RE: Flash Flood Hazard

  • krishna9012
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2013

      Mike:

      Both those bridges on the San Joaquim river in Goddard Canyon are far above the water line of the river.  In fact the river is about 50+ ft down in the canyon. Incidentally I have seen a few camp sites between the JMT and the river canyon after the bridge near Piute pass trail junction.  The next set of decent camp sites are to the right of the JMT just before it crosses the Goddard Canyon bridge.  There are also some camp sites on the east side of the bridge also before starting the switch backs to Evolution meadow.

      Krishna

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Are there areas of the JMT particularly subject to flash flooding? Areas of most immediate concern for me are the Piute Creek (Piute/French Canyon) and S. Fork San Joaquin/Goddard Canyon areas. I note there are several JMT bridges in this stretch. Is it reasonable to assume that terrain above bridge level is safe (for camping), or are the bridges inundated during high water events?

      Thanks. This group is incredible for its reservoir of institutional knowledge and wisdom.

      Mike Smith