome and Inspiring!

                                            • Don Nicholas
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Oct 18, 2013
                                                Jason,
                                                I have been trying to learn everything I can about the JMT. I am planning on doing this hike with my 13 year old in two years.

                                                I bought your film on iTunes and have enjoyed it three times this week already. I am jealous and inspired. Thank you so much for making this film.

                                                Don

                                                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: lilagray@...
                                                Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 16:24:17 -0700